Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Oct 8, 2014.

?

If Revis reaches FA this year, do you want us to sign him?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    52.5%
  1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Feel free to explain why you picked your answer.

I say sure, on a short term deal so we have a good player opposite Milliner and we can see what we have in McDougle.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Are you asking if I want to jump in a bouncy castle with Revis?

The answer is yes.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Hell yeah.

The market for corners is rising and the salaries are going higher. We desperately need help in the secondary.

But here's the magic question. If we fire Rex, will Revis fit the new defensive scheme?

4. abyzmul

Oh, I get it, you asked your question in a poll.

Nobody can see polls with Tapatalk.

b.reyes16 and 74 like this.
  5. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Nope. The only teams that should be signing high priced veterans approaching their twilight are teams who are contending now, like New England. He is a great pick up for the Pats, but for us, would be a bad signing. He's obviously not a long term answer for us, because of his age/injury, we won't compete for the Superbowl in the next few years, so all he will do is make our team have lower draft picks for a couple of years. I think the proper long term approach is to draft/sign young corners and let them get experience so they can be a part of our future.

legler82 likes this.
  6. MaximusD163

My bad, I never use tapatalk

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yeah I had no idea there was a poll either haha

8. MaximusD163

I understand but here's the thing: We have the cap space, we need a starting CB, we have a guy who could potentially be the starter, but we don't know what we have in him because he's been injured all year. Drafting a CB to start immediately is risky, since most struggle as rookies. Finally, can Milliner and McDougle learning film study and practice habits from Revis possibly be a bad thing?

I really don't think we have a choice as far a signing a CB in FA.

9. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

No we already paid for his past performance no need to enhance that by paying for his past performance during a decline. Rather pay for a player of his talent for a realistic price.

TNJet likes this.
  10. abyzmul

It's cool, the rental on this bouncy castle is almost up so I'll be able to go home and look on my amazing toiletputer.

11. MaximusD163

Did you watch the Pats-Bengals game? Revis looks pretty much like his old self, like probably the best in the business.

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Pats will keep.him

13. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

So its was too quick to call the Pats a declined team during weeks 1-3, yet in week 4 they are suddenly a great team again. He was getting beat left and right in weeks 1 through 3 and is not nearly as good as he was in 2009 and after his injury recovery in 2010. I would say if at the end of the year he is still dominant then maybe. However, dont suddenly buy into it so quickly.

74 likes this.
  14. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Our cb situation IS very interesting going into next season. On one hand, they've invested heavily in Milliner and McDougle and won't want to give up on them, but on the other, given their injury history (and uncertainty about McDougle's performance in general), I think Idzik would be stupid to go into the season counting on them to be the two starters. So we do need to bring in at least one more corner, the question is how.

It really depends on where we end up drafting, who is available, etc. I don't mind drafting another CB high (but preferrably with Rex not involved, he's had a really shitty history with drafting corners), and letting them struggle a bit early on, for me it's more about the future, so if someone really good is available, take them. But we can also sign a corner in free agency, I just don't think it should be an aging veteran. Alterraun Verner would've been perfect last season, a quality young corner who can grow with the team, but of course he is a zone guy, and we had Rex this season, who hates zone. Maybe we can find a decent young guy next offseason who can fit into our scheme.

A lot of our projections/hopes were based on Geno being the answer, which right now, doesn't look very good. So considering that, if we have to draft another QB next year and go through those growing pains, I'd just rather go all in on youth, and let them go through those pains together.

15. MaximusD163

I'm not 100% sure, but I think he will be because of the way his contract is structured.

Revis received a 2 year contract worth $32 million dollars, but they constructed it in an unusual way. His cap hit this year is only $7 million, which makes his 2015 Cap hit $25 million. The reason the Pats did this is because they could fit him under this years cap, make his contract read $16 million per year, but in reality only $5 million of next year's salary is guaranteed. If the Patriots release him, basically what they did was sign him to a 1 year $12 million dollar deal, but just split that into 2 years to fit him on the cap. That's a move you make when you think Brady will retire this year. It's possible they could try and extend him to significantly lower his salary, but I'm guessing he'll be released.

We could probably get him for 2 years $24 million.

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I just don't see Idzik doing it unless we tank this year badly and he does it as a way to appease Jet fans that want him fired to

17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Fuck Revis

hwismer and TNJet like this.
  18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Are you, asking me whether I want to smoke a joint with him or kick him in the nuts?

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  19. MaximusD163

Well, Revis will absolutely be the best CB available in FA. We can afford him, so it basically comes down to whether you want to do business with him. Personally I'd rather see him in 24 than Phillip Adams.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

At what price? If Revis wants to sign a 4 year $12 mil/year contract with a clause that says he goes directly to the gallows if he holds out, then yea - go for it. Otherwise he can shove a giant bundle of hundreds up his ass.

#20 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    TonyMaC and JetsVilma28 like this.