Why would any respectable head coach candidate come to the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Oct 12, 2014.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I heard this earlier and its true, what respectable head coach candidate would come to this team? The Seattle DC had people lining up for him last off season but that was all negated because of their deep run. Picking a head coach who is a coordinator is obviously somewhat of a crap shoot, but why would any top candidate come here rather somewhere else? Jobs are going to open up, im not sure where, but they are going to open up. Atlanta perhaps?

It needs to end, the general manager we have now was not even our top candidate, he took the job under circumstances that the others would not accept. Why? because he couldn't get a GM job elsewhere but this was his once in a lifetime chance so he accepted the conditions (who can blame him, there only 32 positions in the entire world).

I just dont see how any top canidate could view this as a desirable location, the general manager is under fire already and has refused to spend, we dont have a QB, we are devoid of talent. Who is to say Idzik spends the cash? Why would you want to tie yourself to Idzik?.......we are going to end up with a coach that is less qualified than the others that are out there.

Bottom line is this whole cycle has to end, before Woody Johnson falls in love with our next head coach, proceeds to fire Idzik in 2015 or 2016, and then retains the head coach...... (could you imagine?)

2. BobbyGM8000

BobbyGM8000 Active Member

Throw money at them and they will come

Burnz and legler82 like this.
  3. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Cap space, top draft pick, favorable division, good location, and bringing the jets to relevance would make the man an absolute legend.

There are more than 1 good reasons.

irishwhip03 and JeTsInTexas like this.
  4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

You forgot to menton working with a GM who has shown nothing in regards to draft picking, free agency signings, and just building a team in general, and of course the the fact that half of NY once the GM out already, so the coach would get cleaned out to if that went down. (unless Woody falls in love)

chris5533 likes this.
  5. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I think it's a huge feather in your cap if you come to a team that is struggling and get them to play at a higher level and make the play offs. That's the stuff of legends.

6. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Why? Because there are only 32 of these gigs in the NFL and only a handful of them open up each year.

JeTsInTexas, 74, slimjasi and 2 others like this.
  7. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Didn't read the post but the answer to the title is 60+ million in cap space and a early draft pick.

slimjasi and legler82 like this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

+ our defensive front 4

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Again though, if you come here you are tying your hands to Idzik who is under heavy fire already and has proven nothing. I understand the money aspect of coming here, someone will come here, but would it be our top candidate? not sure. Its still early though so it obviously is going to depend on what jobs open up. Atlanta? Miami?

10. BobbyGM8000

Again though, money talks and bullshit walks. You're dead wrong

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Dead wrong huh? thats why the Broncos OC shot down every offer last season right? He didnt take the Browns job, he could have, but I guess money talks right?

Clearly it didnt.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

There are plenty of great candidates in the NFL as well as NCAAF. It's up to Idzik and Woody to find a good one. But I think like everyone else does he'll pick one of the Seahawks coordinators. Who knows maybe a guy like Mike Tomlin will be available.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

32 jobs, money.

14. BobbyGM8000

One example, nice. Would you leave Peyton Manning? Lol

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I thought money talks? I guess it doesnt, Gase didnt want to tie himself to a franchise that is shaky, the Jets are just as shaky lately so I doubt he would come here either. Its not all about the money, Gase and Seattles DC know they can get any open job they want, so why would they take a team that has a shaky GM, awful owner, and just a mess?

Not going to happen.

16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I think that stuff is overblown. Everyone says the Redskins owner is a nut job but he still got a very respectable coach in Mike Shannahan to come coach for him.

Under the right terms/money a HC will come here.

17. BobbyGM8000

Who do you go to, Jets or Browns? Jets have a better future than the Browns. Browns draft 28 year old rookie QBs and take shit RBs with top 3 picks. THAT team is shaky

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

You think the perception around the league is that this is a positive place to come to? plenty of money to spend, probably a great draft pick, but John Idzik.

If we fire Idzik, I believe we can get a better GM and almost any head coach candidate in here. Again tying yourself to John Idzik is basically suicide, he hasnt proven anything, cant field a team, restrains money spent, has not drafted well, no QB.

To me its a perfect time to start this whole thing over.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

32 positions in the entire world?More like the entire league.I felt like I was reading a 5 year old childs letter to Woody Johnson reading this on how to fix the team.

#19 LongIslandBlitz, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    TwoHeadedMonster and FJF like this.
  20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Owner part yes, coaching for Woody is not that bad, but the GM, not so sure about that.