The Keep Rex Ryan Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Monty_Droppings, Oct 27, 2014.

1. AZ_JetsFan

AZ_JetsFan Member

I've been a lurker on this board for many many years. Probably back to when Herm was the coach. I've never had a desire to post or get involved. Most of my thoughts were already being said by another poster, and said more eloquently then I could ever say it. But needless to say, this topic is one I have strong feelings on, and this post I am replying to, really needs to be addressed.

I don't deny Rex Ryan's passion for this team. He's worn his emotions on his sleeve since the moment he arrived here. That is not a negative trait. It's not something we should take for granted. Ideally, we'd love to have a coach who bleeds for this team, considering all we've been through as fans of this team. Having said that though, it's not a very good reason as to why we should keep him as the HC. It's pretty obvious that Rex has endeared himself to this fanbase (all by design IMHO) so that he can be absolved of this team's problems.

I've never seen a fan base so quick to defend mediocrity like this. As if finishing 8-8 and winning games against an overconfident Steelers teams are validation that Rex has done an outstanding job. All I can say is, dare to dream a little bigger Jets fans. And all I hear from fans on here is that, 'Rex just needs the talent' or 'Give Rex at top 15 QB and we'd be dominant'. Sorry, but Rex was given a pretty good team and he was given the QB that he himself wanted. We all know where that got us. But then we saw what that team turned into once Rex got his own players (Mason, Tebow, Holmes, Reed) and developed his own draft picks (Wilson, Duccasse, Sanchez, Greene, Coples). The results were less then great. And our team has been in a downward spiral since then. You can't just give Rex Ryan a top 15 QB, because they aren't available. So your only alternative is to draft a QB and develop him. Well we've seen how that turns out. And now we've seen another coach take our discarded and poorly developed QB and turn him into a serviceable player.

So how long do we need to go through this cycle? Do you really trust Rex Ryan to develop another QB prospect? Do you trust him to hire a good coordinator and provide an environment to succeed, like the Eagles have? Both GM's have shown that they are willing to give Ryan the pieces he wants defensively (at least thru the draft) and where are we? We draft a strong safety in a time where strong safetys aren't as valuable. We draft a defensive lineman and try and turn him into a OLB. We draft a CB (Wilson) and he fails to develop. I don't even need to mention the offensive players drafted.

Rex had his shot. He's a likeable guy and easy to root for. That's why so many of you don't want to see him go. But lets not act like Rex hasn't been given to tools to succeed here. Thats just a blatant false statement. But you're blind if you don't see that Rex has used the media and his personality to gain favor and trust with the fan base. It's why he's been able to pass off the blame to others and stick around for so long. Ignore his personality and just focus on the results. The results don't justify sticking with Rex any longer.

Cman68, TNJet, Pocket Jet and 13 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great first post. I hope you will post more often. You are plenty eloquent and make a lot more sense than many on here. That said, I fear that the people who need to "hear" what you said, won't. Their heads are simply shoved too far up Rex's behind. They are either blinded by their love for his personality, or simply aren't in touch with reality and are delusional.

3. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Strong post and points well taken.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

20 for 37 in a slaughter is not a very good completion percentage. Remember Sanchez first game as a Jet. People were raving after they toasted Houston on the road. This game means nothing to me.

5. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Rex has shown over the last 4 years that he can no longer figure it out----this head coach thing, I mean. He cannot keep getting one chance after another to get it right. He has to go.

6. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

Best Post I've read all year on here. Dead on!!

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I stopped reading after the Sanchez reference. One and half games in.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex is going to be as good as his growth as a head coach lets him be. He grew up worshiping NFL players, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, which is understandable given he was an NFL brat and had a lot of heroes to look up to on the teams his dad worked for. He needs to change his relationship to players from mutual adoration to mutual respect. He needs to be able to step back from a player he respects who is performing poorly and follow the natural course of letting younger players replace declining vets.

The NFL is a harsh environment. You can't cushion aging vets and young guys you like who aren't good enough from that reality. A head coach who likes a player and looks away now and then is causing competitive disadvantage for his team.

Bill Belichik is a major jerk to his vets and will drop his young draft picks like a hot stone but the Pats never lose an inch on the field and that's why they stay good year after year.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I didn't see a problem with the Sanchez comment. He was VERY poorly developed and thrust into a starting role far too soon.

