the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If this is true then all he cost the Jets was 6.47M in rollover money and a 6th round pick. At this point I'd pay that to try to get the sputtering offense online.

The Jets problems this year are primarily on that side of the ball. There are problems everywhere but in the running game at this point and the biggest problem is the Jets have no receivers who scare the opponent in terms of containment after the catch. Harvin brings that element to the offense.

2. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I think the factor that confuses Idzik's entire approach is that Rex is the head coach still. I think the perception is that Rex is coaching for his job this year yet he was handed a depleted roster. This is the team you field with a coach in his first season, not one who has missed the playoffs the past two years and has something to prove. The roster is rebuilding, but Rex presumably is in a win-now situation. I am not saying that Rex should be fired, but if we had a first year head coach at the helm I think the results we've turned up thus far would be viewed differently.

The 1985er likes this.
  3. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Harvin isn't the issue, its not doing anything to secure a CB when one was available, they could have Cro back for a fraction of what they would have had to pay for DRC, Flowers etc. Cro was hurt last year, Idzik knew it. You don't gut arguably the most important part of a Rex Ryan defense with nothing left. If they didn't feel like DRC or Flowers fit their system, fine, but they should have been on top of the FA market and decided this before they let Cro go. That's what a good GM does, he knows the landscape.

As for the lack of anyone at WR I give Idzik a bit of a pass there because he did get one guy, Decker, and tried to see what he could get by selecting a few in the draft. They didn't work out, so move on.

The most puzzling part though is that if the plan that Idzik and Woody signed up for was to not spend any reserve rollover money then either A) dump Rex after the season and let the new guy get a year under his belt in a year they aren't supposed to compete or B) sign Rex to a multi-year extension. They did neither. That, to me, shows the guy has no vision from the top down and that's key in any organization. The only other valid excuse is that they plan to keep Rex but only signed him to 1 yr as a way of lighting a fire under the players asses to play for Rex in a contract year in which the team doesn't have the talent to compete. Except for San Diego they've done that for him so if that's the case then expect Rex to be re-signed after the season. If not then Idzik showed his lack of leadership and vision, there is no getting around it.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So instead we should just spend money willy-nilly on mediocre players? Good plan old man!

How do we know Rex is hanging? I think Idzik sees what Rex is capable of with even marginal talent on offense. There's no reason to believe he can't bring us back to the AFC champ game or more with an actual offense. I mean if Harvin pans out, we aren't too far off from having as productive an offense as we did in 2009 and 2010.

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Idzik has been ripped by a lot of people for (like Tannenbaum) not having enough good skill players on offense. Even though he signed Decker, Chris Johnson and drafted Jace Amaro. But some say not enough and often bring up the name Emmanuel Sanders a very good player. And some say he wanted to play here. Do you really believe that or was Sanders just trying to jack up his price. Because he had given the Chiefs a verbal agreement that he was going to sign with them and then at the last moment signed a 3 year 18 mil deal with 6 guaranteed with the Broncos. Nothing wrong with signing two good FA recivers in that price range because they had the money. But would he have really signed here. We don't really know.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Majority of Jets fan do, we've had plenty of practice. However the minority don't have any patience and at every opportunity poison the Jets apple barrel.

Revis is still in his prime and would have helped us immensely this season and possibly more. It would have been worth the money. Unfortunately a moot point though.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think the outsiders just assume that Rex is fighting for his job. But this situation is pretty unique in that the old coach was retained in a complete rebuilding situation. Barring the team quitting on Rex he'll be here for awhile.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That's one way to look at it but when you do so you reveal the insecurities that would drive such a pessimistic view.

The other way to view it is that he had a tremendous amount of faith in Rex's ability to coach around the talent deficiencies which would allow him not to have to sign any players out of desperation that he didn't find worth the asking price.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

You actually have to be in contention for the playoffs before you start talking like this team has any chance of making it. Also, take a step back? The Jets are 1-6, they can't go much further back than 0-7.

Where was Idzik's dire need to stress the big picture when he passed on all the potential FA help before the season? You don't start building your team 7 games into any season. The focus should be on the next game and that's it.

If you dismantle the current coaching staff then you will finally give yourself a chance to win. The current staff is 1-6 and 4 years without playoffs. It's the perfect time to dismantle and install a new system.

10. JetsNation06

Outsiders? I think ANYONE with a pulse who's seen this team and its record would think Rex is fighting for his job, and justifiably so. The team has already quit on him and he's proven to be less than capable. His record and lack of playoff appearances does all the talking for him.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Uh well guess we aren't rebuilding because despite having a crap QB if we just had legit cornerbacks we'd probably be 6-1 and "competing".

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yea the team totally quit, I mean they didn't even show up for New England and Denver right??

13. JetsNation06

Did they win these games? No moral victories in the NFL. An L is an L.

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yep I agree, losing by a blocked field goal?? Wtf! The line just quit and let NE block it, they didn't even try, Rex has totally lost control of this team.

15. JetsNation06

Another Rex apologist LOL. What's their record? That's what I thought. Let me know when teams start getting credit for "almost" winning games. It's ok, dude. Get over it. You are what your record says you are. Rex is a failure based on his record and soooo many other factors that I'm tired of listing. But if you really believe that we're only a few plays away, then keep living in delusion.

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

He didnt deny anything you said. You said that the team quit on Rex. Just by watching the game, you can see that is false.

The team might not have the talent to win, but that does not mean they quit on the coach. If they quit on the coach, they would be losing by way more than what they have been.

Just because the Jets arent a good team, doesnt mean they quit on the coach.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Losing games does not equate to quitting. That's pussy fan insecurities to justify your disappointment because your emotional needs aren't being met. You have no idea if the team has quit on Rex and are just reaching for cliches because having a reason for the losses that makes sense to you makes you feel better whether it is true or not.

I don't understand nuclear fusion so I just say it is driven by chocolate. Do I sound like an f'ing moron when I make up justifications to make myself feel better about my ignorance?

18. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Why didn't Idzik try and sign Dominique Rogers Cromartie and at least have a veteran presence at the corner instead of a converted safety in Allen and a career back-up in Walls.

Sure, Miliner was slated to start at CB got injured, shit happens, I get that. But, how do you go into a season so thin at a crucial defense position and expect to match-up against the stud receivers around the league.

#638 BleedJetsGreen1981, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Big Blocker likes this.
  19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

You have to be the most annoying uninformed poster on this board.
    It's was brilliant how quickly you faded into oblivion when you were telling me how my posts about Harvin being a locker room distraction and malcontent were based on "no facts what so ever", and I provided you with just one of many articles written on just what I was referring to.
    Now you're trying the same crap in this thread.

Also, referring to Championjets69 as an "old man" is real classy.

#639 Jersey Joe 67, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Nobody said squat about moral victories, only whether or not this team's quit on Ryan and the Denver and New England games don't show it.