Fire John Idzik

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GoldenShowers, Oct 5, 2014.

1. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

We don't have to rebuild. We just need to find a QB and give him some more weapons.

Flyboy likes this.
  2. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

A rebuild has two parts. Knocking down the old crappy homes and the second part is building a neighborhood.

Idzik did well in the first part (Revis, Sanchez, etc).

The jury is still out on the second part. I've certainly soured on Idzik as of late and the reason is not bc of his cheap/injured talent approach to free agency. Clearly there are some signings that would make sense in hindsight, Cromartie, Steve Smith, Sanders while others such as Jarius Byrd or others would have been bad. I can't criticize his approach to free agency, but what makes me negative is the recent draft record and the poor evaluation of talent.

People think it's too early to evaluate our 2014 draft picks are a bit offbase in my opinion. Why? Not because every one of our 12 picks are not all-pros by week 5 of their rookie years, but for 3 reasons:

1) other rookies at our positions of need(s) are already starting to flash in a major way and many of them were thrown around on this board at great length prior too the draft. Thus, unless most (Amaro and IK definitely flashing) of our picks were projects, it's not unreasonable to expect a bigger return especially given our roster outside of DL and a few spots on the OL is weaker than most of the league.

2) the fact that we cut Saunders and that we've replaced him by a rookie Powell taken in the 6th shows a flaw in our draft process. Why do we need Saunders to go through minicamp to figure out there was a better player 2 rounds later? We clearly overvalue players relative to the league as we hid Willie Campbell on our roster for a year who was a ghost this preseason.

3)Idzik did not use much of his UDFA budget, making it hard to find the next Snacks. This to me screams of pure arrogance and counter to the competition mantra. For those of you wondering why we don't come up with guys like Allen Hurns, look no further.

If we always give GMs a 2-4 year pass on talent evaluation, when will we ever be able to hold them accountable if they are continuously bad?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. They had adequate but not great wide receivers with Decker, Kerley, Nelson who played well last year, Salas who is decent and with the 5th slot up for grabs with Stephen Hill, Saunders etc competing. There's been plenty of good receivers drafted in rounds 4 and up the thing is the guys we drafted didn't make the team. He also drafted the top receiving tight end in the draft in Amaro. And resigned Cumberland. As for Dbs we drafted Milliner very high last year and Pryor and McDougal this year. Plus they signed Patterson and had decent returning players line Walls and Allen. What teams have 2 shutdown corners and pay for them. Again my only real criticism of him is the 2014 draft which was a stinker.

4. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

At least he wanted the job. Woodys responsible for this mess.

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Should have either cleaned house or let Tannenbaum return for another year. The end.

6. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

We should have signed Emanuel Sanders or James Jones to go with Decker. And then drafted Brandin Cooks/Marquise Lee/Benjamin, etc. that's how you rebuild a receiving corps.

Idzik's draft was terrible period. He needs to go.

NYJetsO12 and JetsNation06 like this.
  7. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

David Nelson is not a starting caliber receiver. He's a WR5 at best. Kerley is solid, but unspectacular. We had the worst receiving corps in the league last year and Idzik failed miserably at improving it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I've defended Idzik but in addition to their unsuccessful draft in 2014 (the draft in 2023 was better including Geno who was a good selection where they got him in the 2nd round)?but you ha
    Nelson played well last year good enough esp with his size and experience to be a number 3. Hill didn't work out. Kerley should be our slot receiver and get a lot more touches than he does but Marty doesn't go to him enough. He was terrible on Sunday, too. You just don't devote that percentage of your cap space to your back up receivers. No team is going with 5 Pro Bowl receivers. They drafted a couple of guys in rounds 4 and up but cut them. I think one guy has been charged for assaulting his girl friend. If you have injuries you have to go to the scrap heap like all NFL do. Once in a while you'll find a good player.

9. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

You don't have to devote a ton of your cap to backup receivers, but I feel the Jets have a tendency of just filling out a roster. David Nelson stinks, Clyde Gates stunk, Chaz Schillens stunk, Salim Hakim stinks, it goes on and on.

The Jets have a tendency, IMO, to sign one guy and pat themselves on the back for a job well done. That would be like the Giants saying "well, Victor Cruz turned out to be pretty good so I guess we don't need to go after guys like Ruben Randle and Odell Beckam. We've got our guy in Cruz, we can just fill out our roster with the Preston Parkers of the world".

