QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

I like Winston more than Mariota- and I think he'll be more realistic given where we're picking. Mariota is a better version of Geno, a spread QB who always makes quick reads to his first option and succeeds because his WRs are faster and significantly better than his competition.

TwoHeadedMonster and RubenDias like this.
  2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

thats completely false, do you even watch Mariota

3. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Do you? My father is an Oregon alum. I bet I've seen more games of MM live than you have on ESPN.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Holy crap another guy says it! It must not be true! Please say it isn't so!?

Real talk though, if the Jets draft Mariota, I think if we sit him down for a year he "could" become a franchise QB. I am very skeptical on Oregon QBs though.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Let it go man they love the guy because he is humble , atheletic and can throw, they dont wanna see that he isnt ready for prime time he would need to sit a year for sure.

6. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I think no one denies that Winston has more talent then mariotta question is people fear what he will do off the field or that he will go like got paid screw this.

7. 101GangGreen101

Winston has tremendous talent - people said the same about Cam Newton, he was very immature coming into the league - he has matured as a person off the field. Can't say the same about Winston right now who will be younger entering the NFL. The Jamarcus Russell comparison are somewhat valid. I think Winston is a better leader on the field, and I don't think he's AS dumb as Russell. I think honestly Winston is a kid that doesn't understand all the responsibilities at this time - sometimes people mature later in life.

But man that kid can play ...

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If the Jets do go with Mariota (or Winston for that matter), it'll be nice because he'll be walking into a better situation than any Jet QB recently.

I like the idea of letting him sit on the bench for a year and let him adjust to the speed of the game, while at the same time adding talent to the team. When he finally gets the opportunity to start, receivers and offensive line should no longer be an issue.

9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I really think we need to look at bringing in BOTH a high draft pick AND a veteran to hold the fort. I'm on record stating I'm not buying into Mariota, but whether we end up with him or one of the other top QBs, they need to ride the pine for at least a year or two. We have to look at picking up Bradford, Hoyer, Matt Moore, Locker, Jason Campbell, or somebody else with some kind of experience. It's technically possible Vick could be that guy...but I wouldn't put a penny on that. I know there's not much there to get excited about, but that's life, this team is terrible.

Axel3419 likes this.
  10. BrooklynJet97

BrooklynJet97 Active Member

Why not Bryce Petty?
    I can see the spread offense, doesn't line up under center, and usually throws to his first read. That is what I see in the highlights. But he makes good decisions. He has 22 TD's and 3 ints. He threw 32 TD's and 3 ints last year. He has great size and a great arm. A pocket passer and a pretty smart one considering he doesnt create turnovers. Take a Wideout first and maybe Bryce falls to the 2nd? Everyone is so invested in Mariota and Winston that this guy can sneak to the next round if lucky.

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Just my opinion but Mariota is a much better QB than Petty. Actually the first game I saw him this year I was fairly unimpressed and while I do like his game, I don't think he's nearly as good as Mariota.

Flip flop the equation and you've got it right. You don't take the superior WR in the first and the lesser QB in the second.

You take the superior QB in the first, the lesser WR at the top of the second. There should be a few of playmaking WRs available when we draft at the top of the second round.

Again, just my opinion on relative drafting strategy.

_

12. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Petty will fall to the third IMO. Garrett Grayson has probably overtaken him, and perhaps Mannion too.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How do you draft a QB next year and sit him for a year?

I agree with you that the next QB should sit unless the Jets are certain he'll be successful right away but how do you do that when you have no QB's on the roster worthy of starting at the moment?

legler82 likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

We need to go acquire a vet via FA while the rook sits and learns. Ala Hoyer / Manziel. I think we need to draft a QB sometime this draft, but we MUST look for a veteran QB this off-season

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Like Vick.

16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind him sitting for a year honestly but I still want him as our QBOTF

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

His accuracy issues are concerning. He's a guy I like, but as we have seen being accurate with the ball is extremely important.

18. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

The QB's in this draft are all question marks...... In my opinion if we take one, I'd rather swing for a home run and miss that swing too hit a double..... So I'd take Winston..... By far the most talent, but also the biggest questions.....

19. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I don't see how Winston has more talent. Mariota's questions have everything to do with the system and ball security when running. He throws a better ball than Winston, makes better decisions, and is a better runner. But Winston won a Heisman. I think Winston is only highly regarded because of his team. His ceiling is Cam Newton, who I thought was a much better college player anyway, and I'm not that excited about the NFL version. And that's a ceiling to me.

20. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

LMFAO

All Gas No Shake likes this.