the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Bump. Our receivers are brutal. Period.

2. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Meh, top receiver out with injury, Cumberland targeted twice as much as Amaro, even though he's worse, terrible pass protection, terrible quarterbacking... Any group of receivers will look bad under those circumstances.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Ian O'Connor has become worse than Cimini. He's horrendous. I don't even give him the clicks anymore.

4. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

#605 BleedJetsGreen1981, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    gustoonarmy likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

You don't understand rebuilding I guess. Rebuilding teams aren't in position to compete in year 2. Also, resigning Revis would have been dumb. If we were going to dip into the rollover money, I would 100% rather it be for Harvin who can be an impact player for more than one year here.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This is such a funny post because Harvin probably won't be here next year anyway

7. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I have felt this before reading the article. I am aware of Revis and his shenanigans.

I never expected to see the Jets make a big play off run, but, at least some improvement.

Tannenbaum mortgaged the future to win now, Idzik is the polar opposite with a slow, frugal and methodical approach.

I think a good GM has to put the team in the best position to win and Idzik simply has not done that.

TNJet likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

This is an even funnier post because you're pretending something is factual when it's based on absolutely nothing.

Ugh... it gets so old saying the same thing over and over and over. How do you expect a GM to just make a shit team into a contender overnight? It takes time. What team besides the Packer and Colts who went from one HOF QB to another seamlessly just becomes a top tier franchise without trying?

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Great article by Ian O'Conner. I think the most damning part has to do with where did Idzik get off deciding to tank the 14 season? While that is a fair question, the answer is obvious. Woody Johnson let him, either by direction or omission.

TNJet, legler82, 74 and 2 others like this.
  10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I guess U R a real youngie & have not looked up NYJ history since if U had U would have known that the NYJs have been rebuilding since 01-13-69 yes that is not a typo that is 01/13/69:mad:

TNJet likes this.
  11. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I sort of agree about Revis, but is there a rule that says you have to suck for awhile to rebuild? Especially if you look at how many games this year already could have been wins with just a little more talent at a couple positions.

And if the plan is to rebuild like that, why keep Rex hanging? He's coaching like his job is on the line if he doesn't win, and you're saying the GM is storing his nuts for the future. If Rex's job isn't on the line they should say so right now, and get on with this long rebuild.

74 and gustoonarmy like this.
  12. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Using the Harvin acquisition as a "gotchya!" moment is just silly and illogical.

A player the caliber of Percy Harvin was not available in the offseason. A player the caliber of Harvin was not available at a workable price until the last week or so. When it became a viable move, the trigger was pulled.

A rebuilding team only adds significant salary or moves valuable picks if the player being acquired can be a difference maker to the rebuilding process. Idzik views Harvin as that level of player. Whether or not you agree with him on this evaluation, or if the Jets should be rebuilding in this manner is up to you, but the Harvin move actually follows a logical, reasonable plan.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He had no choice w/ Revis so let's not discuss him. did we want him to overpay a guy he didn't like? an average player like a DRC? he brought in a stopgap w/ Patterson and Patterson didn't work out but I'd rather spend short term on a guy like Patterson than sign a DRC type to a longterm deal. He is building for longterm success not win at all costs in 2014. if that was the case our roster would look very different. we tried the other way and it nearly got us to 2 SBs but it wasn't sustainable longterm. allow the man to execute his longterm plan.

a guy like that writer would have been bashing Coughlin/Eli in 2007, would have bashed Parcells after 1983, would have bashed BB in 2001 before they turned it around. It is a poor opinion piece designed to get fans up in arms and our fans always fall for it.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Rex's job being on the line is a media and fan creation. Barring something strange happening Rex isn't going anywhere.

15. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I agree with this. The anti spenders seem to think that automatically means the rebuild is going to work. But in fact he blew his chance at having a rebuilding team that also is competing with the CB situation.

Bringing in Patterson alone was where he failed. Didnt need to get DRC. Could have had somebody like Branden Flowers and Patterson as stop gap players to go along with young Milliner and McDougle. For Mr. Compete he didnt create a good one at CB.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm starting to really believe this as well. Idzik seems to really be stressing the big picture and competing next year and the year after so why would he completely dismantle the coaching staff and take a step back next year by installing new systems?

I think we're going to give this one more run at it with Rex despite his shortcomings and honestly I'm fine with it. Say what you want about it but his defenses give big time quarterbacks trouble whether people here want to believe it or not and that's a very key asset to have in the playoffs.

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Not much to lose on this deal and the reason it came late was because Harvin only became available recently. There were no receivers of his caliber available at any time since free agency. Idzik didn't offer to give away the ship to Seattle. Schneider tried to get a better deal. If he had gotten one Percy wouldn't be a Jet. Espn rips Idzik but then covers themselves by saying it could end up a good trade. Idzik when asked about Percy's behavior didn't gild the lily. He said he thinks it could work out but we'll see.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't understand where this myth comes from that this team isn't competing. We've lost every game by a possession except for the debacle in SAN Diego and in all of these games with the opportunity to drive down the field and tie it. If we were losing every week by 2+ scores that would be one thing but to think they're not in all these games and a couple of breaks nets us at 3-4. Sometimes these breaks happen sometimes they don't.

74 and FJF like this.
  19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Something tells me Harvin will be on this team for a few years. This move just feels right. With all the negativity around about it, I just think the opposite happens. He needed a fresh start away from Seattle on an offense that will give him significant playing time.

I forsee us resigning him in the offseason, if not before hand. This is the exact playmaker we need to pair with Decker