They've neglected this position for far to long. Eric Decker was a great start to revamping the receiving core, a great start. Not the end product. This was such a deep receiver draft class and the Jets ignored the position till the 4th round and then drafted a guy who they promptly cut not 6 weeks into the season. This off season presented a great opportunity to address this long time glaring issue for the Jets and instead they chose to sit on their hands for the most. There were some good free agents along with a very deep draft class of players to add to this part of the roster. It's inexcusable to go about it the way they did in my opinion.

With Decker hurt it's the same exact receiving core as last year. And with Decker healthy, it's the same group of receivers who couldnt cut it as a unit last year plus Eric Decker.

#149 kevmvp, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

They spent their money on Decker and tried to fill in the gaps, so far unsuccessfully. But is it the receivers not getting open and making plays or the scheme, the play calling, the Qb whose getting most of the blame etc. I think Salas, Kerley and Nelson are NFL players. And Kerley is a very good NFL player. The wide receiver corps is not their strong point for sure but when Decker is on the field with those other guys they are ok to average.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

10 years ago maybe this WR position could be considered ok to average. but not anymore. Look around the league there are single teams with multiple WRs better than Decker even. I don't think Kerley is a "very good" NFL player either and while I agree that Salas and Nelson belong in the league I wouldn't say that's good enough for the roles they are having to play here.

We have the worst WR corps in the league with a healthy Decker and yet Idzik chose not to address the position until the 4th round last year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It's probably a little bit of both.

Kerley is a nice slot receiver. He's not Wes Welker caliber or anything like that. He's a quality player. The Jets ask him to basically be there go to guy when guys like Holmes and Decker are hurt. He's not capable of being that type of player. This is always a problem with the Jets. They overrate the guys they have.

The jury is still out on guys like Salas and Nelson. But they've been in and out of multiple other organizations. I don't think they're much of anything but that's just my opinion. Both are probably no better then #5 caliber receivers. Jets had both of those guys lined up on the outside last week.

Look at the team they share the stadium with as an example. And just for the record i'm not trying to make them out to be world beaters, the model franchise, or anything like that. But they're a good example for this. Cruz turns out to be a hidden gem but they don't stop there. They draft a guy in the second round in Randle, a guy in the first round in Beckham, and a guy in the third round in Jernigan to play with him and surround their QB with the talent he needs to be successful.

Geno stinks but that's just another example of the Jets having no idea what they're doing on offense.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Decker got 7 mil per season which isn't elite Wr money. Tannenbaum gave Tone about 11 in his original deal. Not too many teams except the Falcons have 2 receivers better than Decker. I think Idzik committed himself to the position when he signed the top rated Wr available in free agency this past season. Who else was available at Wr at a reasonable price this past off season. Maybe he should have traded up for Bechham if you want to criticize him. But Pryor is going to be pretty good and Amaro might end up being a playmaker.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It needs to be noted that Kerley has not done much of anything this year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

This firing Ryan is as stupid as firing Pete Carol was. Actually it's even more foolish. Maybe these people don't remember how bad things used to be.

Ryan came a few plays of the Super Bowl with Sanchez. Nuff said.

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Idzik's problem is he is too close to Rex. McDougle in the 3rd round when most teams didn't even have him ON their board smacks of Rex.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

46 years w/o a SB. Losing consecutive AFCCG's. No playoffs in 4 straight years. Mayhem on the sidelines. No offense. Destroyed 1 young Qb and in the process of destroying another. Zero accountability for anyone...

Status Quo.... Comfort Zone.. Nuff Said..

NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! So no matter how BAD the team is now, no matter how much everyone is laughing at Richardson on the sideline calling timeout, Vick not being being ready to play, Santonio Holmes being named captain and melting down in the huddle, because Rex once got us near the Super Bowl with a team he INHERITED not built, he should always coach the jets? I think Idzik would hire you as a personal assistant.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. BobbyGM8000

BobbyGM8000 Active Member

Oh yeah, because Sanchez did it himself right? I'm a giants fan and even i know thats bullshit. You act like he didn't have any help

Cotchery
    Edwards
    Moore
    Faneca
    Richardson
    Revis
    Cromartie
    Ellis
    Woody
    Tomlinson
    Jenkins
    Washington
    Rhodes
    Leonhard
    Smith

None of those guys played a role. It was all Sanchez and Ryan :rolleyes::rolleyes:. You see what happens when Rex builds his own team. They fail to make the playoffs

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

Losing consecutive AFCCG's?? How about some credit for making it to those games? How about some credit for beating the Patriots in New England in the playoffs? Oh with Sanchez.

Ryan is a good coach. He just needs a GM who can get him a quality QB.