Geno Smith and the "One Read Offense"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 1, 2014.

1. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

You got me! Lol!!! His decisions are stupid, I can't deny it. But I really don't think everything is fuzzy to him because of the play book, and it's complexity. It's more like...... His ass gets tight!!

The 1985er likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This occurred our first drive in the 4th QTR @ 13:15.

3. 101GangGreen101

I was wrong btw, that was Willie Colon on the ground (#66), not Brick apologies.

4. 101GangGreen101

Geno has to throw the football away at that point, Mosley and Suh are coming right for Geno, though Geno could step up in the pocket and potentially run.

Not disagreeing on Geno making a bad decision.

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He had Cumberland open to his left and Kerley open to his right yet he badly overthrows a pass to Salas. Those are the plays that he has to stop making. He had enough time to get the ball to two open receivers.

6. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

It just seems that besides the fact the Jets have never been strong at receiver for both Sanchez or Geno...it amazes me how you can watch 2 completely different qbs...coached by 3 completely different OC's...sit in the pocket and always have the problem of finding guys open. Its the Jets "thing". You go to games...you sit there..you see guys open half the time when they are scrambling around..and we judge them on the other half when nobodys open and always...ALWAYS blame the OC.

Im totally convinced God could come down here and OC for the Jets and Christ would be in the pocket looking...and looking...and looking...with nobody open.

You see 30 other teams go back to pass and throw those 6 yard slants with open guys every week..all day long. When we do..its as if the DB on the other team is fornicating our receiver...with no flag..its all legal..its the best coverage of all time everytime.

Its just our thing..lets just get used to it...and run the ball.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. To me this ALL goes back to Rex. And the problem is 2 fold...

1. Rex doesn't put enough emphasis on having a competent threatening passing attack.They eventually find a way to not only fail but constantly have these catastrophic turnovers
    2. Rex overreacts to the turnovers b/c of this whole "complimentary football" gimmick which is essentially his ego taking over & wanting the team to win w/ defense. As a result..we're seeing a college level offense being badly executed in the NFL.

Sorry Rex..I don't care how good you think the defense is or how "physical" our running attack is. You have to have a sophisticated passing attack capable of big plays. And sometimes thats gonna mean airing it out & sometimes thats gonna mean some turnovers.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's MM's job to push Geno and make him progress. Sometimes this means backing off, sometimes it means piling on.

MM has no idea how his young Geno will respond week to week, defense to defense, or how our own O-Line and WRs will play. Or if certain WRs play at all.

There's been times Geno's looked ok only to have a pass rusher come free up the middle and blast him in under 1 sec. Other times a perfect play is called and executed only to have the WR drop the pass. While other times Geno has looked like a first game rookie.

It's MM's job to give Geno as much as he can handle, unfortunately no one knows until the game's being played how well Geno will do.

With all the uncertainly surrounding Geno's progression, I'm surprised MM abandons the run so quickly, even when it's really working. I understand the run may work well one series, then the defense adjusts and bring extra men up close, forcing MM to call pass plays, but still.

9. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Jets might punish geno for cussing. Bench him!

10. jaywayne12

Agreed.

You can talk to your blue in the face like many, including me, do every single week with the "why did we stop running the ball!!"

If you cant pass the ball at a decent rate...there is no running back..no offensive line...no OC..nada...that can succeed in this league unless you have a lights out defense. This is not a lights out defense which I will not go in to again for fear of having the veins near my temples expose themselves.

So...if the defense is just solid..and great against the run....which NO TEAM RELYS ON....then it todays NFL you have to have a decent passing game. Geno actually put up some solid numbers his first few games of going over 300...but he continues to turn the ball over blah blah blah..its a broken record.

Read today that WOODY said making the playoffs is not the bar set for Rex to return next year..hmmm...seems some of us talked about that already. So, because Rex is being forced (has to be) to leave Geno in ALL game long, Genos poor play will not be the thing that gets Rex fired apparently. Thought we would have to wait till the end of the season to hear something many of us knew already.

11. Footballgod214

Actually the Seahawks relied on the run to take them from obscurity to a Lombardi. Teams who thought like you, that stopping the run was no longer important, became victims.

12. jaywayne12

Relied on the run? See..thats the out for anyone that says the Jets should run the ball more...the Seahawks. Now, if you are going to say "teams that thought like you" become victims please reference my entire post and not just pieces. My entire post that says unless you have a lights out defense. So lets start with that. They Seahawks have a lights out defense. The Jets do not. Thats not even enough though.

They have a qb that does NOT rely just on the run. They have a qb that threw 25 touchdowns last year and only 9.....9 interceptions. Geno has almost that many turnovers this year. So, when a qb puts your team in that position and you do not have a defense thats even close to the Seahawks...the Seahawks are a very poor example to use in the argument.

