Fire John Idzik

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GoldenShowers, Oct 5, 2014.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Actually I am waiting for you to buy the Jets from Woody lol.

Yes I own a Jets jacket and cap like 100s of other fans except I have been supporting, no matter what, the Jets since Namath.

I guess you guys have all the answers, but I voice my opinion as well.

So yes, correct, ownership not changing....I and other posters know that Idzik made terrible choices and may make more. The coaches have also been discouraged and call ridiculous plays with talent we have. The last game vs SD said it all . Vick and Geno going to the movies and not meetings. Great discipline Rex!

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Any GM deserves 5 years to see a plan through, changing GM's and coaching staffs every 2-3 years only leads to a team that is always rebuilding.

FJF likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i would make a horrible owner, i would still be on this forum telling idiots who think i should sell the team to blow me.

4. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Idk cant be trusted and needs to go away now.

5. 1968jetsfan

And the Next GM will come in, struggle the first two years, get fired because the fans are impatient...or we'll get someone who spends money, catches lightening in a bottle a couple times to get in to eek in to the playoffs but not really be a competitive team and then the lightening in the bottle team will be old with long contracts that can't be moved and in cap hell......but will manage to hang on for a few years because they "got to the playoffs"....been on the carousel before.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. BobbyGM8000

BobbyGM8000 Active Member

Ok Tupac.

7. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Just what I thought you run your mouth and don't know what you're talking about. We get it you don't like Rex and want him fired but talk facts not your opinion.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I agree with the 5 year philosophy but Idzik isnt a real GM, he didnt pick the headcoach. He came into the job under certain conditions, conditions that other GMs the Jets looked at turned down. From what I understand, Idzik was #4 or #5 on their list of GMs they wanted. None of the other guys came because they wanted to have their own coaching staff. Idzik was a desperate man and took the job because it was his only chance to become a GM.....

The whole situations screwed up but I believe the best route is to start over completely.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Is there anything actually saying he wasn't high on their list? Would be news to me.

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

From what I understand, ive heard this on the radio and elsewhere, that he was not their top guy. The top guys wanted to get rid of Rex, Idzik was not as qualified but this was his once in a lifetime shot to become a GM so he took it, heck anyone would take the job. Rex is not that bad of a coach, but its just a screwed up situation created by none other than Woodrow Johnson.

We should have either kept Tannenbaum and Rex for another season, or got rid of both.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I've never heard anything like this that wasn't pure speculation by fucktard media members. There's no proof of it period, so you probably shouldn't go throwing it around as if it were fact.

Ralebird and Jets69 like this.
  12. Ben Fischer

Ben Fischer New Member

I disagree with the OP. Sure, Idzik has not been perfect if we judge him based on one and a quarter of a season (and the last offseason - and a half, sort of). I just think it's too early to judge his work. I know a lot of people don't want to hear that, but hear me out.

Why was Tannenbaum let go? Because things weren't going to go anywhere and everybody knew that. Everybody knew Tannenbaum's strategy and - most importantly - saw its results or better lack thereof. I'd describe his strategy like this: Go and try to win now, no matter what, try to get a big splash free agent here and there and slap things together, hoping for things to work out. Well, they almost did - twice. But then things fell apart and here is my point: There was no long-term plan in place for that situation.

That's where I see a fundamental difference with today's situation with Idzik. You see, everybody from Woody to Idzik to especially Rex say all this stuff about winning now. They got to. But I'm convinced they KNEW that whatever is "wrong" with this team and organization - it will take more than one year to rebuild and become a contender again.

What if Rex isn't actually on the hot seat, or as much as we think he is? Neither Idzik nor Woody have actually said that. Sure, Woody said the results have been short of the expectations so far, but seriously - what else is he supposed to say? "Well I think we're doing just fine. This is what we expected, we're just rebuilding so don't bother coming to the stadium and buy tickets until we let you know we're ready." Of course he is not going to say that. Now, obviously I don't know what the real expectations are from Idzik and Woody, but I think there is a good chance that what's out there in the media is one thing, what the REAL (realistic so to say) expectations are internally in the organization might be quite different. I honestly believe there is a good understanding that this team clearly is not built to win now.

