In the event that Rex gets fired, this team needs a veteran and not a rookie HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Oct 8, 2014.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree that he's a football genius. I also don't think thas he'd ever take the job. But if he took the job, he'd flame out.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I just heard the Jets haven't had a 3 game winning streak since 2011. That's horrific and screams of mediocrity and inconsistency.

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I got the guy....bring him in and we prolly win 3 SBs in 5 years...................Wayne Fontes. You're welcome.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  4. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

How bout Mike Shannahan? Former bronco coach?

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Which HCs are you talking about? If you are talking about Jets HCs - yep. I get it. I see a point in that too.

But I don't think Vermeil [or Gruden for that matter] even sniffed defensive meeting, let alone being a coach there.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This was the fatal mistake. Either clean house or allow Rex and Tannenbaum one more season to fix everything. Instead we have ended up with a GM who was apparently #4 of #5 on the list of candidates BECAUSE the others did not want to retain Rex.

So how long until Idzik is out? three more seasons?

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Any love for Gary Kubiak?

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Not a bad choice, Snyder ruined him, Mike never wanted RG3, wanted Cousins. Giving up all those picks for Rg3 killed them,

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Not a fan, could not win with a boatload of talent AND decent QB play.

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The big name on the market is David Shaw, succeed Harbaugh, has the same amount of hype, didnt jump for a job last season, offensive mind, but if he is picky, and wouldnt go to Washington or Cleveland, doubt he comes here.

11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The best part about having Parcells when he got here was it gave us instant credibility and respect. That's what this franchise is in desperate need of , especially in NY.
    I for one am hoping for Roman or Bevell personally, but I get the desire for a "big name" head coach.
    If we go that route I vote to pull out all the stops for Harbaugh

JetsNation06 likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

And the worst part is that he didn't deliver, gave aging veterans extremely gaudy contracts, and put us in the most legitimate description of Cap Hell until the late 2000s.

I'd like a HC like that to have some power over the draft, but I would like him to have nothing to do with contracts.

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm totally on board with your way of thinking.

abyzmul likes this.
  14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I'm not really into Harbaugh coming here, I just have this feeling that the media will be ready to bum rush him at the first moment seething seems off. He's already taken a lot of criticism in San Fran, can you imagine if he came here?

I wouldn't mind giving a shot to rookie guys like Dan Quinn or Adam Gase, both have done an excellent job. I'm also open to Hue Jackson, he had a good year in Oakland before Jason Campbell got hurt. Obviously the Palmer trade he executed was terrible but he wouldn't have that kind of power here. I wouldn't mind if we picked up Shaw from Stanford either if we were to dip into the college ranks.

How sexy would it be to steal Matt Patricia from the Patriots? If we brought him in and (pipe dream) sign Revis, it would another fantastic chapter in the Jets-Patriots storyline. I really doubt that will happen though, I have a strong feeling Patricia is the favorite to take over as HC of the Patriots when Belichick retires. The only hope we have of getting him is if he thinks to himself that BB might be sticking around for years yet.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

As an OC, Maybe. Depends on how he can fix the OL. I would actually like some zone blocking installed in this OL - and Kubiak is pretty knowledgeable in that regard.

As an HC? He can go fuck himself.

16. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

The only thing I worry about in getting a new head coach is how the defense would suffer. We play a very hybrid type of defense with player that don't necessarily fit into a specific scheme. Rex uses our guys well, just haven't had the offense to back the D up. A culture change might be just what we need though.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That defense will still have 5 first round picks starting on it next fall. I wouldn't worry about a big drop off there from Rex leaving. It's not exactly shutting the league down as it is now anyway.

18. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

It's not the talent I'm worried about. It's the utilization of that talent. They don't fit in any particular scheme. Nobody runs a scheme like Rex with maybe the exception of Rob, but even he doesn't run it half as well. Rex is able to keep all our talent on the field at the same time.

But as I said, a culture change could be what this team needs. I'm not opposed to a change, just weary of one.

19. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Yea the Ryans defenses are great at not forcing turnovers

20. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

Pettine runs a very similar scheme...but his defense is pretty bad this year.