Why would any respectable head coach candidate come to the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Oct 12, 2014.

1. We're better at safety & young at CB where we've been decimated by injury)better at WR solely w/ Decker & Amaro(who has a bright future) I'll buy that we're worse at OL but I think the interior's future is bright w/ plenty of talent developing behind the scenes.I'm taking Geno over Sanchez every day of the week.

Look..If you wanna sell that we should be further along in the rebuild..I can buy that. But "Regress" is a strong word..and I'm not buying it.

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Its hilarious how all the trolls/haters come in here claiming that no one would turn down an NFL job, no one would turn down money, no one would turn down a head coaching title that only 32 individuals can hold. Yet I post two examples and no one responds.

Come on trolls, explain to me why Adam Gase chose an OC position instead of a head coaching job which would pay him a lot more? Explain why David Shaw chose to stay in college rather than take a National Football Head Coaching job? Come on trolls, im waiting for someone to answer, everyone had the answers before, but no one has the answer now.

This isnt something im making up, its not my opinion, its not a work of fiction. The Redskins reached out to David Shaw, he denied them. The Browns reached out to Adam Gase, he denied them.

3. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Fair enough, maybe it was a bit of a stretch to call it regression. I have not seen the improvements though that we should have been seeing.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Did you ever consider that each coaches circumstances are different and that there is no standard template that can be applied to coaches career decisions? Your post is quite arrogant.

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

No its not arrogant considering all the trolls came in here saying that no one would turn down the money or the chance to be a head coach. I provided 2 examples from last off season alone. The Jets will end up with a guy like Jay Gruden, because no one else will come to this dysfunctional team.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The idea of Idzik running another draft, especially one where we potentially may have a top 5 pick, is absolutely terrifying.
    I have zero confidence in his ability to pick players

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Exaclty, and money to spend to. If you make the right moves this team can flourish next season, get the right QB, perhaps sign Dez Bryant or Thomas? Maybe draft a Olineman....

Its so ideal for a new GM, not Idzik.

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Hmmm, if only David Shaw and Adam Gase turning down jobs encapsulated your entire argument . . .

Unfortunately, you opened your post with a moronic question:

The notion that the Jets will not be able to (or even struggle to) hire a "respectable" head coaching candidate is moronic for a plethora of obvious reasons.

1) First of all, the Jets are in an ideal position to build a competitive team both quickly and efficiently. We will have an inordinate amount of cap space next year along with what will very likely be a top 5 pick. We already have one of the best defensive front 7s in the entire league. We have tons of youth. We are far from a hopeless roster that needs to be completely overhauled. And despite everyone collectively shitting on the General Manager, he's only been here two years. We really don't know what he is yet. I'm not thrilled with his first two drafts right now, but it's extremely early. It will ultimately come down to how his drafts materialize over the next two to three years.

2) It's the New York Jets. It's one of two NFL teams that represents the greatest city in the world. There will always be interest in playing/coaching for the Jets. Add to that verity the allure of being able to win big as the head coach of a downtrodden franchise, and the appeal to lead the Jets back to the promise land becomes undeniable.

3) Historically, big name and highly respected coaches have always had interest in coming to supposedly hopeless franchises. Of course, this is precisely what happened to this franchise in 1997. Bill Parcells came here when this team had won 4 games in two seasons and was the ascendant laughingstock of professional sports. (Heck, when he went to New England, things weren't any better). This sort of thing has happened many times in annals of sports history.

So yeah, the content and tone (which was perfectly embodied by the thread title) of your original post was moronic.

9. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

40-60 million in cap space. Built defense that needs CBs. And an offense that needs to be built. It's not that bad.

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Not that bad if the GM wasnt named John Idzik, otherwise yes I agree 100%.

11. SienaSaints

I agree he hasn't shown himself to be a talent evaluator but if he has a good off season where he gets a top WR and has a decent draft everyone will be fawning over him.

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

So to sum up your post; NY is a great city and NY will pull in any head coach the Jets desire.

Yeah sure, how about the actual football aspects of the team? and the general manager who appears lost? I guess that doesnt matter right. He hasnt shown anything, and he is already under heavy fire. The Jets could probably get any head coach they want, if they get rid of John Idzik. No respectable candidate is going to tie his hands to this GM and that will be proven when the Jets get denied in January.

13. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

First, if Idzik is heading the draft we will continue to suck. Second, I will never be fawning over that bean counter unless be brings a ring to the Jets which would never happen.

14. SienaSaints

Doesn't part of this have to do with Terry Broadway still being in charge?

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

That's another issue, but this is the PERFECT time to clean everything out. GM, Coaching staff, Scouts, towel boys, etc. Start with a clean slate, money to spend, draft picks, younger players, etc.

Ill give Idzik a thank you card for putting us in this ideal situation, because you can hand the key to any GM candidate you want, and any head coach that you want (Shaw, Gase, Quinn, Harbaugh perhaps? -up for debate due to this power struggle with his current GM).

16. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

If that is your sincere synopsis of my post, you are even sillier than I thought you were.

Reading is fundamental.

I addressed certain "football aspects" of the team as well as the competence (or lack there of) of our GM.

Reading is still fundamental.

This is highly reactionary, baseless speculation.

This is also highly reactionary, baseless speculation. And furthermore, in accordance with the recent head coach hiring trend in the NFL, its entirely possible (and probably very likely) that Idzik will hire a first-time head coach (and successful coordinator), anyway. So, the prospect of deciding whether or not the candidate is "respectable" in the first place will likely be rather dubious.

Again, your entire premise is essentially reactionary bullshit.

17. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

David Shaw is already a coach - maybe, gulp, he likes living in California and didn't want to relocate his family to DC to coach a team with no first round pick and a QB that is heavily over-rated?

As for Gase - it was a calculated risk. What were the chances Manning would not be good again? And he wasn't stupid - he saw that the Browns had a tendency to fire coaches after a year, which would have hurt his future. Oh, and who wants to live in Cleveland?

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

You have not proven anything in any off your posts.
    Thats not the point though, these guys are claiming that no one turns down a NFL coaching job, which they clearly have. So if people think we can just tell Dan Quinn to come here, its not going to be that easy. Atlanta looks like a more ideal location, but again this will all get proven in January, so Slimjasi can continue to prove nothing in all of his posts, unless he can read the minds of the potential candidates.

If you look back recently, teams that have been dysfunctional, have not gotten their top choice. Cleveland, Washington, Miami (remember they tried to get Harbaugh while Sparano was on contract), San Diego (remember they brought Norv back in 2012). Thats just a few, there were more though. Chip Kelly turned down a NFL job to remember?

Its not as simple as just showing money.....stabilization is nessacary, something we dont have right now.

19. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Again, most of the coaches that turn down jobs, can turn down jobs. Even then, its a calculated risk. However, in general, any coach who is in the market for a job will consider any of the 32 openings if they become available. And New York will be a really, really, really prestigious job when it opens.

20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I hate stupid threads.

So fucking obvious it does not deserve a legitimate response.

_

Brook! and joe like this.