Geno Smith and the "One Read Offense"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 1, 2014.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

As far as staying in the pocket and delivering the ball:
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000394859/Week-2-Jets-vs-Packers-highlights

40 second mark on the Decker TD where Matthews leveled Geno. 55 second mark was Winters shining moment where Geno stood in the pocket, the Packer defender timed the shot perfect to alter Geno's throw that might have gone for 6 and turned into red zone turnover.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000399352/Week-3-Bears-vs-Jets-highlights

Some awful and inexcusable turnovers and the Bostic shoulda been INT had Geno get pressure right in his face in the pocket but the Kerley TD and Salas plays I see Geno stepping into the pocket/staying in the pocket. The Bears on the Jets final drive got too many guys far too quickly into Geno's face.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

So you are suggesting that because he's made a throw with pressure or that he's stepped up a time or two that all is good?

Why is he consistently backpedaling 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage repeatedly? Running out of bounds behind or at the LOS?

Do you think he's reading defenses adequately?

Addressing pressure adequately?

Do you think he's under more pressure than every other QB in the league? Given that last week there was a stat that he was amongst the QBs with the MOST amount of time to throw?

Curious. This is ALL the line and nothing to do with him. Like all other QBs?

_

3. BakerMaker

Of course nobody gets perfect protection but that's doesn't excuse the line getting beat so soon and so quickly. Rodgers is able to make those big plays because he's the best in the NFL at improvising and for his pocket work and great mechanics. Of course Geno nor any young QB will be at that elite level. That's a ridiculous standard set for any QB. Geno's not at that level and may never reach that. Rodgers also has a player we don't have anywhere near the talent of in Jordy Nelson who does not take long to get himself open for Rodgers to connect with.

I just said 2-3 posts back it does NOT EXCUSE Geno's backepeddling but we're not watching the same game if you think the pass protection has done its job for its QB 4 games in. Between the penalties committed by the OLine to help hold back drives and how quick they get beat on the snap, they've not done their jobs.

Geno is inconsistent when it comes to dealing with pressure, I see him like my last post make good strides despite constant harassment but I also see some silly decisions where he needs to hang onto the ball rather than throw it away and as I said in another thread, tries to go for the big play and be superman rather than take what is given and move on. That's gotta stop and it may never but I also know an Alex Smith would not get away with playing on this talent lacking offensive team, so I understand the need for someone trying to make big plays. But Geno needs to learn to not do too much that is on his plate and to let the surrounding cast do their job and allow them to make plays and if they fail, its on them and that will get sorted out with.

4. BakerMaker

Do you have a link to that stat by any chance? I think Geno's legs help compound the amount of time to throw unless your referring to inside the pocket which I would be stunned to read about.

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I've seen him do both at times in every game. He does step in to the pocket and deliver a strike. But he'll also back peddle. He's done some good things and he's improved. But he's prone to return to some bad habits.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  6. JStokes

Can't find it but someone posted it last week.

Among the most time per drop back to throw of any QB this year.

A lot of QBs have legs. Not everyone backpedals 20 yards routinely.

It's not the line--every line has breakdowns.

_

7. BakerMaker

http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/false-start?year=2014

Found an interesting website to see the Jets OLine's count for both false starts and offensive holding.

Jets tied for 2nd in the league in false starts(8) only behind Minnesota's 10. Jets were midpack in this category in 2013 but having 8 false starts in just 4 games is ridiculous, especially given according to this website the league average right now is 4.22 which means we almost double the total amount in our games. Breno Giacomini has registered 3 false starts(2 vs DET), which leads the league right now. Willie Colon is not far behind with 2.

Jets are surprisingly not too far up in the offensive holding area to their credit(6th best which surprises me and 1 was on Eric Decker on the outside) but I think the fact that they are quick passing helps the stat a bit. Jets were 10th fewest last season in this category.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Imagine how shitty this guy would be under playoff pressure?

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I do and I don't want to know.

I do because that would mean we are in the playoffs but I don't because that would be a disaster.

It's amazing how many excuses this guy gets. The wide receivers don't get separation, the offensive line gives him no time, the play calling sucks, the head coach is terrible at developing a QB.

I mean Jesus Christ! When is it Geno Smith's fault? How long is it gonna take for people to understand that Geno Smith is a piece of shit QB? Last year there was somewhat of an excuse. The weapons were terrible and he was a rookie. Now we have a guy like Eric Decker, a solid slot guy named Jeremy Kerley, a rookie tight end who is doing very well named Jace Amaro, and a backfield of fuckin Chris Ivory, Chris Johnson, and Bilal Powell. How is there still excuses for this piece of shit?!

If a guy keeps getting divorced from marriages, eventually he's gotta look in the mirror and blame himself. It can't always be the other fuckin person

10. BakerMaker

While I am shady about FootballOutsiders here are their Oline rankings.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Jets are about midpack in run proteciton(14th in NFL) but are in the bottom half in the league(18th) in their pass protection. Jets have surrendered 9 sacks total(More than 2 per game)

What is alarming are the Jets being 32nd(Dead last) in the NFL Left End(Left Guard) with a -0.55 Adjusted Line Yard. That's absolutely terrible, only the Bills have a negative input from their LG. And who is the Jets LG this season?

