David Nelson Released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DoubleDecker87, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Inaccurate,... Nelson had just as many catches and more yards in his 5 games wth Hill, as he did in the 7 games he played without him.

5 games w/ Hill: 18 - 217

7 games w/out Hill: 18 - 206

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There's a reason this guy was cut 15 times by the Bills. He's not that good. I don't know how he's worth 5 pages on this site, he should be nothing more than a tweet.

NJBeliever, MaximusD163 and HAYN like this.
  3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

actually, nelson played seven games with hill and five games without him

hill didnt finish the first mia game and then proceeded to miss the last four games of the season ... in those five games, nelson had 212 of his 423 yards on the season

also, 80 of nelsons yards "with hill" came in the bengals blowout and most of those yards were in garbage time

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

so if he is such a bad WR option, why was Idzik content going into the season with Nelson penciled in as the starter?

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You just exploded the heads of Idzik groupies around the world.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

Because it's year 2 of a rebuild. You take chances on guys when you aren't ready to compete yet. He finished strong last year, showed some chemistry with our rookie QB, there was no reason to not give him a shot. Unfortunately, he didn't get any better. Buffalo wasn't wrong.

There is no such thing as Idzik groupies, and no he wouldn't have even if there were such thing as Idzik groupies. The answer is pretty simple and I stated it above.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

back tracking 101

8. BroadwayAaron

There's not a single bit of what I said that could be considered backtracking.

It's alarming to me how many people here have NO idea what it means to rebuild. Why did the ever-so-perfect Seahawks trade so much for Harvin? Why did they give Matt Flynn a huge deal? Why did they trade the farm for Charlie Whitehurst? Is that all backtracking too, or is it leaving no stone unturned when you're trying to build a competitive team?

That just blew the minds of SOJFs.

9. BacktoQueens

So Buffalo was right to cut him over and over, but Idzik was also right to be content with Nelson as our starter heading into the season?

got it. you are the definition of an Idzik groupie..

10. BroadwayAaron

Let's try this again. I'll copy and paste for you since you seem to have missed it:

He finished strong last year, showed some chemistry with our rookie QB, there was no reason to not give him a shot. Unfortunately, he didn't get any better. Buffalo wasn't wrong.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

he actually regressed from last year from what I noticed.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. BacktoQueens

He did regress. something wasn't right with him this year, whether it was the illness, ankle, something else, or all of the above.
    Last year he wasn't spectacular by any means, but he was at least reliable. Not a terrible option for depth heading into the season, and a high character vet to boot.

This year he just wasn't getting any separation at all, for whatever reason. It was pretty clear right from the preseason.
    But rather than moving on from him at final cuts, putting him on short term PUP, or just keeping him as a depth option, he was thrust into a starting role out of necessity. That necessity came due to not signing anyone else of value, signing Ford instead, and completely whiffing on a WR rich draft. That is on Idzik.

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Going into training camp we had Stephen Hill coming off a good minicamp and 3 drafted rookies. Nelson wasn't projected to be the starter until the week before the season started.

Ajitator likes this.
  14. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

What the hell was with this anyway? Nelson didn't even do anything in TC to actually deserve a spot no less a promotion. Anyway,.. As NotSato so eloquently put,.. C'est la Vie.

15. MaximusD163

Well, I'm not sure they were thinking "Nelson should start" so much as "Oh my god Stephen Hill has looked so bad in live games this pre-season we cannot in good conscience keep him on the roster." That's just what I think though.

16. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Idzik extended Nelson before the end of last season through 2015. Clearly they expected more from him going into this season.

17. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

He did not "finish strong" last year. His numbers in those magical Final six games were subpar at best. He did not even average 10 yards per catch.

18. MaximusD163

That was misreported, he signed a 2 year contract when he first came aboard midseason. Many players who sign minimum contracts sign 2 year deals with nothing guaranteed.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

thats not true, his original contract was signed through 2015, he was never extended.

20. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.