Geno Smith and the "One Read Offense"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 1, 2014.

1. mute

mute Well-Known Member

That's cold.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Turn your fucking sarcasm detector on before a n00b kills you on the street.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

There's no point in trying to explain game film to Jet fans,all they want is blood and to see people fired .Its all Rexs fault!!! That Geno can't see 3 open WRs !!! All fucking Rexs fault!!!There's guys open on almost every play I've been saying this all season,this is why we need to go with Vick,he is more likely to find the open man and if he can't maybe he can run 35 yards

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

If Vick starts we are in business. This team has such potential but we have one fuckin moron that is always touching the ball that likes to give it back to the other team.

I won't name names.

5. LongIslandBlitz

There's a fucking Reason Geno Smith slid to the second round until we were dumb enough to draft him.And your seeing it unfold on Sundays #Thank You Idzik

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Same forum poster by a mile.

7. Falco21

I thought he was a steal in the second. Like I said, I thought Geno was gonna be a very good QB. Had all the skills in the world, but he just was never able to put it all together.

We lost a second round pick with this. Not too upset about that. I'm more upset with the fact that we are still starting him.

8. LongIslandBlitz

I still have faith in him a little bit,I still feel like maybe just maybe he can turn it around,but I also felt that way with Sanchez .I think this team just needs to get the running game going and stablize the game instead of playing from behind like the past two weeks.Sanchez had a great running game in year one ,we have the best Running backs we have had since Rex has been here but we can't run the ball when we are down 14-0.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you're going one read you might as well just go Air Raid.

Seriously, allowing 4 or 5 defenders to read the QB's eyes as he looks at his target is never going to turn into anything consistently good down field. Not if you have Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss or Terrell Owens and certainly not if you have Eric Decker and Jace Amaro as the main targets.

One read - short passes - tons of screens and misdirections with Geno looking one way and immediately turning back to throw the other to a guy who will have nobody within 5 yards of him. Lots of bootlegs, some reverses, etc.

The problem with a one read offense that isn't a barrel full of Air Raid staples is that it's also a one read defense for both the safeties and anybody else who doesn't happen to be covering the guy the one read is looking at.

10. Falco21

You know I just read an article that showed that the draft room was split on Geno, but Idzik wanted his way so he took him. Here's the link:

"The question was ‘Can he be the guy?’ The room was split,” one team source told Metro. “This wasn’t a slam dunk.”

“John is big on everyone coming together and everyone being a part of it – the decision,” a source said. “But at the end of the day, John is a big believer in his way and the way he wants to do things. It all came down here to John. It’s all John — 100 percent.”

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/...nt-john-idziks-decision/#sthash.2th0kx3W.dpuf

11. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Agreed..totally.

GoldenShowers likes this.
  12. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Well if Rex is the head coach and he continues to put this guy out there with the same results..shouldnt he be fired?

"no...its Idziks pressure on him to continue to play him because the ole 2nd round pick"

Ok..so Idzik has told Rex to not do what he wants because he has guaranteed Rex he will be around next year?

"well no"

Then Rex should tell Idzik to go to hell and protect himself...take his chances and roll the dice of going to the owner and saying hey...I didnt want to play this guy but the GM..and that could save Rexs job.

The point behind me talking to myself which could get me locked up is a simple one....If IDZIK is telling Rex not to do his job and play this guy then Rex has a bye this year right? He cant get fired.

If Geno continues to play like this...and START...Im dying to see how this plays out at the end of the year..if the Jet end up 7 and 9 or worse...and Rex is back..we have our answer.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Should have known. Should have also put down the bong before posting.

14. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Exactly. The scary part is the guys coming out of college like you said. Winston and Mariota ect are being graded highly by NFL scouts. They see a guys like RG3 (who's done BTW), Kap, and Wilson who have had earLy success.

This initial success translates into short term job security and the GM takes a chance. Geno, Dosent have the elite athletic ability like RG3 did and Kap have. Wilson seems to have both the quick decision making and the athletic ability. Combine that with his run game and that defense... Now that's is the formula we are trying to duplicate.

