Geno Smith and the "One Read Offense"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 1, 2014.

1. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, listen to yourself man. The kid has played 20 games. That's something you say about Mark Sanchez.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He's played 20 games and is still throwing 2 interceptions a game running an offense that a four year old girl could command.

Look at any of these QBs and you tell me they had to wait one and a half seasons for something to happen. Here are just a few guys taken in the second round or later that make Geno Smith look like a fuckin pussy at the two year mark in their careers:

Andy Dalton - 47 TD / 29 INT / 83 rating
    Russell Wilson - 52 TD / 19 INT / 100 rating
    Colin Kaepernick - 31 TD / 10 INT / 98 rating

And here is Geno Smith:

Geno Smith - 16 TD / 26 INT / 68.5 rating

Now it's funny because I can give you a ton of other picks comparable to Geno in numbers, but they are all backups or gone completely from the NFL without a trace.

Don't give me that 20 game bullshit.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Footballoutsiders ranks the OL 18th in pass protection. Not great, but mid-pack. Meanwhile Smith is ranked next to last.

So why do Smith Fans look at the OL to explain his problems?

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Beautiful. That in fact says it all. I would also add that Ryan's apparent lack of concern in press interviews, his mention of organizational decisions, then defending that reference by saying an in game substitution decision is his - not the same question, suggests he's identified his role is to keep playing Smith at the FO's behest and all he has to do is not come out and say that's what is going on.

As you say if the Jets have a losing season playing Smith, and Ryan comes back next year, we will have this question answered as clearly as can be.

5. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Don't hate on attorneys.
    The truth hurts the quicker we get rid of this mess and draft the best available pro style qb (Connor Cook, Bryce Petty) the better.

6. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Yes, by and large attorney's are intelligent, by whatever metric you want to measure. Of course there are some that are not that bright. But joe rock and roll can't get off his couch and go to law school and pass the bar.

On Smith's intelligence: Have the heard the guy interview? His grasp of the english language is a joke. The guy cannot string 3 sentences together. He's a thuggggg, from poor rural southwest Florida. Plus his play on the field should give you enough of a sample size on his inability to read defenses, continually make wrong decisions, and a situational awareness (you know taking us out of field goal range, red zone INTs) that is pathetic .

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Interesting.

8. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

I cannot believe how ignorant some people in this world still are.

Not only did he have an extremely high GPA, but he is big into literature and poetry (which made a lot of you ignorant meatheads call him "soft") so I'd say he has quite a good grasp on the English language. One's dialect has NOTHING to do with one's intelligence.

9. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Eli Manning?

10. Falco21

Sure. You wanna bring Eli into this? Why not :)

48 TD / 35 INT / 76 rating

Still making Geno look like dogshit.

And Eli doesn't pertain to my comment, which you obviously skimmed through. Eli Manning was the first overall pick in the draft.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Are those stats through 20 games or through 2 full seasons?

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He missed Decker open on the last offensive play of the game too. It's obvious he had it in his head he was going to look him off and throw it to Ivory in the flat on that play. The Decker play would've been a nice 15 yard play.Ivory can't catch. Game over.

I'm not as negative yet as some of you guys are on Geno Smith but yes he is struggling big time right now. I think switching to Vick before the wheels come off is the right idea but I don't think it means he is done here in NY even if they do that. Put Vick in, take some pressure off the kid and let him learn a little.

Also the OL was terrible on sunday. It's not an excuse to say that when they struggle it hurts Geno Smith because it does. He's not a good enough QB yet to fight through the other issues and there are lots of other issues on this offense too. The WRs aren't doing a great job getting separation and the OL has not been good. Obviously you'd like to see Geno Smith protect the ball better but he is seeing a lot of pressure up the middle because Winters is getting beat so much. They all need to get better on offense.

13. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Nope. Still a shit secondary that at best Vick keeps off the field from getting burned more than what we're seeing(But on this level, you cannot hide anyone or anything on that field, teams will go after them), still an OLine that's been average except for the LG that's been brutal, still seeing guys not get on the field like an Powell on passing downs or Salas over Nelson. Still seeing this team commit dumb, unforced penalties to set their offense back and to extend opposition's drives. Still see zero contribution from the punt and kick returning game, which includes Hakim having a bad tendency to take the ball out of the endzone and not get back to the 20.

Nothing about this offense screams potential to me(Or the back 4 on defense). Its a flawed offense that Idzik deserves criticism for...for not addressing it sans Amaro in the draft unless he thought Shaq Evans was the answer at WR year 1. Marty has compounded it with not using the hot hands at the right time(Ivory earlier in the year or giving Salas more snaps) and the QB has turned the ball over too much for comfort.

The 1985er likes this.
  14. Falco21

2 full seasons, but I can make it through 20 games:

Andy Dalton - 28 TD / 17 INT / 93 Rating
    Russell Wilson - 32 TD / 13 INT / 93.4 Rating
    Colin Kaepernick - 15 TD / 7 INT / 86 Rating

And again, for reference:

Geno Smith - 16 TD / 26 INT / 69 Rating

Pretty fuckin terrible.

GoldenShowers likes this.
  15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Who works with the worst surrounding cast of the 4 QBs?

(This is not excusing the QB's play but I am asking before anyone gets on my case)

16. Falco21

We are 1st in rushing defense allowing only 63.2 yards per game.
    We are 3rd in total defense based on yards allowed per game with 291.2.
    We are 10th against the pass allowing only 228 yards in the air per game.

We are 2nd in rushing yards per game with 151.2.
    We are 11th in total offense with 366.2 yards per game.

Yet here we are ranked 21st in yards passing per game, ranked 26th in passing TD, ranked 4th in most INT thrown, ranked 30th in passer rating, and we have the second worst QB in the league overall.

I wonder where our problem is? Hmmmmmmmm???

Let me think about this for a while and get back to you.

GoldenShowers and Big Blocker like this.
  17. Falco21

[​IMG]

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The QB is a big reason an O-line can struggle. He sets protections he has to see the blitz and be able to make the hot read. It is obvious Geno has not been able to do this.

I hear people talking about the receivers not getting open but every breakdown i see I see open receivers it is just that Geno is throwing late and misfiring.

19. Falco21

The O-line hasn't even been terrible. They are rated right in the middle of the pack compared to all 32 NFL teams. We have an average offensive line right now. There is no excuse there for Geno.

And yes, receivers are open every fuckin game. We are running a one-read offense where Geno throws to one guy even if he is covered by the entire team.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Those bullshit stats are through 4 games - they played the fuckin raiders in those 4 games. they played the bears and lions without their pro bowl WRs playing at any level close to 100% Do you watch the games?

Do you really think this team is really that good against the pass or in rushing the ball? Don't you think the 200 yards rushing against the terrible Raiders and the 133 pass yards against against the terrible raiders and the worst QB in the league have something to do with those rankings?

This team is not as good as you think they are overall and Geno Smith while playing poorly is not the only issue. Please stop referencing those stupid ass rankings as they mean shit through 4 games.