The Keep Rex Ryan Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Monty_Droppings, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought it was the terrible QB, weak offensive line, and having terrible CBs that was costing us.

We have a winner.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Those too. At this rate, we'll need a huge page to list all the reasons. But at the top of the list is the man in charge of the play on the field. I believe his name is Rex.

TNJet likes this.
  3. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Guys, until this franchise get's a legitimate QB that can win them games, instead of costing games, it's not going to matter who's buying the groceries or making the meal. Rex has been given the chance to bring along and develop two rookie QB's and the reality is that he's mismanaged both of them. I just don't see the logic of giving him a third opportunity, when clearly this is the direction this franchise has to go in this year's draft...

TNJet and FJF like this.
  4. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Having gone through this entire thread, I'm finally starting to see the argument in favor of keeping Rex. Those on his side think that he's like this guy and in the middle of a slump. FWIW, this could be true and the reasons were clear to this board during the preseason. The CS did not have complete control over the situation (think the secondary), and the GM definitely deserves a lot of heat. However, Ryan and his staff certainly mismanaged the QB situation and continue using flawed strategies on offense. That's all water under the bridge at this point.

Going forward, the question is whether this particular CS can do two things: (1) work with the GM, and (2) grow from these four (including this one) failed seasons.

Listen, I like Ryan as a person. He's good to the community, good for New York, and the defensive players love playing for him. The NYJ have spent six (6) years developing him as a head coach and ownership certainly believes in him. However, as an outside observer/fan, it is clear to me that Ryan is not Cowher. The play of Ryan's Jets don't show the type of growth one would hope to see in a coach who's had six (6) years to grow from a defensive coordinator into a coach who has control over both sides of the ball. The return just isn't clearly there, which is why it wouldn't be the worst thing for the NYJ to cut ties now.

PS: Idzik definitely did not do him any favors either.

5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

No coach in the NFL could win with this team. The problem isn't coaching.

6. NoodleArm

I'll disagree here because it's not clear that the NYJ should go QB in the draft. Regardless of whom consists of the CS, it's probably better that the organization avoids investing a high (1st or 2nd round) pick into the QB position. If the current staff remains in place, it shouldn't be done because they've proven that they can't develop a QB. If it's a new CS, a high pick shouldn't be invested at the position -- as opposed to utilizing a veteran QB that's already under contract (Vick) -- because picking a QB high puts unnecessary pressure on the CS during the transition phase. JMO at this point.

PS: Certainly, the NYJ needs a solution at QB, just not a high pick in the 2015 draft.

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yeah, drafting Andrew Luck really made life hard transitioning to a new coach and general manager.

8. NoodleArm

A once-in-a-generation prospect is the exception, not the general rule. That being said, you're correct -- if there is a Luck-type QB available in the 2015 draft, the Jets should acquire him.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That's not entirely true.

There are two very highly rated prospects likely coming out: Mariota and Winston. There doesn't have to be an Andrew Luck type player to make that pick. There needs to be a very good QB with a very high upside and a semi high floor. If that player is there, you take him, sit him, and build the pieces on offense for him before throwing him into the fire.

Mariota needs to be the pick. If he sits a year and we get more pieces on offense, than that's the perfect first round pick. Even if it fails, wash and repeat.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

100% behind this. Now when Idzik screws this pick up, what's plan B?

11. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

It's not clear that this team needs to go QB in this draft? Wow...

12. NoodleArm

Makes more sense to get a proven commodity through either free agency or trade because the Jets aren't able to develop a QB. Why waste the pick and roll the dice, when you can have certainty.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The coaches that couldn't develop mark and geno will not be the same coaches tasked with developing the next qb.

14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm just not buying into Mariota. I don't see any QBs in this draft that I would throw a first rounder at, except a theoretical Winston-- but his floor is only as high as a federal prison. Can we trade down and pick up a some Linemen and DBs instead?

15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Wouldy hired that GM because he was the only one who would take the job without having the authority to structure the team as HE saw fit.

Not how Wouldy Johnson deems things to be. Keeping Rex the main reason.
    Whether it's some sort of Freudian attachment to Rex or he's just a cheap lying bs artist.

What a circle jerk this Wouldy is with is way of doing things.

We are fucked

TNJet likes this.
  16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Fire Idzik. Good. Now what GM ya want that's gonna take the job under the circumstances that Idzik did?

A new GM is gonna fire Rex and start over...if he's worth his salt. That's what I wanna see. I wanna see Wouldy say uncle and hire football guy and not add any of his special conditions. I want see him go away. I doubt it.
    He is interjecting his lame ass into the operations and he has no clue what he's doing. I don't even think he has the ability to learn from his mistakes.

Wouldy's our version Kim Jong-un

TwoHeadedMonster and Pocket Jet like this.
  17. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

So it ok that Idzik doesn't have a clue about being a GM? Because Woody wouldn't let him fire Rex?

18. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Then you haven't been watching over the last 3 seasons

TNJet and JetsNation06 like this.
  19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I like Rex and think he is a good coach and the problem with this team is more the lack of talent and QB play than it is coaching but at this point I think its best for the team (and for him probably) to try something different - bring in a new QB and a new philosophy and just roll the dice once more.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree with those who think Ryan was a decent to good coach with mostly veteran players. But he has no track record, at least as HC, developing younger players. Add in the lack of knowledge managing O, and his over optimism in projecting development of those same younger players, and he's probably not a good match for where the Jets are right now.