We are very close to being that team, we are just searching for the quarterback that Dosent turn the ball over. Puts pressure on the defense to stop the run (via QB, power and speed back, and ideally jet sweep), can hit the short routs to keep the chains moving. Have efficitcy in the red zone. Geno ain't this guy, yet. Could he be? That's the question... But it starts with limiting turnovers

There is undoubtably pressure on Rex to start Geno. Geno is Johns "guy". But rex was hired and extended to coach. Maybe it was pressure from Woody to extend Rex, either way he was extend.

Rex should know better, he stuck by Sanchez too long (and Tanny didn't get him any talent) to go through this dejavu again. Move on to Vick if Geno Dosent do anything in 30 mins next week. Split reps this week to 60-40% with the 1's and let re rip.

15. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

I'm sorry but what was that attorney comment supposed to mean? You don't have to be smart to be an attorney.

16. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

There is no way that Marty should be an NFL coordinator if this offense is a so called one read system. I don't believe any of this garbage about "One read". On some plays I think Geno is favoring a particular receiver, but there is no way things are designed that way. As far as dumbing the play book down in year two..... I doubt that as well. If he is going backwards in his learning the play book in year two, then he probably shouldn't have ever played a down in college. His mistakes look stupid on the field, but the play book isn't being altered to any of theaforementioned concepts to curb his propensity at turning the ball over.

17. RochesterJet

Make no mistake, Marty has "dumbed it down" this year for Geno. The focus is about ball security and getting it out quick, you can tell by the routes. The only consistently long routs are being run ny Decker, and you can see he was the #1 option on the play. This is what defenses are doing, taking away his first option and sitting in his second option until the line gobbles him up or he dumps it off.

The league knows who and what Geno Smith is; just like they knew what Mark was. Until this team starts drafting and developing skilled weapons on offense, this issue will continue.

It's been this way since McNeil, Walker, and Toon. Who the fuck have the Jets had in the past 25 years besides Martin who struck fear in a defense? Maybe Keshawn

18. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I guess you call it dumbing it down, where as I like to refer to it as taking what the defense is giving us. We dont have long drawn out pass plays because the time isnt there for Geno. Geno has to get it out quick, our pass protection sucks. Its not like he has time to read complex physics, when teams are man up/jamming at the line, or rushing 4 or 5 and dropping the rest while still getting regular pressure on him. Short routes are a lot like running plays, but the concept is built around getting the ball into the hands of people who can potentially run after the catch. We don't have the WR's for this "Dumbing it down" style offense as you like to call it, to produce offense like Denver. They have the protection, the WR's that cause the defense's more problems than what the defenses are causing ours, and their Qb is way ahead of Geno.
    I still think this idea of Geno not getting it, is way overblown. It's not simplified because of his brain. It's simplified because we don't have the personnel to help Geno do more. Our offensive line is more of the problem, than Geno.
    Look at the duress he throws under.
    Sanchez had it a lot better in years one and two, as far as personnel. But he wasn't accurate enough, and refused to look beyond a read or two before he got over anxious, and then made a bad decision. Also, Geno's skill set is totally different than say Nacho's. we are asking Geno to be a pro style option Qb, while making 2-3 reads before the backfield is full of the other team.

We are moving the ball, except for Sundays 5 straight punts. Geno has his stupid moments, but I don't see any reason he is considered to be a slow learner.

19. RochesterJet

I agree, neither Tanny or Idzik has addressed the lack of skilled talent on this offense. I thought I said as much in my post. Either way, this combined with Genos inability to make a quick read are contributing to his lack of success in his first 20 games.

2 more turnovers last week and 6 pick six's in his first 20 games as a pro are not all on a lack of talent around him. How many more sure handed picks that were dropped are you willing to accept before he Dosent pass by your eye test? Who's the slow learner here? You or Geno...

Sorry had to, it's just plane obvious to me that he just make the quick read and get the ball out. Ultimately, it's the cards he was delt. A shit hand similar to all Jet QB's this past 20 years.

tbruner12 likes this.
  20. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, listen to yourself man. The kid has played 20 games. That's something you say about Mark Sanchez.