Do you ever see Woody Johnson selling the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Oct 14, 2014.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I can't see the Jets ever relocating. The fanbase is too big and loyal in this area. We shouldn't be this loyal given the shit stew that Woody's been feeding us for years but we still are a very good fanbase, for the most part.

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Only bad thing?
    PSLs and awful new stadium (that we share with the Giants). I count two right there. And, in one fell swoop, he sanctioned the elimination of Jet credibility (2 consecutive AFCCGs) with the "we're in the headlines business" with the Tebow fiasco - immediately swinging the pendulum 180-degrees from asending AFC power to "circus" in the eyes of the national landscape after they picked it up from the local print/media trolls.

Steinbrenner played the "headlines" game differently. He went out and made splashes (good or bad) with the intent on improving the team. Tim Tebow from a purely football standpoint was akin to throwing a monkey wrench in the works. No way was he good for the team in general (the distractions, etc.) and Mark Sanchez in particular. The guy could will his team to victory on the NCAA level, but come NFL time, he was the 2nd coming of Bobby Douglass (and a lousier version at that).

That a team with this loyal a fanbase, in the largest media market in the world, should have to share a stadium? Even the baffoon Steingrabber would've never gone for that.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

PSLs and awful new Stadium are tied together so I count them as one.

I don't blame him for Tebow.

Steinbrenner was awful, he went out and got older big name players while giving up prospects. there is no doubt if he wasn't suspended in the early 90s that guys like Jeter, Rivera, etc... would have been dealt away.

sharing a stadium sucks but he tried and spent millions to get us a Stadium in NYC and it didn't work. He tried which was something Leon Hess didn't do.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm sure they felt that way in Cleveland and Baltimore

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

A reason why I feel Woody MAY NOT sell is because venues like MSG have become too expensive for concert shows and other events such as WWE events.

MetLife stadium has taken over the big extravaganza events. SummerSlam will be at MetLife stadium next year, Wrestlemania was there...So in the off-season if they are able to pack the stadium it may help...I do think the location is a major shit hole.

They really should have built a Jets stadium in the west side. That place would have been rocking! Cheapass Woody Johnson

6. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

One could only wish.....

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Your point is well taken, but I look at it this way. The Bay Area has two teams. Florida has three. NYC is the largest city in the country, and the NYC Metro area is more than double the size of both Cleveland and Baltimore. It certainly can and does support two NFL teams.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

But, if you're an Owner looking to dominate a particular market and cash in on everything that comes with being in LA, I don't see Woody passing up a sweetheart deal like say, paying off his stadium debt here, providing a new venue in downtown LA and giving it to him tax free for the first 10 years or so with a marginal tax rate thereafter.

9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

All valid points but I just can't see the NFL and the owners' committee allowing such an established franchise in the largest media market in the country to move to the 2nd largest media market in the country. I think it best serves the NFL brand to take a Jax or a "2nd tier media market team" and have them start fresh in LA. Better for brand identity and also the NYC market needs two NFL teams.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

If the Jets ever left NY or technically NJ (ew), I would probably give up watching the NFL.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

More likely the Rams go back there.

I understand your point. But the johnsons have a longstanding connection to this area.

12. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

This statement alone shows why you can't take anything stated on TGG seriously.
    Any chance the Mods can close or limit the Thread creations? Or ban stupidity?

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

However the PSLs didn't have to be a given.

Steinbrenner was like that in his earlier days (before he finally got baseball religion and acknowledged The Stick--#17 in your program--as the guy to listen to). From there, lo and behold the Yanks held on to their picks. More to the point, as I mentioned (good or bad<--acknowledging his rash earlier days), when it came down to it, he wanted to put a winner on the field in the worst way. Yes I know his impetuousness in the early going, e.g. jealous of the Blue Jays = considering turning the Yanks into an NL-style offense with a fake turf field, Omar Moreno, the Hillside [Yonkers Raceway] Reservoir threatened relocaton, etc., but at the end of the day, the Core Four did come to light.

As for the Westside Stadium, if you've read my take on that, you know I've acknowledge Woody's efforts regarding WSS and instead laid blame where it belonged: at the feet of Shelton Silver, James Dolan, etc. That said, just because WSS got the kabosh, the alternative was NOT to jump back in bed as the Giants' 2nd tier partner and was NOT to share a stadium. No, "Westside Stadium 2.0" should've then been "Jet-independently-sited" east of Manhattan (Queens, etc.). No blue light/green light faux atmosphere. Instead, Jetville 24/7/365....while the Giants could go shit in their hats over in the swamp.

And he owns the team - I do blame "we're in the headline business" Woody for that one. He could've killed it on the spot whosever dumb idea it was.

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Woody Johnson will never sell this team.

It is one of only 32 in the world and it's value has probably tripled since he bought it and it's going to triple again over the next 15 years.

He doesn't own a highly valuable building or business or object.

He owns something unique, something multibillionaires will pay billions just to say they own one. One of the greatest 32 toys in the world.

And he HAS one and he's never giving it up.

If that's your ideal strategy for how to get this franchise turned around, get another hobby.

_

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

How about you GTFO of my fucking thread? Did I hit a soft nerve on your heavenly New Jersey?

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

PSLs are part of the modern spots world unfortunately.

George got I when he got suspended and didn't care if the Yanks won while he was gone. He kind of became George again after losing in 2001 then started spending like crazy and they stopped winning championships.

where was room in Queens for a Stadium? in the Shea parking lot? I prefer our own building but to ask him to spend a billion dollars in a Stadium by himself was asking a lot. had we got the WSS the Giants would have been joining us and they wanted us in w/ the new Stadium in the meadowlands.

the funny thing is we had a better win % at Giants Stadium than we did in Shea when we weren't sharing a Stadium.

17. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Calling a spade a spade when i see it. (thread subject / asinine comments / useless shite)
    You're right "genius", Woody was too cheap to get the WSS done. All his fault. You're so gifted. Any other factual comments to enlighten the plebeians?
    This thread should be closed for breeding idiocy and ignorance.

New Jersey? What are you, a bougie 12yo? Love to see the slop you bask in and deem a palace.

PS. Your thread sucks. I'll be glad to leave. Please don't start any more until your parents get home.

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Lol, what the hell you saying? Who pissed in your cheerios old timer? Take a break from the internet and go look at some grass or take a trip to the Hackensack River.