This Patriots team is not good

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BigGreenUgly, Sep 29, 2014.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Did you really say "tape"?

2. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

Is Spygate the term you look for once a thread has jumped the shark? You know, like whenever someone throws the term "nazi" or refers to pre-WW2 Germany?

In an effort to add value to the thread, I bet that at minimum 50% of the people reading this thread don't actually know what Spygate really was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_National_Football_League_videotaping_controversy

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

And still searching for that elusive fourth ring.

Winstonbiggs put it best one time. Bill Belicheck is really Marv Levy without the personal integrity.

4. New England Patriots

• 143–112 (regular season record)
    • 11–8 (playoff record)
    • 154–120 (overall record)
    vs.
    • 202-107 (regular season record)
    • 19-9 (playoff record)
    • 221–116 (overall record)
    • 3 SB's
    Justtttt a bit outside....

5. abyzmul

Do a search in my post history and see how far back you can go before you find that term.

Edit: Heh, it was actually yesterday.

I don't use it often though. But hey, since we're on the subject, what other team has ever been fined that much money along with their HC, and also been stripped of a first round pick?

There was obviously nothing on those tapes.

And your team has zero rings since it happened.

#85 abyzmul, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  6. Dierking

Not really. Both are/were outstanding coaches whose teams dominated an inferior division for an extended period of time due in large measure to having a great quarterback. The Patriots won three Super Bowls by the collective width of a Necco wafer at a time when the available evidence suggests they were exploiting an unfair advantage. Since that advantage has been removed from their disposal, they look an awful lot like the Bills did. Really good, just never quite good enough.

And just to add to the insult, BB is such an egomaniac that he's more concerned with pumping his legacy a genius post-Spygate than actually fielding the best team possible to surround his once in a generation QB. So he's really Marv Levy without the personal integrity or humility.

So you got that going for you. Which is nice.

7. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

I meant the Brady-Bundchen subscription but see where this all went awry.

I like to catch up on "People" when I'm in waiting rooms though. Not sure I can go too long without an in-depth update on celebrity cellulite.

8. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

It wasn't THAT bad... I mean, I remember the one Super Bowls where the Bills were competitive, and another where they put up a modest fight in the first half. But they lost those four by a combined score of 139-73. When the Patriots lose Super Bowls, they prefer to do it in agonizingly close fashion featuring crazy helmet catches, bad dropped passes, dropped INTs, etc.

9. abyzmul

Dierking made me Google Necco wafer and also go digging for WB's email addy.

10. New England Patriots

Surprisingly, the Patriots records vs. division opponents is around .750 while it's the same for out of division opponents. They have dominated an entire league when you consider facts. Also regarding the unfair advantage, this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/4294/cowher-dismisses-impact-of-spygate

And honestly, I enjoy being competitive each year versus really good some years and terrible others. Yes, the Patriots haven't won, but they have been in contention almost every year. It's fun to be a Patriots fan, the same can not be said for all franchises.

11. abyzmul

If only we could choose what teams we root for.

12. New England Patriots

Agreed. I've been a fan of some brutal Patriot teams, as well.

13. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Don't speak ill of the Hugh Millen/Tommy Hodson era. Those years were the foundation needed to hit rock bottom, which in turn got Kraft and Parcells here.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Not surprised someone named the New England Patriots would take such a dumbfuck position that a single exception, the Giants, disputes the rule. Holy shit.

If the Patriots improve in the second half and play consistently it would support my position, dumbass, not dispute it.

15. New England Patriots

Does swearing help make your "point" in real life?

You said that putting together winning streaks is the single greatest determining factor in whether or not a team is good. You were claiming that the Patriots were not a good team due to the fact that they haven't strung a couple of good games together. I gave you one example off the top of my head where a team was struggling to end a season. In 2012, the Baltimore Ravens lost 4 out of their last 5 before the playoffs. Were they not good? Or were they good because they were able to string together some wins at an arbitrary point in the season? Is it better to win 10 games in a row and then lose 6 games in a row because you are more consistent?

The point about the Patriots being a second half team was in response to you saying that they weren't a good team based on your arbitrary metric. I was saying that losing a couple games early in the season in not an indicator that the Patriots won't be good this season. Neither is your obscure winning streak metric. When you win more games, you are more likely to make the playoffs. Where the wins come in the schedule is arbitrary.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He probably doesn't even know who those guys are

17. abyzmul

[​IMG]

joe likes this.
  18. New England Patriots

His metric was arbitrary. Unless he's trying to say that winning more is an indicator of a winning team. That's not exactly breaking news.

19. Dierking

Bill Cowher, just like Jimmy Johnson, makes a ridiculous living shilling for the same organization that destroyed the evidence it didn't want anyone to see.

I know, I know, Goodell really needed more room in his closet for his penny loafers. The tapes didn't show anything damaging.

20. abyzmul

Hey dude, don't libel Big Rog. He worked for the Jets as an intern for one year in 1981 and that means he is fiercely loyal to our team. You can see the evidence every week in how the Jets get favorable treatment.