10. AZ_JetsFan

AZ_JetsFan Member

Sanchez has talent. You could see that last night. You could see it at USC. However he only started one season in college. The experience just wasn't there. It was foolish on managements and the coaching staff's part to think this kid could carry a veteran team. I'm not here to say Sanchez could have been a top 10 QB. I honestly don't know. But you can't debate that Rex Ryan chose Sanchez to be "his" QB and consequently failed to develop him properly.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, the more I want Ryan gone.

94Abraham likes this.
  12. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

close thread. seriously I wonder how many fans of 2-8 teams in history have clamored for keeping the coach the way people here have

13. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Yes, please keep Rex and let him hire a 4th OC, a 3rd DC, 4th ST coach and ruin a 3rd young QB along the way. Not to mention that he'll promise that nobody will want to play the Jets and everybody's going to get their best shot - "no question about it..."

Red Menace likes this.
  14. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

If he's fired, Rex very well might be like Belichick after the Browns and enjoy success elsewhere. That doesn't change the fact that, right now, he
    isn't succeeding in this organization.

15. AZ_JetsFan

AZ_JetsFan Member

And as long as we are "competitive" against the Patriots then lets keep this thing going. Winning isn't important when Rex's players will still 'run through a wall for him.'

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I hate Belichick, but the guy is scary intelligent and shrewd and runs a really tight ship.

Rex is an aw shucks clumsy goofball and a loose cannon.

I don't think he'll ever be a successful HC after this gig.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  17. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

It's not the Jets staff, Idzik, Ryan and what have you that should be run out of town, it should be the media and all the quirky fans that couldn't wait to run Sanchez out of NY as fast as possible. . If it was any other place, Sanchez would still be with the Jets and leading them to another playoff year. Instead, because of the 'panic' button pushing by the Jets staff, pressured by the fans and media to make a QB change, we now have compiled a nice pair of 'stop gap' QB's to carry them thru till who knows how many more games and seasons before the dust settles and a permanent one has been put in place. If we ever get that opportunity.

I never wanted Sanchez gone. Not that I was 100% convinced that he would turn himself around from the 2012 season and make things right again. Or even put up top 10 passer rating numbers.....I never expected that. But, I knew that with a few key players, a new offensive
    coordinator, and a little luck ( plus the time he had to recover from his shoulder surgery to clear things in his confused mind), I would have given him at least 1 more shot. I felt he deserved the 5th year as do so many #1 NFL drafted QB's.

I think Sanchez found a home in Philly , thanks to the Jets media and the fans. Philly fans should thank them also.

Here, now it's all about "coulda woulda shoulda", "fire everyone in sight", "this guy is a bust", ...etc, etc........

same old song....fire everyone and rebuild for another 5 years....bring Bill Parcells back.

gustoonarmy likes this.
  18. AZ_JetsFan

AZ_JetsFan Member

Do you believe Sanchez would have turned things around with Rex Ryan as his coach?

Because you state that with a new offensive coordinator and a few more players that he would've turned things around. So by that logic your saying that Brian Schottenheimer and Tony Sparano were the wrong choice at offensive coordinator for Sanchez. Which leads me to ask, what makes you think Rex would have picked the right offensive coordinator a THIRD time? Can I have an example of a head coach that has had the opportunity to work for two different general managers, three different offensive coordinators and has been given two young QB's that were drafted in the first two rounds?

19. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

So, what did Sanchez do with Rex his 1st 2 years?? He lead them to the fuckin playoffs , with Rex, no less. That's proof enough for me that Sanchez could have turned it around......there's no guarantee any other coach could have or could have not, but Mark , with the right players could have. It didn't matter who were the personnel, Mark had it on his shoulders.

We knew, without a freakin doubt, that Mark had the ability. What was inside his head had was the question. Same with Geno.....but that's what makes/breaks NFL QB"s.

Terry Bradshaw said it best on the FAN today when asked about Mark Sanchez, or any NFL QB in general..."You have to go out there and literally hate the opposition's guts in order to be successful in the NFL"........maybe Mark has learned this.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If you look right under the cheerleaders behind, his signature tells you why he stopped reading.

gustoonarmy likes this.