Do you ever see Woody Johnson selling the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

how do you know this

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

1. PSLs

2. We're in the headline business: Tim Tebow

3. Cutting a deal to share Metlife Stadium (a/k/a Giants Stadium 2.0) with our great and good friends, the Giants.

Then again, I could love the Woodman:

"Hi, Woody?
    Listen, how about lunch Friday?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#22 joe, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    Royal Tee, Jets1035 and BacktoQueens like this.
  3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Cause as a owner he is 0-15 in winning us a SB :mad:

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Some of the fans hate Woody Johnson because the Jets went from the cheapest ticket prices in the NFL in 1997 to middle of the pack this year. Those fans don't understand the economics of ticket prices in the NFL since 2000. The teams that are in the vicinity of the Jets in terms of pricing are the the Redskins, the Eagles and the 49ers. If you're in an area with a lot of wealth ticket prices go up because people are willing to spend more money to go to games.

The Giants cost 50% more than the Jets to go to a game. Same stadium, same economic area but their prices average $334 a ticket to the Jets $218. Their PSL's cost more also, and not by a little. How many people vent about Giants ticket prices?

The Giants have always been more expensive than the Jets but the difference was $10 a ticket in 1997. It's $116 a ticket now.

How many people vent about that and vilify the Maras for just selling tickets for what the market will bear?

BTW, when the Jets win the Super Bowl their ability to sell tickets will increase. Look at the Giants prices. That's the future. Not because Woody sucks. Because NFL football is a commodity and you sell it like all other non-essential commodities: for what the market will bear.

Dom likes this.
  5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Back to the OP's question...

I could say the easy answer is he won't sell, but I don't know. My impression is he originally bought the team in part, and I think in large part, as a real estate play. His big idea was the West Side Stadium, which he saw as a big piece of bringing the Olympics to NYC, which he wanted to do with his billionaire pal Bloomberg, and also so him and his uptown living limousine arriving buddies would not have to go through a tunnel to get to the game.

Then when that failed, he totally screwed up by focusing on the MetLife deal with the Giants. But that's been done some years now, and meanwhile the Jets the last four years have been in decline. They went for PSL's with the new stadium, and from all reporst that is not working out well. Now he's getting more and more bad press. I used to think he liked any press, but in reality why would he want bad press?
    Most likely he will hold on for the foreseeable future, which is all we can think about, but there is some chance he might sell.

Poeman and pclfan like this.
  6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Sure he'll sell when he gets tired of all of this and I'm sure he's getting close to that now after dealing with the Jets all of these years. Plus it could be a great time to sell. Franchise values are up esp after the sale of the Clippers for the 2 billion. IMO the value of franchises might have already reached its high point and the NFL with all of its problems and potential lawsuits esp dealing with players health could be on a down swing and it could be time to sell. But that doesn't mean he'll sell. Look it could be worse than Woody. What if the Dolans had bought the Jets.

7. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Dude it doesnt take a very smart person to realize he is not in urge, he isnt a hungry competitive person his expressions and speech cant hide his true feelings about all this. Just take a look at other owners for example it hurts Jerry that they havent been able to win another superbowl since the 90s 3. You can see in his eyes his urgency and feelings about it ( he isnt the smartest of the owners but one of the most passionate).

8. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

nt's not that I don't like Woody, it's that he has no football knowledge and places too much trust in other non-football people. If you want advice on football, goto people who have lived and breathed it and succeeded at every level and have a ring or two to prove it. Hiring a firm to evaluate GM candidates does not sound like a good way of hiring a man to run a football team. It is a way to hire a CEO of a company and that is the problem I have with Woody, he treats this as a company and thinks it can be ran the same way. When was the last time a company had an employee break a leg and it cost them $20M, in the NFL it happens.

#28 JetsFan, Oct 15, 2014
  9. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

this is an absolutely awful reason to not like woody. there is no reason to think he doesn't want to win. we've been up to the cap time and time again

FJF likes this.
  10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We need to set him up on a blind date with V. Stiviano.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The only bad thing Woody has done was bring us PSLs for that awful new Stadium. Other than that he's been a good owner and we have had success under him w/ 4 different HCs.

12. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

Deciding to share a stadium with the Giants.

More concerned with country politics then the team we love and it's welfare

They way he runs things, and he always seems to do and say the wrong thing.

Our franchise has been in disarray, and the but of jokes for a longtime. He has never gone out and gotten the blue chip best coaching prospect. Always on the cheap, and unproven guy.

Seems like he is more dedicated to the finances, and improving them for himself. The performance of the team is a distant second

I think we would have been better off with Dolan.

#32 Jets1035, Oct 15, 2014
    Poeman and TNJet like this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

whoa, hold on there Isiah!

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I don't hate him. I don't think he follows good management principles. And I do find him to be a bit of a tool,when he tries to talk actual football. But I feel the same way looking at John Clayton. He has that Poindexterish quality about him. And I was infuriated with the way the latest transition was handled. woody let Rex impose his will on him

15. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Are you a Jets fan?

16. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

why do some Jets fans hate him? Because they are whiney cunts who think they are the Jets official Illuminati, when they really are just speculating assholes. Everythign they say is true....just because! Can we get more "What if..." and other mundane threads please?

17. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

literally NO ONE here has given me a good reason to hate him and i've asked multiple times for one

the best i've gotten is his body language, which is a god awful reasoning

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

They hate the coaching and GM hires he's made and they hate the stadium decision he made.

19. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Hes very short.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Woody would move the team to LA before he sells it. I wonder if for the right deal, Woody or some other cash hungry owner would try to move the team there anyway.