In the event that Rex gets fired, this team needs a veteran and not a rookie HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Oct 8, 2014.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I made a similar post to this in another thread, but it wasn't the right thread. The overall ineptitude at HC should be attributed to the fact that this team has been struggling with rookie HCs since Parcells decided to take a front office job in '99. Rex surprised everyone in '09 and '10 by making it to the AFCC twice, but since then even he has been effusive in his failure to reliably head coach a team that he he took that far for two seasons.

The Jets have had 4 coaches since Parcells left the HC job: Al Groh, Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan.

All HC rookies in any respect, and all left the job because they didn't have the knack to be a HC (excepting Ryan).

In the past 15 years, 6 teams have won 9 Super Bowls with coaches on their second stint as HC.

• Pete Carroll
    • Jon Gruden
    • Bill Belichick (3)
    • Tony Dungy
    • Tom Coughlin (2)
    • Dick Vermeil

This team needs an experienced HC, we have not been able to do it with a rookie, and we don't have 15 years like the Steelers did with Cowher, this isn't coal country, it's the real tristate area. Preferably an offensive coach, since we haven't had one since Kotite. Because every HC I mentioned above had been a DC before he took the job.

This team needs an experienced head coach, maybe even one from the college ranks.

LostInMA, tomdeb, HAYN and 6 others like this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I recall hoping for Mike Sherman when Mangini got the job.

3. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

This makes a lot of sense. The Jets are usually a feeding ground for guys getting their first HC job. It would be nice to bring in somebody with a track record and a little experience for a change.

Whose the guy though? Doesn't seem like people like Cowher or Gruden (the popular names we always hear) want to coach right now.

#3 kevmvp, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  4. abyzmul

Although he would have been a solid choice, with a team that hadn't been a contender previously, he probably would have fallen on his face... with the Jets.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'll put my response here too haha:

That's a very interesting point. I hear you completely on an offensive minded HC but I have wanted a new first timer. That's a very interesting track record there though that shouldn't be ignored. I have previously hated the idea of "re-treads" though.. they scare me. Remember when Johnson was close to hiring Mike Tice prior to Rex? Yikes. that's the kind of re-tread that I don't want.

But what you posted is hard to ignore and there is something to be said about a guy having HCing experience. I think the biggest thing you get from a guy like that is
    A) experience managing both sides of the ball. That's something severely lacking from Rex as we all know and don't need to get into
    B) experience with time management, in game decisionmaking, team (players and coaches - egos) management, media management, etc. All of that stuff turns out to be a big deal and doesn't often come on a resume.

Thinking this through - a guy I would really be interested in that kinda fits this criteria (previous HCing experience / offensive mind) is Hue Jackson.

He's doing a great job as Cincy's O-Coordinator this year and has always done good work on the offensive side of the ball. His team's always typically run the ball really well which would fit the make up of this team.
    His experience as a HC with the Raiders is short but looking back he actually did a good job there. He had that team at 7-4. They finished 8-8 but we are talking about the Raiders, such a dumpster fire organization there. He definitely deserved more time there and got a raw deal getting fired after one year. I think he would do well here.

6. abyzmul

If I made a millions bucks and was able to spend that much time finding a guy, I would give you the answer. I barely have enough time to look at NFL Rewind to find out why our team sucks.

That is a question for the men who make decisions. And the guys that do that for the Jets are asleep at the wheel, apparently.

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

So who's a list of names of the top guys out there with HC title on their resume? I can think of former HC's still in the league but none I'd want for the Jets. Guys like McDaniels (no way), Kubiak, Norv, LeBeau. None really inspire me. Holmgren ( I think he's lost his edge that made him great).

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I've got a hot name from the assistant coaching ranks but he has zero HC experience. However he's been in a great system. Adam Gase. The kid was the OC for the greatest single season offense in NFL history. He's very highly thought of around league circles and a big-time offensive mind. He'll most definitely get a HC gig somewhere in the next year or two.

9. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Those winning coaches had very good QB's. They also had very bad coaching experiences. Be honest, after Cleveland who here was looking at BB as head coach? Or Pete for that matter.

Like the draft, picking a coach is a crap shoot. A lot of things have to fall into place to win.

And if you look around the league, there are a lot of two team losing coaches.

irishwhip03 likes this.
  10. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

I for one would like an offensive minded coach for this next go around. It's been years since we have had a potent offense. Maybe the Walton days with Obrien, Walker, Toon, and McNeil.
    I also think this loose clubhouse attitude has to go. Be nice to get a Caughlin,Harbaugh type.
    Rex has missed the boat for years on handling personel, especially in the QB area. With Idzik I'm not sure how much this will all mean anyway.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  11. abyzmul

The number of those coaches that had an established "great" QB when he took the job = 1.

Dungy.

And every one of those coaches had had success as a HC prior to their Super Bowls.

12. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

Even looking at the 09 and 10 seasons honestly.....09 was a gift from the Colts...no way we even make it in without them
    benching manning..10 was an 11-5 year with a lot of last second "lucky" victories ...Texans, Browns, and lions.....Granted Rex does have four road playoff wins and those are impressive....but it's not like 2009 and 2010 were great teams....

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not necessarily saying I support this name but...

Jim Mora Jr.

He has lots of parallels to Pete Carroll before Seattle hired him. Was a head coach at 2 separate NFL stops, moderate success at one of them. Went to back to college and had success.

14. abyzmul

Don't get me wrong, I'd actually prefer to hold onto Rex because he has gained a lot of experience. But as with players, sometimes a change of scenery is needed for coaches as well.

This thread is more about Woody relinquishing control than it is about Rex never developing. I fully expect yet another emasculated ex assistant to get hired if Rex gets the boot.

This team needs a guy that has seen different situations and can bring something to the table as a HC.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jim Harbaugh fits the description to me then as a 2nd stint HC. People say he's going back to college (if he were to get fired), but Harbaugh has experienced a lot of success in the NFL - I doubt if he gets let go by the 49ers that he would go back to college. It would mean he failed as an NFL HC and IMO he has not failed.

16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I think you nailed our main problem with this, we need a guy with a nut sack. Someone who hangs up when woody calls the sideline phone. lol I think Cowher or Chucky would do that.

17. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Absolutely has to be an offensive minded coach, IMO. I don't care as much about HC experience. I think the natural flow is that after a 'players' coach gets axed, his replacement, more often than not, is a disciplinarian. I don't really care about that too much either, but if the result of a hard-ass coach is cleaning up the penalties, then I'm all for that.

Like I said in another post, I believe there are enough pieces in place on defense that a HC can focus more on the side of the ball that's been a disaster the last few years. Rex would've been a perfect candidate to walk into a job with an above average offense and a deficient defense.

18. abyzmul

Although he has been successful in making an offense that shouldn't have been good to be very successful in recent years, Harbaugh scares me.

He seems like the perfect potion to another Jets media shitstorm. I could be wrong, but the guy is volatile. And I'm not sure if he would ever leave Cali, but if he did, it would probably be for the soon-to-be-vacated shot that Will Muschamp currently occupies.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex has been on the mat with the Jets at least twice now and managed to pick himself and the team up. '09 and last year. He's got a shot at that again this season.

If he goes then John Idzik will probably pick the next head coach and it makes sense to look at his connections to see who might be on the short list.

slimjasi likes this.
  20. abyzmul

I don't think either of them would even consider the job, but I would prefer Chucky over Cowher. Billchin took over a decade to win, and then his replacement won soon after that. Not to mention the Kordell Stewart nonsense.