The Keep Rex Ryan Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Monty_Droppings, Oct 27, 2014.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

LOL

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Couldn't be any worse than Idzik's decision making results like you said. Win/Win for the Jets. :D

#162 Cman68, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

amazing idea.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The Jets stayed with Joe Walton for what, seven seasons?

CaneJet likes this.
  5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Ryan and his hot air are still gone at season's end. Idzik probably should be too depending on how high profile of a HC Woody goes after. Nothing's changed.

6. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Rex has been bullet proof.

I also think his fate maybe tied to his exQB in philly.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Sure he has a track record of developing younger players---as long as those players are Defensive linemen.

8. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has probably been said in numerous other threads on this subject, but Rex brings a genuine passion to the table. He shows a deep seated love for this team, this organization and I think we'd be hard pressed to find a guy like him that cares as much as he does. I say give him the talent he needs (and there is no excuse not to), on both sides of the ball, and we would be competitive for years to come...

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think if the Jets keep Rex it has to be with the expectation that he's going to be the head coach and not the defensive coordinator at the same time. In the past I've felt like a lot of Rex's value was on the defensive side of the ball and results have backed that up - very well when he had very good talent to work with and well when the talent declined.

The problem is that the offense has suffered in the process, with too many high picks going to the defensive side of the ball and not enough talent available on offense. The coaching has been very different on both sides of the ball as well. Rex really needs to step back and let somebody else run the show on defense. That's the only way he is going to get the distance he needs to be an effective coach for the entire team. He can still game plan during the week but when the game starts he needs to be on the sidelines between his coordinators and making sure that things go according to plan on both sides of the ball.

The Pryor benching was a good thing. It was step one in not letting the players get too comfortable in their jobs. Rex should have benched Geno after he missed the meeting in SD. He should have gone to Aboushi earlier when it was clear Winters was still struggling at LG. He's got to be the head coach or the Jets have no head coach.

Turbocharged23, Cman68 and CaneJet like this.
  10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Man, I'm still down with Rex Ryan.

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm really interested to see how the team performs after the bye. If I'm woody, this is a huge game in my decision about Rex. Coaching in the NFL is all about making adjustments to fix what's not working. Rex's teams have been shit after the bye, 1 and 4 with some real stinkers. If they lay another egg this year it really doesn't look good on him, especially with the spark they have going into the bye.

12. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

20 for 37 for 332 yds and 2 TDs is pretty good against anyone. But I agree, let's see how he does against some of the better teams. I watched the game, and while he was overall impressive, he still showed some of the clunkiness he was famous for here, but that could be chalked up to rust.

I will say this - if Sanchez does well this year and becomes a successful NFL QB, it is and should be the final nail in the coffin of Rex Ryan's career as a head coach. And it will also underscore the ineptness of the Jet's organization from top to bottom.

94Abraham likes this.
  13. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Luckily you're not the owner or GM.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If the Jets win out and finish 8-8 I would still fire Rex Ryan. The culture has to change. Rex might be fun, like a crazy uncle, but the Jets need a tough Dad who gets them on track.

15. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

This is spot on. Do you think if Winters was healthy and struggling he would still be starting? I do. That's a reflection on talent evaluation by the coaching staff, from position coaches on up

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm ready for a change at the helm and it's gonna happen. But I think he's a good coach who will go on to have success elsewhere.

17. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I disagree there. From watching him for 6 seasons I don't see him being a successful head coach in this league. D-co-ordinator is where he belongs. And that being said, I would even have reservations about hiring him for that.

Aewhistory likes this.
  18. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

No, the OP started a "being hit on the head lessons" here in this thread. Of course it is also the "buy an argument" thread, as most of us are right behind you in wanting RR out of town NOW.

19. Aewhistory

Can we please stop this "Rex got us further than anyone since Weeb" BS. Last I heard, RR lost in the AFCCGs and BP lost an AFCCG. So they both made it EXACTLY as far and both are since Weeb. The difference here is that BP built that team, RR inherited his team. Sorry, this AFCCG crap just doesn't fly any longer. RR would've been gone ages ago if he hadn't lucked out with those appearances. But he managed to get the team that far. Good for him, but the goodwill is gone. I want him gone and wish it was ages ago.

20. Aewhistory

I completely agree. Early on I felt the same way and was vocal about it. The AFC CGs earned him a respite and I was prepared to admit I was wrong, but I felt he was more lucky with a loaded team than good. After six years we see what he is as a HC. He isn't flexible, he knows zip about the offense (which is a glaring indictment of his skills as a DC AND a HC) and he has shown almost zero capability to learn and adapt. Enough. Can we at least make new mistakes please and not stick with the same stupidity?