Geno Smith and the "One Read Offense"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Open up the playbook -> PICK!
    Dumb down the playbook -> PICK!

What a glorious situation to be in. I do not envy Marty's position now.

EDIT: QB is responsible for identifying Mike from the get-go; that's the bare minimum of what QBs usually do on every play. Then the OL will adjust the blocking, based on QB's reading. OL crumbling is not a function of OL alone - QB sees the defense better than any of the OL ever will anyway. On top of that, the QB has to have a pocket presence - sensing where the pressure is coming from, and when. Geno showed exactly zero sense of that. [i.e. red zone pick against GB.]

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This is hurtful. Always gotta be dumping on the lawyers.

_

3. JStokes

No, his issue is the inability or unwillingness to step up INTO the pocket. How many times have we seen him get chased and do a 10, 15 20 yard drop whilst looking down field while he might have stepped up and been in a position to see the short underneath route?

Don't be so quick to blame the line. Plenty of QBs face that pressure and seem to step into it and avoid it.

_

4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

So Chad Pennington? ba dum tshhh

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Enough of the fuckin excuses.

Give it up man. If a QB needs to have one read to do better and even then he's turning the ball over twice a game, you need to move on. Stop trying to make a fuckin excuse for everything he does.

6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Geno's taken some shots this year and has made throws while absorbing hits. The Decker TD in Green Bay had Clay Matthews all over Geno's face, Geno got put down in the Bears game before getting a TD to Kerley, Geno absorbed a hit on the lone TD drive of the day from the offense vs Detroit(Forget who it was but they nearly took out Geno's shins by aiming low which I thought might have drew a flag). I don't question his toughness or unwillingness inside the pocket, he's taken some shots, and that's what every QB does. The problem is the OLine gets beat off the ball/snap way too soon and it breaks down the intended play and forces Geno to tuck it and run(Which for some reason has halted) or try and make a forced/tough throw. Some of Geno's throws have been very tough grabs by our targets but its intended so the defender cannot make a play on the ball.

I don't blame the line when it comes to Geno holding the ball too long as you're asking too much our of the line to hold for __ seconds, that's either because WRs do not get proper seperation, there's miscommunication on the route or Geno misses a guy he needs to hit and then has nowhere to go but force a throw or put the ball in a tough position for the WR to get to not give the defender a play on the ball.

7. JStokes

Whut?

_

8. BakerMaker

What excuses?

Start to blame the pass protection of the OLine for some of the offensive faults. Again, its more than 1 guy holding the offense down. You in particular thought this is a great team long before the season started with the sunshining and I don't mind the optimism(I even encouraged some of that since times like post-2014 NFL draft when the feeling was mixed due to not trading draft picks, the selections, potential reaches etc.) but lets call it like it is, this is a flawed football team and its not just at the QB position.

9. BakerMaker

Whut what? You don't think Geno's tough enough to take hits in the pocket? I've seen it quite a bit where's stood in the pocket and got whacked down. Its not about unwillingness to stay in the pocket, its about being chased out of the pocket due to pass protection breakdowns happening way too soon.

10. JStokes

What the fuck are you talking about?!?

He's made 5 throws that were intended so the defender could not make a play on the ball?

And the 4 INT drops?

Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?

_

11. Falco21

The offensive line has its issues but when an offensive coordinator needs to dumb down the offense so much so that defensive players are mocking him, it becomes pathetic.

I don't care how bad the offensive line can be. If this is the offense we need to run for him to succeed, we are fucked. And even then, he still manages to turn the ball over at a high rate. Even with this dumb ass offense built for a three year old.

12. JStokes

I never said he wasn't tough--he IS.

He just chooses to backpedal AWAY from the pressure for a 20 yard drop rather than step up and avoid it.

Are you not watching what's happening?

_

13. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

The last 2 games have totally turned me off to Geno. The turnovers? There have been worse games then the past 2. The comp percentage? Sanchez lived at those numbers..even his "good" years...no big deal.

The thing for me is his accuracy. Its been pathetic..horrible. Gone are the short on the money throws. Then you have the guy leaving the stadium and doing what we all would love to do..giving a f you to the fans. Love it..unless you are a struggling qb losing games in NYC every week. That tells me you are on your way out. His press conferences have gone from "I have to do better" to "its a team failure".

Its a problem...and this team needs a change...a the HC really needs a change to save his job. Yet that has happened which leads you to believe that either Rex is an idot. Rex has been told he is coming back no matter what. Rex has been told to use this kid and find out what he has..but can still be fired at years end. Unless its Rex has been told he is coming back no matter what...Rex is digging his own grave.

14. BakerMaker

You think the Jets pass protection has been good this year?

You're talking about INTs, I am talking about his placement of the ball.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Have some fucking patience guys. By year 4 he should be onto at least 2 or 3 reads. Just deal with the suck until then because you're a bad fan if you don't.

Fuck this Geno guy.

OverloadBlitz likes this.
  16. JStokes

Do you only watch the Jets or do you watch all of the other 31 teams.

NO ONE has perfect protection, but when they do, that's when they shine and when Geno shines.

It's when the protection breaks down when the GOOD QBs make the plays.

Geno comes under pressure and BACKPEDALS 20 yards behind the LOS and either runs out of bounds (sometimes short of the LOS) or throws pics.

Do you think Geno does a good job dealing with the pressure?

Do you like his 20 yard drops?

Or is that all on the line.

Just trying to determine your level of excuse making.

_

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think it's Idzik. He trys to portray himself as cool, but he knows he's never held this job before. He knows he has no track record. He knows other of his draft picks range from suspect to bad. He knows he was stuck with working with Ryan, but how likely is it he's totally on the same page as him? Temperamentally they seem very different.

So it makes sense that he's worried about the perception of not only his having picked Smith in last year's draft, but in the apparent way the Jets set up this season for Smith as well. His fingers are all over what is looking like wasting two seasons. Id be concerned, too, if I was him.

18. Falco21

We saw this first hand with Rodgers. His protection was breaking down like crazy with our defensive line. He torched us in the second half

19. JStokes

Because he STEPS UP into the pressure then makes the quick decision.

Geno is back there running around looking to make the perfect downfield pass when the defenders have him lined up, reading his eyes.

That's NOT on the line.

_

20. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

To be fair we got a few other issue's on offense, Geno just compounds them with some of the worst decision making ever.