Geno Smith and the "One Read Offense"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 1, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Didn't read that but it sounds like you've dug up a lot of excuses.

What about the refs?

And the unused cap money?

Bad fans?

Anything else?

_

2. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing that Geno has played well. I'm just saying you can't blame him for the o-line's struggles.

Sacks aren't the only way an o-line affects the game. He's been pressured a ton as well, especially on the left inside of the line.

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Of course you didn't read it.

Because if you did, it compliments guys like Decker, Ivory, Salas and Amaro but also shows that Nelson and Cumberland have been beyond brutal this year for the team and do not help the offense out.

Also shows that guys like Bilal Powell and Greg Salas really need to be used more by Marty and are deserving of more snaps on the field.

4. JStokes

But what does this have to do with the awful line play?

Sounds like white noise used to mask another issue you care not to admit.

_

5. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

So we take a look at FOUR pictures from some dude on his coach and conclude the entire offense is one read and Geno can't go through progressions? OK....

All I know is Jaws said he looke at Geno's tape the first 4 games and said he deserves to keep his job, noting the receivers often don't get separation and the Oline has trouble holding up.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He cherry picked clips of Geno steering down receivers. Even though he's improved and he's actually going through progressions this year. It's just agenda driven at this point. Geno is constantly falling back to bad habits but hes improving as well.

7. BakerMaker

Its talking about you know, his supporting cast.

You can keep telling yourself we're a QB away from great pastures though.

8. JStokes

Who said that? We're several players away from great pastures.

You're content to make excuses for the QB, which is fine. Hopefully the game slows down for him and we don't have to draft another QB for 10 years.

_

9. BakerMaker

If you read my posts whether in the gameday thread or on the Jets board, I have not excused Geno of anything but I also know its not only the QB who is crushing this team but reading this board, the vast majority really think its Geno single handedly destroying this team which is where my opposition on the stance comes in. I think the team's flawed and not very good, others seemingly don't agree with that(Could be mistaken?).

I want Vick to come in to put this supporting cast on notice and to see if Vick can spark up anything. I have been on point of saying that since Sunday. I want to see guys step up and know now the magnifying class shines on them once Geno's out and can't take the blame anymore by himself. If Vick falters, one could say we don't have a good QB but I would think that if now 2 QBs can't get the job done, it falls on the supporting cast that surrounds both QBs.

I don't want to keep drafting a QB every 2 years, its not a recipe for success for our depth and to get talent everywhere else. Its also putting the newly drafted QB in just as bad of a spot by not getting more talent on spots like WR or CB because this secondary surrenders points and makes the QB play a game of catchup if they don't score first.

You may disagree with this but I don't think Marcus Mariota would make this same core work either. Probably won't compound the problem as much as Geno but Mariota will have to roll the dice and take risks and make plays by himself to overcome the flaws on this team.

10. JStokes

It's not about whether Mariota can make THIS core work--or any of the draftable guys past or in the future.

It's whether Geno IS the guy to develop that core around.

You're comment that Mariota wouldn't compound the problem as much says it all.

For once since Namath I want a suspertar at QB, not a guy that we can hopefully win with with Rex's defense and a solid running game and solid wide receivers and a solid OLine and great special teams play. Not decent. Not competent. Not manageable.

Superstar.

I guess that's too much to hope for.

_

11. BakerMaker

We all want a stud at QB but it takes time for them to grow into that. Its so tough to find a QB who comes out of college and lights the world on fire. Guys like Andrew Luck who can come in right away and be good are really tough to find.

Its tough to be patient and its tough to see QB after QB struggle but that's the growing pain that comes with a QB. I wish Geno would show more when it comes to learning too but I also don't think he's working with much as far as talent goes in 2013 or 2014.

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Don't blame MM, for Geno's lack of ability.

One of the problems I had with Smith before we drafted him was his lack to progress in his reads and hit the 3rd or 4th guy. He never had to or was expected to in college. He would throw to his 1st or 2nd read and if not open he would throw it away or run. The second thing about him in college was his lack to read a defenses or the schemes. All plays were called in from the coach on the sideline, after the coach read the defensive packages. Geno doesn't have the experience or ability to read defenses or do his check downs.

He was a horrible pick by a horrible GM & HC.

13. wGENOvFANu

wGENOvFANu Active Member

The analysis on this last play is pretty bad. Whoever did it says that "he could have easily hit Amaro over the middle for a first down". Well, if you look at where Amaro is, he is at least 7 yards from a first down with three defenders right behind him. Unless multiple LBs miss that tackle, no way he's getting a first down. That isn't even considering the fact that Geno probably doesn't trust him that much yet with all the drops he had this offseason and the huge drop he had against Chicago.

Kerley is open at the moment that picture was taken, but it definitely looks like the outside LBer knows where he is going and with Kerley being 3 yards behind the LOS he wasn't a real threat.

If you want a TD and not a FG, then tossing a fade to Decker who had 1 on 1 coverage wasn't a bad play. Especially since Decker was 2nd last year in TD catches in the redzone. If Decker is supposed to be the #1 WR, then Geno has to be able to count on him to go up and make a play on some balls, even if he is covered 1 on 1.

But if you actually watch the games this year, then you have definitely seen Geno make multiple reads and hit his 2nd and/or 3rd options and check downs. In college and last year he definitely locked onto WRs before the snap and never looked anywhere else. He's definitely gotten better about not doing that this year (but yeah, he'll still do it every now and then).

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

When the playbook was overwhelming to Geno, we went up and down the field with ease on the Bears with trouble in the RZ. Why not just simplify the playbook for the RZ then? It's not like the ball wasn't moving with Geno, it was moving until the RZ.

Comapre that to last game where the ball just did not move at all. Let the offense be the offense is my opinion

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  15. wGENOvFANu

wGENOvFANu Active Member

Wrong. The play was called in from the sideline, just like it is now. You really don't think Geno is calling all the plays at the line now do you?

In college, Geno would get the initial call from the coaches on the sideline, but he had multiple audibles he could use and he used them a lot (on his own). WVU's OC stated that in 2012, Geno would audible their initial call about 50% of the time and most of the time, he made the right call.

WVU's offensive line really didn't give him time to go past his second read, but when they did, he would often hit his third option. Read one was usually Stedman Bailey or Tavon Austin. Whichever one of those weren't the first read, then they would be his second. His third read would be J.D. Woods, who finished 2012 with 61 receptions for 637 yards.

Most of the time though, he didn't need to go to his third read because Bailey and Austin were usually open.

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Just 2?

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Technically it is since their's only a handful of those types in the league at any point in time.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No way we draft a QB next year. The year after has some real second round steals.

19. JStokes

That is all.

_

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Never say never. We go 1-15, you bet your ass we'll be getting a new QB with a new coach too. Even though the QB prospects don't look that good this coming year. 2016 looks to have some good QBs (Connor Cooks aka Carson Palmer 2.0 pre-injury specifically).

Back to Geno, I think he's going to play decent this weekend. He sounds pissed off and I think that might give him an edge to perform better.