Geno Smith and the "One Read Offense"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 1, 2014.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

That's funny, because I have always felt that Geno was very well spoken and mild mannered. I'm not sure what you are basing the bolded statement on, but it couldn't be based on any Geno press conference I've ever seen. And I've probably watched every Jets press conference posted on NewYorkJets.com over the last 8 years. The word "thugggg" is probably one of the last words I would ever use to describe how Geno Smith carries himself. I wonder what it is about him that made you choose the word "thuggg" to best characterize him? :rolleyes:

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This is a valid argument I like to see on here even if I somewhat disagree.

Your first point - I'm not so sure about. In general, yes, that's a solid point as QBs usually set protections. But we don't know about the Jets. Doesn't Mangold set a lot of protections? Doesn't he set all of them? I admit I could be wrong here, but I don't really see Geno Smith handling that responsibility.

Either way - The offensive line isn't struggling with protections from a design standpoint - they are struggling physically. It could be because they played teams that don't blitz a lot as well, though. I watch the all-22 a lot and when they get beat it's usually because they are getting beat by their man. Winters for example is in position well and usually gets his hands on the guy. The problem is he gets tossed aside like a little bitch. Ferguson got beat physically a lot the last 2 weeks too. It's the one-on-one battles that this OL is losing.. they haven't been "tricked"

Your last point is a better one. The WRs have been up and down. There are times yes when they are getting open and Geno Smith is missing them but it's definitely not consistent.

3. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

That may explain many of the interceptions as well.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

rural thug. lol

mute likes this.
  5. slimjasi

I don't know guys, I don't think the offensive line has been particularly bad in pass-protection at all. Geno tends to hold the ball waaay too long.

Of course, there have been several individual plays where the OL has failed in pass protection, but really, that happens to every quarterback.

6. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

by mild mannered do you mean cursing at fans? Yup you've got a clue.

7. Chadchrebet

Big into poetry? What the hell do I care about that. He's a hired mule. He's suppose to throw touchdowns and not turn the ball over, and he can't even do that right. Not to mention a moron can get into WVU. You're going to sit here and recite an ESPN article from 3 years ago, that told you how great he was and how smart he was. Typically.

8. slimjasi

So, you think every player who has ever cursed at a fan (there have probably been thousands) is automatically ruled out from generally being "mild-mannered?" Your statements were that he's a "thuggg" who can't "put 3 sentences together" and whose "grasp of the English language is a joke." These observations could only plausibly be based on interviews/press conferences in which you have actually heard Geno Smith speak. What does him losing his temper at a belligerent fan have to do with those rather preposterous and completely baseless statements you made?

I'll ask again, what specific attribute(s) of Geno Smith prompted you to refer to him as a "thugggg?"

Yep, you've got a clue :rolleyes:

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I do not understand the personal attacks. There is enough about his play to attack.

10. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

If this is true then it's part of the problem. There's no way the center, in snap position, can see the whole field well enough to call protections. The process at the line is QB diagnoses the coverage, Identifies the M/S LBs and makes an assumption where the pressure is going to come from. The center ( or whoever is in charge of the line ) then usually makes the adjustments for the lineman to block. It is on the QB to get the backfield players and tight ends in the right position. Mangold is not yelling back to Ivory which side the pressure is coming from to pick up.

11. Chadchrebet

Intelligence Quotient, cannot speak in complete sentences, aggressive behavior towards fans, inability to recognize professional defensive front & coverages, situational awareness. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Backfield protections yes, Smith probably calls those out. Maybe he does OL protections too, idk, but Sanchez didn't.

13. Chadchrebet

Totally agree with you, but for me its his personality and intelligence is why he is a bad player in the nfl.

14. Ajitator

Sorry I tried to stay out of this argument but even if all of those were true I wouldn't in a million years use the word "thuggggg" to categorize the person based on those discriptions....

There must be something else here that caused you to use that word.... Hmmm.

Also "Aggressive behavior towards fans" is a little bit exaggerated don't you think?

Meta World Peace is Aggressive towards fans... Geno Smith was pissed cause he lost and had a drunk middle aged man yelling obscenities at him at his place of work.... What would be your reaction... I'm guessing probably something other then the F-Bomb.

15. Ajitator

OL is usually done by someone on the OL. The QBs are responsible for know what they're going to be calling, But the onus falls on the actual lineman to call it based on Smiths diagnosis.

....... Why are people still bringing up Sanchez?

cval likes this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

1. Much harder for a center to do this as he does not have the best view but you maybe correct. My bigger point was recognizing where and when the Blitz is coming and making the proper read. This avoids a lot of sacks and pressure. The one read offense would explain this but not acceptable in the NFL

2. Sure there is some of that but it has not been overly bad.

3. Every play does not work but I am sick of hearing guys are not getting open they are he is just not finding them or missing them. Marty is doing a pretty good job of designing plays but this is the NFL the QB needs to make a play and be able to find the correct receiver and throw it on time. He is throwing late and to the wrong guy.

I would like to see a break down of the Detroit game because their is no way you can tell from TV coverage.

17. Chadchrebet

No my reaction would be like what Eli Manning does when Giants fans boo him. I'm a professional athlete, getting paid to throw a ball for a living. If I play bad and fans boo me I probably deserve it.

Not a cry baby entitled thug from the south. What a joke. Keep defending him, he'll be backing up Quincy Carter next year.

18. Ajitator

If you read my post I'm not defending anyone,.. Just trying to portray how out of line you are. That's all.

You keep using the word thug to insult Geno but all it's doing is making you sound like a huge racist from Texas.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh. Quincy Carter was a much better Qb than SMith, and he was a backup.

(I know he had a drug problem, but still....)

20. Chadchrebet

I work in Texas, but I'm Jersey born and bred. and btw more diversity in Houston, than in Newark so don't make Texas out to be some place full of ranch and cattle owning duck dynasty guys wearing stetson hats.

Me out of line? No im just a pissed off Jets fans who can't bare another blatant miss at QB. I've witnessed too many in person at Radio City, and before that.