So, long story short - In my opinion, I know I'm far from being an expert, it's just my honest opinion as a fan from afar - we're really not in position (yet) to rate Idzik's work on the Jets. Losing sucks. It puts a strain on the team and players. And god knows the fans - all of us - hate it. But if we manage to overcome this "instant i-want-it-now mentality" - as much as it's justified after decades of coming up short - we might just end up to see a couple years down the road, that all this pain was a core ingredient to something possibly sweeter any one of us might have ever imaged!

Just two cents from a fan.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  13. BobbyGM8000

BobbyGM8000 Active Member

Right on BIG

14. 1968jetsfan

Going to disagree because no one better is going to step up and in to this situation at this point in time. Breaking away at this point is just silly. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's done a good job so far, but it's too early to effectively evaluate his job. He's had one draft with his own people at the helm. Being a fan requires patience sometimes to see what you really have.

15. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Despite all the criticism Idzik gets around here, no one can actually point out any terrible decisions that he has made. Keep in mind, there is a difference between a good decision that doesn't go your way and a terrible decision. If I select someone who has a history of being dependable to do some important task and they mess it up, it was still a good decision, it just didn't work out, because in life, shit happens. If I marry a stripper, that's most likely a terrible decision.

Pretty much everything Idzik is being accused of is actually him making solid decisions that in a lot of cases just haven't worked out. Contrary to popular bitching, he addressed both the CB and the WR situation in the offseason, in a way that emphasized long-term winning. Instead of spending our cap on average or short term players like DRC or Revis, he kept the flexibility to both resign our studs and have opportunities to sign true difference makers. He gets flak for lousy draft performance, but 1) vast majority of his picks were solid to the point that most fans and analysts liked them at the time, so now it's just hindsight whining, and 2) we still got Richardson, Bohannon and Amaro at least, 2 exceptional players in 2 years, and if you think that's lousy, you must not have been following our draft history.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Problem 1. The longer it takes to assemble that talent, the more people you lose in the process... the more people you lose...the longer the process. It's a never ending cycle. At some point you need to bite the bullet and go for it. You say a couple years, so we lose Brick, Mangold, Ivory, Johnson, Harris and who knows who else. That's an additional 5 that we don't have need for right now.
    You have to hit on a lot more draft picks than what we have been, to build a team through the draft alone and also sign a lot more than we have the last two years.

Tanny saw an opportunity with a solid team in place and what looked like a promising rookie QB, and went for it. The "cap hell" could have just as easily been cleared by him in the same time frame...at least he fielded a team for a couple years that was worth watching. I think Rex is too close to his players, that played a huge part of not starting over earlier.

NYJetsO12, Turbocharged23 and Jets69 like this.
  17. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Who cares what most fans and analysts think at the time. It all about how they turn out. The fans and analysts don't get fired over bad pick the GM does. You can turn it anyway you like but it all on Idzik.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If Rex is really a good coach then he has 11 games to prove it and without alibis from his posse.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

No way Tanenbaum clears cap hell. As soon as his terrible old contracts are up, he would dole out some new ones, instead of Harris/Holmes/Sanchez, he would sign DRC/Byrd/Sanders to some huge contracts. And then what? Even if everything goes his way (and he was much luckier than Idzik with the way Jets squeezed into playoffs in 2009 for example), it's still just an also-ran team for a couple of years before it crashes. This is not how championship teams are built.

How they turn out is luck to a large degree. Everyone who knows anything in the NFL always says the draft is a crapshoot. If Idzik made some retarded choices like picking a kicker in the 2nd round (remember that one?) or picking a guy high based on combine numbers instead of game tape, then he could be criticized, but he made good picks. Everyone loved the Pryor pick, everyone who saw him heaped praise, but so far he looks like shit. Is that on Idzik? No. And Geno, if you are a team without a QB, and a guy was projected to go in the first round (even first overall before the draft) becomes available to you in the 2nd round, you are telling me it's not a good idea to draft him?

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Idzik was criticized for not being a football guy when he was hired but he is. Like Rex his father was a coach for the Jets. And he was a receiver in college (ok at Dartmouth) and although he worked mostly on the business side with Seattle he has some personnel experience and he was a coach, too. As for this theory that he wants his own coach and his goal is to get rid of Rex it could be true but maybe it isn't. They actually have a lot in common as mentioned above about their dads. And both of them have sons who were walk on receivers at Wake and at Clemson. Remember when Rex skipped a practice to go see his sons college opener last year. The guy who backed him up was Idzik. Maybe they even like each other.