QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I can't think of a recent trade of a future first rounder that's worked. However, Trent Richardson (Indy), RGIII come to mind as mistakes. Heck, we haven't had luck trading up either between Hill and Sanchez. Usually it's the team trading down that makes off like a bandit. I agree 100 percent we should be taking BPA or trading down. Mariota looks good but there's something that could be said for the system too so if he's there at our pick, great. Otherwise let's not be mortgaging the future.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

One thing I learned about the draft is to not be fixated on 1 player - 9 out of 10 times the outcome is always different. Mariota should be the first QB taken in this draft. He played really well last night and I don't see another QB in this draft that's any good developmental wise after him and Winston. Really question Winston's decision making at times. Both QBs will need solid coaching though.

New GM, Gus Malzahn HC, Marcus Mariota - I could dig that going forward.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Kind of bummed about Mannion last nite. I liked him a lot last year but the few times I've seen him this year I haven't been overly impressed and last night he was not good at all. Not accurate overall, missed some throws and not very athletic.

Big kid with a nice arm but I don't know.

_

4. JStokes

I don't know if you could tell but oh yeah I'm fixated. :D

_

5. JStokes

There is always a first time for everything.

Without a franchise QB, our future is going to look a lot like our past. Bleak.

_

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Mariota is a bust to happen. We should do everything in our power to get Winston. He is a winner.

7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Mariota has a good head on his shoulders and a high football IQ. That makes it a little easier for me to accept his flaws because he seems smart enough to fix them. He bails and runs far too often. That won't happen and it shouldn't happen in the NFL.

I'm also not super impressed with his arm strength. I see a ton of Kaep comparisons but I don't think he has nearly as much zip on his ball as Kaep. Some of his throws float a bit too much.

But he knows how to find the open man, which is something Geno, Vick and Sanchez couldn't really do.

I'm still concerned about his ability to play within the confines of a pro offense, but he seems smart enough that he shouldn't have an issue learning.

Edit: Trading next year's first really shouldn't happen. If we're going to sit Mariota for a year and start a loser at QB, we're going to be really bad again. We're going to want that early first to add a potential star.

Br4d, Turbocharged23 and Brook! like this.
  8. JStokes

I would submit that he doesn't have quite the fastball that Kaep has, but he has so much more touch whereas everything Kaep throws is a fastball.

Mariota floated a screen to his back last night but it had so much touch on it the back stuck his hand up and it just fell to him for a walk in TD.

That throw from Kaep goes out the back of the endzone.

He can make all the throws.

_

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Mariota is smart. One thing impressed me about him last night was he knew what to do and when to do it. I really missed seeing a smart QB under center. Smartness and good decision making are key. Rest can be learned. Mechanics can be fixed. But you can't fix stupid. A good coach like Harbaugh to develop Mariota would mean a perennial play off team in Jets. One can dream right?

almbleamal likes this.
  10. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

There's a first time for anything, but if anyone is able to pull off a successful trade giving up a future first, I doubt it's the Jets.

And yes, I want a franchise QB as well. I just would rather try and get Connor Cook in the second after taking Schreff (spelling?), Peat, Cooper or Randy Gregory. This draft seems a lot more loaded at OLB than the last one and we need a much better offensive line to protect our QB.
    Our division is stacked with good defensive lines and it will help with our QB's development.

11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Yea, despite his arm strength, Kaep has zero touch.

I don't care about this "make all the throws" thing. We said it about Geno (maybe you didn't lol) and Mark.

Making throws to wide open receivers is one thing. I'd like to see him make throws in tight Windows, I haven't seen much of that yet.

But like I said, given his accuracy and smarts, I'm sure it's something he can do.

12. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

So when Winston loses in the playoff, you don't want him anymore right?

21 TD's 17 INT's that's not worthy of any high pick.

almbleamal likes this.
  13. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

If Cook comes out, he's a first rounder. Too many teams need a QB for him to fall to the 2nd.

14. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

Cook most likely will not and shouldn't come out this year. He's too inconsistent. He can string together 5 great drives in a row and then three terrible ones, rarely is there middle ground with him. He has the tools to become a very successful QB, but he really needs another year to work on them.

15. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

From a developmental perspective, agree 100%.

But you could say the same things about Bortles last year, Manuel the year before, Tannehill the year before that, Locker the year before that etc. QB around the league is probably as weak as it has been in a long time. Many teams that thought they had "The Guy" I think are going to be rethinking that this offseason. Talent + Need would push him into the first.

MsuJets likes this.
  16. JStokes

Hey hey HEY!

_

17. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

Oh I agree he'd go in the first round. I think Cook himself said he wouldn't consider leaving unless he was guaranteed a top 10 pick, which I don't think he would be as of right now.

18. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

My final evaluations on Mariota are gonna be on hold until I see him in the CFB playoff but honestly everything he's shown this season shows that he absolutely deserves to be the #1 QB selected.

That said if it looks like we'd have to give up next year's first to get him, I'd be extremely wary.

Izdik's horrific drafting has left us with a roster that is exceptionally underwhelming when it comes to young talent. We don't have a single young stud in the linebacking corps, and despite 2 first round picks in two years invested in the secondary, it's among the worst in the NFL. Our guards are embarrassingly bad, our RT is mediocre, and our LT is both expensive and on the decline. We need multiple good drafts to restock the talent pool before we're really competitive again, and for guys like Pryor and Milliner to suddenly become worthy of the first-round picks we used on them.

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  19. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Losing someone like Cooks always makes a college QB's life harder honestly.

20. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

We HAVE to lose the rest of our games if we want Mariota!