David Nelson Released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DoubleDecker87, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Nelson is typical of what's wrong with this offense.
    We have mediocrity, or worse, at positions where
    we need great talent to compete.

2. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Been saying this for a while. Couldn't agree more. The roster on the offensive side of the ball has been littered with average to sub par talent over the years. We love signing one particular player and then adding nothing behind that player.

They signed Decker and then brought the same group that couldn't hack it last year back again. And when a guy like Decker gets hurt what are you left with? The exact same crappy group of players you had a year ago.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  3. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

What exactly do they contribute? Just taking up a spot on the field? Because aside from that long run in the NE game, Walt Powell hasn't done much and cost us against Denver... AT home. Graham? Made one catch against NE and that's about it. He's another team's trash and we picked him up. Like we did Clyde Gates...

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The thing is David Nelson has been so unproductive that given his amount of snaps any one of those guys could probably equal his contribution. That and they serve a purpose on ST's so they stick, where Nelson does not. Not to mention, faster guys flourish in Mornhinwegs system more than big possession guys, plus now that we have Decker at 6'3", Amaro at 6'5", and Cumberland at 6'4" we have tall guys for the red zone.

Going into 2015 with Decker, Harvin, Kerley, as the top 3 with Evans competing for 4th WR with Salas is a decent corps. Maybe take another WR with a middle round pick.

Turbocharged23 and nevbeats319 like this.
  5. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

almost a 100% this is the plan.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Releasing players like Hill and Nelson (both surprising cuts) sends a clear msg to the remaining players. Nobody is safe. Nobody gets a pass. Nobody cares where you were drafted. You keep your roster spot through production. Period. Or else......bu-by.

7. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

I think you can add Jalen Saunders to your list - even if you are a rookie a certain amount of progress needs to be shown otherwise this administration will cut bait.

8. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

That's what smart franchises do. Hopefully its a sign of where the Jets are heading.

Smart franchises admit their mistakes early and move on. They don't sit back and try and force a square peg into a round hole because they don't want to look bad.

The Saunders pick was obviously bad. But I give Idzik credit for admitting it and moving on instead of letting that player hog up a roster spot that the team doesn't think he deserves simply because he was a 4th round pick.

9. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

The next step for this team would be playing the best guys on the roster without having to wait for injuries. Salas was better than Nelson but didn't get an opportunity until injuries and same goes for Aboushi. Coaches see these guys in practice so they should have a better sense for who is the best player. You could also argue the same for Cromartie last year.

10. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

@RichCimini: Percy Harvin will return kickoffs, maybe punts, will have small role on offense, per Ryan. Unrealistic to expect him to play 50 snaps. #nyj

Has anyone started crying yet?

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Harvin doesn't need 50 snaps to make an impact.

12. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Not to mention he is Kyle Fuller's little hoe now. Got disrespectfully owned by a rook and Dave is a 6'5 Vet. Goodbye David.

13. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Yes. That's irrevelant.

14. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Harvin returning punts is a high risk high reward proposition.