Sorry for the prickly response but when people respond with teams that think like you...I take that as teams that are stupid like you. Would also add that as important as Lynch is to the Seahawks...a close second to the relying on the rush by them is Wilson..their qb...who gets them out of more trouble then Lynch.

Not for a minute do I think that the running game took the Seahawks out of "obscurity"...their defense and a very mobile qb are right up there with Lynch. Wilson threw for almost 3400 yards and rushed for close to 550...Lynch ran for 1257 yards.

You cant win in the NFL relying on the run.

inri2000 likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I can't predict how good or bad Geno will be, but I'm old enough to remember more than a few quarterbacks that looked like shit during their first two years.

14. jaywayne12

and you could be right. Lets forget about Eli and what has happened to him the past few years but the media claiming what bothered them the most was how inaccurate he was in the beginning...and then one day he was deadly on target.

I think that's why with all the turnovers, there hasn't been a witch hunt for him YET. I think some posters think this is a ton of people coming down on him...but if we all look at the numbers, I would think it would be even worse around here then it has been.

2 to 3 more weeks...if they keep losing and the playoffs are becoming out of reach...watch how bad it can really get for him on this site.

15. Footballgod214

Sir, you implied Rex was stupid for building a defense that can stop the run, based on your observation that "No team relys (sic) on the run anymore". You implied it was a waste of talent and resources. And I disagree. Our 2nd-ary is not where it needs to be yet, but don't blame our top rated front 7.

A defense that can't stop the run makes for a very, very long afternoon. Remember the Raiders running 22 straight run plays with great success against some team from NY?

Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it.

16. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

You don't think the safeties that were deep in the endzone and fumbles fall on the OLine as well as it was evident the Orange clearly won the battle of the trenches? More was asked of Geno that game, you should know this. Nassib at best had to game manage and even then he didn't do too well.

You don't give enough fault to the OLine. You say the same about me and the QB but I also know the QB can't make pudding out of shit and know that when pressure is in his face, there isn't much one can do. Not many QBs can take pressure and make a good play out of it

This is hypocritical. You get on my case for excusing the QB and finding all the ways to excuse him(When I am not) yet you try and excuse and downplay his TDs. Every QB gets those fluke TDs in college and the pro level and plenty of WRs push off, why does it only count against Geno?

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Your comment that Geno was "statistically" better than Nassib that game was based completely on a stat line from the newspaper. You didn't see the game. Sure you look at the stats and it LOOKS like Geno outplayed Nassib.

You're wrong. If you want to NOW start talking about specifics of line play and coverages and quality of TDs then Nassib CLEARLY outplayed Geno.

But you go look at the black and white stats because in your book he outplayed Nassib.

He was awful in that game. Much worse than Nassib irrespective of Nassibs run support.

_

18. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I watched only glimpses of the game admittedly(But I know well enough the Mountaineers defense was lousy that year having seen games of theirs so the Cuse smashing them on the ground is no surprise. Much of that year, Geno had a defense that was so bad he had to match point for point, which is never easy) so tell me who had the better OLine play of the two QBs in this game or does that not matter? Did 1st round pick Justin Pugh have a down game this one or was he somewhat responsible for controlling the trenches?

Having a running game eases the load you have as a QB and you aren't forced to make plays. That's why we try and run the ball so much, that's why everybody wants to try and establish some aspect of the run. To make the passing downs unpredictable and to not have to force anything to get the yardage necessary.

Nassib had that working for him, Geno did not but to you, that does not matter.

The initital point I made in regards to this game is that Cherbet tried to make it out like Nassib led his Cuse to victory over Geno as a means to say Nassib>Geno and to fault Geno Smith when in reality, the Cuse running game helped win the game for them. That's my major point I made in regards to this game, regardless of how much I watched or not. He brought two games he saw of Geno that he stunk in for college and acted like that's the end all be all because he didn't see many if at all any of Geno's good games which I responded to.

#218 BakerMaker, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

So you didn't see the game but you took a box score and then made up excuses why you think--notwithstanding reality-- Geno outplayed Nassib.

No one disputes that Cuse won because of a dominating running game and that Nassib was just the game manager. No one disputes that the SU defense was smothering.

But Geno was awful in that game and he was far outplayed by Nassib, as pedestrian as Nassib's game was.

You can make all the excuses you want, you can rationalize the line play and the lack of defense and how everyone pushes off to get separation.

But Geno was awful that game. Nassib outplayed him fair and square. Taking a sack in the endzone and then intentional grounding in the endzone (TWO SAFETIES-where have we seen this film before) and the inability to complete any third down passes for conversions -ZERO- and sack fumbles and fumbles on 4th down is not ALL on the Oline.

But you go look at your stats coupled with your excuses and you take comfort in your opinion.

You're wrong.

_

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

They can settle it in the Snoopy Bowl next year.