Geno Smith and the "One Read Offense"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

"After last week's loss to the Chicago Bears, it seemed Mornhinweg was under the impression that the Jets offense struggled because Smith was asked to do too much.

As a result, the offense was scaled back to a remedial level. What Mornhinweg got in return were remedial results.

The Jets were far too easy to defend because of their predictability. As Lions and former Jets safety James Ihedigbo told ESPN's Rich Cimini: "He is a one-look guy. But that's kind of how the offense is designed, to make the easy read and get the ball out of his hand quick."

While this approach certainly makes life easy on Smith from a decision-making standpoint, the Lions were able to sit on routes, unafraid of Smith looking to his existent second read, just as they did on this slant to Decker.

[​IMG]

Decker runs a good enough route, but the cornerback is able to sit on top of the route and make a play on the ball, just by reading Smith's eyes. Smith never bothered to look in another direction because he was never instructed to. The ball was going in Decker's direction regardless of who might have been open on the other side.

[​IMG]

What seems like a harmless incompletion on a short slant route actually illustrates one of the root problems of the Jets offense. The Jets are treating Smith like a rookie, having him make remedial throws and reads, suggesting that they do not have nearly as much confidence in him as they claim to.

This was also a problem when the Jets got into the red zone. Once again, Smith locks on to Decker before the ball is even snapped. Not once does he bother to survey the rest of the field or try to look off a lurking safety.

[​IMG]

Decker was in one-on-one coverage and nearly made a highlight-reel touchdown catch, but Smith had much better options on this play. He could have easily hit Amaro over the middle for a first down. Jeremy Kerley was unaccounted for in the flat with acres of field to work with—he could have easily scored.

The Jets receivers are not a group that is going to garner many Pro Bowl votes, but this game was not lost because Kerley and Amaro were unable to get separation. These players rarely had a chance to even be considered to get the ball, either by Mornhinweg's design or Smith's inability to survey the field. "

LongIslandBlitz likes this.
  2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Isnt a simplified offense what the Jets tried to do last year during that terrible run of 4 games?

If you're going to play Geno, let him sling it. If your going to give him a remedial offense, just play Vick.

3. Falco21

This overview is downright scary when you really look at it.

This is what our offense is. A one read offense that even if there are open options, the throw is being made to one guy no matter what. That's a very scary thought.

4. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

What the hell were you expecting this kid to do out of college? He played in a one read offense. Were you expecting him to develop into Peyton Manning to read defenses? He's too dumb for that, and don't point to the wonderlic because I know attorney's that have taken it and scored lower. Like I said the day we drafted him, he will never last because he is too dumb, and lacks the ability to be recognizes fronts and coverages. Give me Chad Pennington's brain and the worst arm in the NFL any day.

Ben Had and GoldenShowers like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Kaepernick essentially runs a 1 read offense as well. He doesn't go through his progressions. You can even look at the Bridgewater debut against the Falcons, majority were all 1 read, they are get the ball out plays.

Can't say that's on Marty, but Geno should be able to survey the field at this juncture.

6. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

This is either a coaching problem or Geno just downright can't read through progressions quick enough for the coaching staff's trust, either one is scary as fuck. I went back and looked at a few college games of his and I saw pretty much the same thing, it was a one read shotgun spread quick throw offense. One of the reasons why I'm not so high on guys like Winston and Mariota the offenses they run are very similar.

GoldenShowers likes this.
  7. Falco21

Well you can blame coaching I guess, but this was done because when a more detailed offense was ran, he couldn't take it. This is a resort of having to deal with Geno and his ability. The offense needed to be dumbed down to this for him.

The coaching problem lies in the decision to keep him starting. If this is the offense we need to run for him to get better, he shouldn't be near an NFL field.

Big Blocker and Ajitator like this.
  8. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

How can this be blamed on MM? He obviously has WRs out there running routes and getting open. I HIGHLY doubt Marty is telling Geno "THrow it to Decker no matter what",.. This has to be all on Geno.

Even with a "One-read-offense" that you're describing the other younger QBs are using, That doesn't mean that you NEVER look off the WR. Also In that kind of system the 2nd "read" is the checkdown to the flat or RB. You don't just throw it at option #1 and hope.

9. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Seriously,.. If you have to dumb down Marty's system that much where we're basically telling the defense they only need to cover 1 guy,.. Why THE HELL is Geno still starting? If nothing else Vick has spent time in this system and knows how it works.

inri2000 and Red Menace like this.
  10. OverloadBlitz

Maybe Vick is looking like shit in practice then? There's a few things bothering me when I went back and looked at some of our games this season, Winters gets lazy with his technique and lets guys beat him across the face inside, Decker looks a little lazy at times on his routes and had a few big drops, the defensive secondary is just not communicating well at all, a lot of the big plays we gave up should NEVER have happened. Perfect play call on that long touchdown to Detroit, quarters coverage with no receiver going up the seam there should have been 2 guys there ready for the pick.

Most of these things are compounded by the offense's inability to be consistent and get points on the board. I'm really starting the question some of the talent we have at certain positions, I mean AA at corner? C'mon Man.

11. Falco21

That all is likely true, but if this is our offense, we are fucked no matter how much better the other problems get.

When you have opposing defensive players mocking our offense saying how easy it is to defend, we are in a shit ton of trouble.

If this needs to be our offense for Geno to improve, we need to find another quarterback. This is fuckin ridiculous

12. OverloadBlitz

Whether its Vick or Geno back there we need to give our backs more touches though, Ivory had most of his touches in the first Drive.

Professor likes this.
  13. Falco21

I had that in the other thread.

Marty moved away from what was working in the run game and no one knows why. Those are the things that baffle me with the coaching staff.

Something like this one read offense I don't believe falls on the hands of the coaching staff

OverloadBlitz likes this.
  14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

For all of his film study, practice reps, and game experience, if Geno can't go through his progressions, then he shouldn't be an NFL QB. Plain and simple. I'm not a "start Vick!" guy, but I'm sick of this team coddling QBs. You dumb down the offense, you quickly make the defense look a lot smarter.

Red Menace and Vahncase like this.
  15. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

FRIG YEAH...FRIG YEAH!! Great job Falc.

I mean...what the hell are we doing here??? Something over in Jetland stinks to high heaven. You have a coach on the hot seat sticking with a qb who is a one look wonder and given a more simple offense playbook. All the while, the guy on the bench..who nobody truly loves..but likes enough to maybe save a season sits there.

While this is happening..the coach with a noose around his neck and will be fired if the team comes up 6-10 or worse..100 percent...sticks with the kid saying things like "I just believe in him..we see too much good to throw the kid away". HUH?

The GM..who drafted the kid in the second round would be the person who fires the head coach who I don't care what ANYONE says....is probably being forced to stick with Idziks pick. NO SANE human being..lets put it this way. You are a manager of a firm..and your numbers at the end of the month come up wrong. Everything else you have your hands on are doing fairly well except the numbers..which are being handled by another person that uses a calculator when asked "we had 50 bags of salt and 50 more came in...how many do you have". As that manager...are you not firing this guy that can cause you YOUR JOB?

Only the Jets...only the Jets can have a HC who has done a nice job with his defense and has 1 year left on his contract and has a proven B graded QB veteran sitting on the bench AND HAD ONE OF HIS BEST YEARS EV ER WITH YOUR CURRENT OC... but will not use him..only the JETS can leave their fanbase wondering is this just a bad dream? That two guys...a GM and a HC are in the same position fighting for their future based on a second year qb and no one will pull the trigger?

I could care less if GENO goes to Canton in 15 years..but if its my job on the line let me tell you something...Geno Smith would be Geno the clipboard holder faster then you can say boo. Only the JETS have this absolutely bizarre scenario this year, unfolding right before our eyes.

You look at this past years draft and the job Idzik did with it and you know Woody is sitting up there wondering if that was a good pick...and you have Rex the HC who got that HUGE one year extension using the QB that his GM made a second round pick...and you wonder why this franchise lacks direction every damn year.

inri2000 and OverloadBlitz like this.
  16. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

If he can't play like an NFL QB then he shouldn't be an NFL QB. End of story.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

On one hand, I tend to look at life according to Occam's Razor, which is the term for the notion that in comparing theories, the one that depends on the fewest assumptions is likely the corrrect or most accurate one. Otherwise stated the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

That doesn't seem to apply to the Jets, though. Heh. At least on teh surface. But perhaps Occam's razor in fact still applies.

Let's compare two general theories and which one better explains what is going on. The first is that Marty is screwing up, making stupid decisions all on his own.

The second is that many of the decisions affecting how the O is run depend on a combination of group decisions and assessments, especially assessments of Smith, made by Idzik, Ryan and with some input by Marty, and perhaps even Woody.

On the face of it the first explanation sounds the more simple of the two, right? But then think what would have to also be true in order for that to make sense.

