In the event that Rex gets fired, this team needs a veteran and not a rookie HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Oct 8, 2014.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That was the discussion being had. My defense of choice when looking to get hard is actually the 3-4.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Word, same here. The more big fat men involved the harder I get.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's been fingerbanging himself for a Tampa 2 for weeks, it boggles the mind.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i agree with trying to keep the same philosophical defensive concepts. namely being versatile and aggressive.

However, i'd be hard pressed to consider Patricia anything but a downgrade from what we have today.
    He's only in his 3rd year as a DC, and the Patriots defense under his leadership has not at all been impressive. And that is with an offense putting them in a much easier position to succeed.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Tampa 2 is not a good defense imo. it's a finesse, speed based D, which tends to get bullied around by bigger physical teams.
    not at all what i'd want here.

not to mention we lack the personnel. would hate to see us run off trying to build in the wrong direction like that..

6. MaximusD163

I disagree actually, I think that he's done an excellent job. On top of that, he's worked his way up through the ranks in NE, and has a few years of experience on the offensive side as well before moving to the defensive side.

7. legler82

Tampa 2 has been mentioned by me in the past specifically because of our current personnel. We lack the quality press man cover CBs to effectively run the style of defense Rex prefers to run. If that is not evident by now, then not sure what to tell you. Cover 2 would at least allow our CBs to keep everything in front of them. You can also still play Cover 1 and Cover 3 with a 4 man front like SEA does if you must though we lack the rangy FS patrolling the center of the field they do. With regards to the front end we certainly have the d-linemen for a 4-3 alignment. Outside of Davis we would need to get faster at the LB position, specifically Pace and Harris as Coples would move to the front line. Pace and Harris are likely the next casualties of the youth movement on D anyways so I don't see where the complete overall would be. Note in a 4-3 scheme you can still be effective against the run; currently the top 3 rushing defenses (SEA, DET and BUF) all run the 4-3.

Now I'll go back to fingerbanging to some all 22 Tampa tape circa 2002.

#87 legler82, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  8. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Great post. And solid support for your argument of this (an experienced HC). Makes total sense.

I'm sold.

9. MaximusD163

Man, it's honestly hilarious that you think we have the right personnel for a Tampa 2. Our LB's, Safeties, And corners are pretty much all wrong. Richardson is basically the only player who is a genuinely good fit.

10. legler82

Not alone

11. legler82

The funny thing is that I MUCH prefer Rex's multiple fronts aggressive blitzing press man type scheme. But the way TGG posters take everything to the extreme, you can't express the opinion that our personnel seems better suited for a 4-3 defense without it being construed as wanting Herm and the Cover Who back. Mind you EVERY NFL team Idzik worked for prior to the Jets ran a 4-3 but it's insane to suggest that might be where we are headed if Rex is let go.

12. abyzmul

It's sad that you have no idea how to distinguish a Tampa 2 from any other 4-3 defense. But maybe you'll surprise me with your response.

13. MaximusD163

Even if you start swapping around the defensive line and manage to make a solid front 4, LB's aren't a great fit and the secondary is all wrong, and those happen to be pretty important parts of a Tampa 2. Abyzmal was talking about a potential 4-3 switch, which is not equal to a Tampa 2.

I think with a few personnel changes next year we could run a 4-3 man defense, but to say our current roster is better suited to a Tampa 2 is borderline retarded.

14. legler82

Poor reading comprehension is retarded. I've expressed that the roster better suited for 4-3 Cover 2 scheme "right now" with "Tampa 2" likely in our future. Aside from getting a couple of fast LBs I don't see the completely overall you speak of.

I know you and I totally disagree on Milliner's man coverage ability. I believe you said it would be a waste of a "great" man CB like Milliner before. I don't believe Milliner is that great in man coverage.

the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)
    Post by: legler82, Sep 19, 2014 in forum: New York Jets

15. abyzmul

Your previous goofball post that didn't understand the Tampa 2 is proof of what?

16. MaximusD163

The Tampa 2 IS a 4-3 cover 2 D. Good lord.

17. legler82

Somewhat, but there are differences; Byz can help you out with that. Have to go pick up my daughter from day care.

18. MaximusD163

Lol.

19. abyzmul

Yes, every 4-3 Cover 2 system is a Tampa 2 defense. Go tell Parcells to stop with the DeLorian stuff because Ginger Goodell might spygate him.

Get a fucking clue.

20. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

If Rex goes and Idzik stays he will most likely go hard after one of the Seattle coordinators.

All we hear about is this Seattle East garbage so Im sure that trend will continue.

I could get behind it though if Bryon Maxwell and K.J Wright come along for the ride.