DBrick is 19th best, Mangold is 6th best, Colon who's stepped his game up the past 2 games is 3rd best, and Giacomini is right in the middle at 15th best. What I see is an OLine that's been alright but is getting haunted by a mediocre season by DBrick and an AWFUL season by Winters, two guys responsible for Geno's blindside.

And according to this site, our running backs run the least to Winters (9%) go for Mangold up the middle for 51% of the time so it is suspect as to Winters being responsible for the success of our running game. We rank 8th in the amount of carries total, which isn't too surprising.

I don't want to get crazy over stats since they can be a bit skewed and flawed and don't always tell the whole story but what I see out of this OLine is one major culprit holding them and the offense down and that is Brian Winters. Everybody has been average at best(Giacomini and DBrick) if not very good(Mangold and Colon) but its weighed down by the LG of the team, which should surprise no one.

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Geno Smith is the second worst QB in football. He is tied for the most interceptions and leads the league in turnovers. He is in the bottom half of the league in percentage and TD passes.

Funniest part? He's doing this poor with a one read offense! A one fuckin read offense! I mean, Holy shit.

12. BakerMaker

Its been well documented the failures of Geno this year(esp on this board) but he's not alone and I thought it would be interesting to see where the OLine stands 4 games into the season. Winters has not gotten enough heat for his performance or lack there of and there have surely been other culprits.

I knew Winters was bad but I had no idea it was this bad. If Geno is taking a seat for this team so does Winters, whether for Aboushi or Dozier.

13. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Are you saying attorneys are intelligent?

Please explain to me how you came to the conclusion that out of college Geno Smith was dumb? Even now, I don't know how one comes to that conclusion.

14. JStokes

You know when you hold?

When your QB is running around 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage looking for a receiver downfield.

_

15. b.reyes16

Brick has been getting killed by Winters for two years now.

16. JStokes

I believe Geno's got 2 sacks where instead of throwing the ball out of bounds when flushed from the pocket he ran out of bounds behind the LOS.

You want to point to the line as the culprit, but maybe it's someone else.

_

17. b.reyes16

That probably doesn't help, but you can't attribute our poor o-line play specifically to Geno.

18. JStokes

I'm not. I'm just not blaming Geno's poor play on the line.

_

b.reyes16 likes this.
  19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

outsiders uses a metric that incorporates several elements, and we all know Winters has had his issues. But still the assessment of the OL does not show they are the reason Smith is one of the one or two worst Qb's stat wise in the league.

Compare a mid pack OL rating with the number of sacks Smith has had. Sacks can be solely on the Qb, and as others have noted in his case he's gotten charged with sacks for running out of bounds or holding the ball too long. Hard to blame those on the OL.

20. BakerMaker

Or when you get point blank beat off the snap.

Some other tidbids on the supporting cast I digged up from FootballOutsiders

- Bilal Powell is the best receiving RB on the team but he just hasn't been on the field enough to produce consistently. Ivory barely is ahead of Chris Johnson though Johnson has a 67% catch rate vs Ivory's 64%. Powell has an 80% but again its been seldom he's been used as that type of a weapon.
    - Ivory to no surprise has been the far more productive of the RBs, he's 9th best in the NFL in rushing production which pisses me off even more how he has not been a vocal point of the offense until this past game.
    - Eric Decker is ranked 23rd among NFL Wrs this year, Jeremy Kerley 68th(Which stunned me). Both are at around 58(Decker) to 59(Kerley) percent for their catch rate. Neither guy have been able to draw a penalty against whoever is covering them for Def. Pass Int. but I think Decker's gotten a illegal contact call vs Detroit coming off the top of my head.
    - Greg Salas to no surprise has been the 3rd best WR on the team(Case can be made he might do better than Kerley if given more snaps), he has a 45% percentage catch rate but because he's been seldom used, the drop vs Oakland in the endzone probably hurt this catch rate. Greg Salas has beaten out Jeremy Kerley in DYAR(WR with more value) and DVOA(WR with more value per play). Anytime the ball is in Salas' hands, positive things have happened.
    - David Nelson has been beyond mediocre, Salas blows him away but sadly Nelson probably is going to be still ahead in the pecking order. His catch rate is 60% which is best among any of our guys, albeit barely. Only WR of the 4 to have negative Effective Yards with -11, which according to this website is the worst among any WR so far this year who has caught at least 5 passes
    - Jace Amaro is 17th among NFL TE's, which is very good to hear. Beat out Ebron, ASJ(Who has barely if at all played), he's been the best rookie TE in the NFL this year. 79% catch rate, only positives on his board. Please use him more
    - Can't say the same on Jeff Cumberland, who has not done too well this year(He's not far behind Gronkowski, which amazes me). Amaro has outperformed Cumberland by a mile.