For example we would have to assume that Marty really believes Smith is his best shot at performance from the Qb position. And that beyond that, Marty in effect is the one deciding to play Smith. And beyond that in having decided to play Smith, that he's better off putting the ball in Smith's hands than in relying more on Ivory and the running game, despite evidence to the contrary that Ivory is the most dependable skill player on the team right now.

There are probably a number of other assumptions that go into this, including the obvious implication that Marty is a dumbass. I think these assumptions end up being too numerous.

On the other hand the only assumption one need make for the if you will political explanation is to assume that Idzik has overriding input and wants to play smith (okay, two assumptions). If you assume that, then the whole thing makes sense.

If it is Idzik's decision, then that's why they are playing Smith. And since they are having to play Smith, Marty keeps trying to decide whether it is better to cut Smith loose, to see what he can do, or to limit him in order to minimize mistakes. And he does that going back and forth because both have obvious downsides.

I think that is what is going on.

But then think what

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think Marty goes back and forth between relying on Smith and avoiding doing so because Idzik wants to play Smith, but then Idzik also does not want to hang him out there to fail.

What we are seeing is that they can't have it both ways. If they depend on Smith to succeed by playing as an NFL Qb, he turns the ball over. And if they run the O by lessening his role, they are not seeing what he can do.

The key to all this is playing Smith. If you gave up on that, all problems would be solved.

19. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

One of the problems not talked about in the original post is how often the pocket collapses and chases Geno to the outside and have him either scramble or throw while on the run, which of course affects the accuracy.

They have to get the ball out of his hands quick because there's a big hole in the offensive line in pass protection and its on Brian Winters. He's shown little to no improvement when it comes to staying still and protecting the QB. As a run blocker? Very good, very aggressive but as a pass protector, he does not finish up plays, he gets beat by the same in-move and has a tendency to hold if beat(Not the only lineman in the league at fault for this but it still hurts the offense to put them 10 yard back) when beat, and in 1-2 cases this year, the defender STILL was able to get into Geno's face.

One can chalk it up and say that the Lions do this to opposing offenses, and a case can be made that's very true which is why Digs and others can combat against "But that's kind of how the offense is designed, to make the easy read and get the ball out of his hand quick." because the Lions DLine has been after and been beating up opposing OLines on passing downs. But I've seen this vs the Packers too, a team not known for being strong up front and I don't think it is the last time this pass protection will be under fire. Add missed/whiffed blocks in that game vs DET by both Bohanon and Ivory, both in the 1st quarter and it forces whoever is at QB to go with one read, sometimes eye that receiver and give the Def. Backs the head start.

This does not excuse Geno backpeddling and losing additional yards, which we have seen but that does not also excuse this team getting beat up front so quickly and so easily which I simply do not see enough chatter about on here. D'Brick was at massive fault for this last season but to his credit, he's fixed up his game this year(Was at fault for a false start vs DET, but its not too big of a deal with 1). Giacomini had 2 crucial false start penalties that set the offense back into a long gain and allowed the Lions D to play against the pass and take away targets by crowding the backfield, almost tempting Geno to throw. Mangold had a lousy snap that not even Yao Ming catches that single handedly ended an offensive drive, Colon while has been rock solid the past 2 games(I won't fault him for his late game false start, he missed catching Allen offsides), had a knack last season for awful timed penalties and getting beat by quick DLineman on passing downs and Winters was a big liability after Vlad Duccasse being an absolute disaster the first 3 games.

This OLine on pass protection needs to step their game up. The offense is trying to do quick passes because the pass protection just does not do its job consistently enough and Geno nor our targets minus 1-2 guys are meant to do this. Seeing quick passes to David Nelson vs the Bears was painful late in the game since Nelson is not the type of WR to start that with but at that point, the Bears began blitzing and really going after the QB to end the game and to try and cover up the amount of hurt guys in their secondary.

20. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Well broken record. Only the Jets draft qbs that end up being stupid..dumb...severe learning curve. I mean..isn't this just the same broken record we heard when Sanchez was here? Cutting back the playbook...one look reads..3 step drops. Either the Jets draft morons for the position or this franchise doesn't have the patience to let the playbook go..and let the qb show he has it or he does not have it.

With Sanchez..it was originally to save Tannys and Rexs ass and make the playoffs early in Rexs career. Now the playbook is being cut back to save whos job. Its not about the qb. No team in the NFL begins to prosper by cutting back a qbs choices and making easier reads for the defense. The only way that would work is if the Jets were giving up less then 10 points a game...and that's not the case.

So we cut back the playbook to lessen the turnovers and perhaps get 7 or 8 wins so that might buy Rex...Idzik..OR both another year. Isnt that what this is all about?