Are Jets fans good fans?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hoobash, Oct 1, 2014.

1. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

With the state of this team and the recent feedback from some players do you think we are good fans? I personal dont think so. I know better then anyone how tough it is to be a fan of this team they do disappoint.

2. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Are people good? Mostly yes, it's the vocal minority that the media portray to sell newspapers or generate web traffic. Millions of people every day go to church but nobody writes about that, they write about the Westboro Baptist Church members because that's what sells.

3. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

No, definitely not.

The majority are too quick to judge because most Jets fans like to complain. And then justify it by saying, "patience?! we haven't won since the Vietnam war!"

My favorite dumb Jets fan thing right now is people who are already grading our 2014 draft class.

Dom, JetsVilma28 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We're not in BF Minnesota or Green Bay WI so you can't compare this fanbase with those other fanbases. We just don't have the successful history that the Packers, Cowboys, Patriots, Steelers, etc have. We don't live in Indianapolis either where there is very little else to do besides root for the Pacers if football sucks. My point is, the Tristate area Fanbase is a complicated one. We have a lot of options for our time. We have baseball, basketball, football, hockey so we can be picky as to whom we follow and why.

Jets fans have stayed with this woebegone franchise for decades always believing in "tomorrow". Well, after 46 years of tomorrows, what did anyone expect to happen when this team starts down an all too familiar path. That fans still care is amazing and a testament to the loyalty of this fanbase. Those fans derided as SOJF's were the ones that kept this franchise in the NY/NJ/CT area instead of it getting moved to LA or some other town.

This next generation of Jet Fans that only know from the two AFCCG losses and Rex Ryan seem to ignore all of that and expect their fellow fans to simply ignore history and give this team a clean slate. If you pile up all the clean slates since 1969 they might stretch all the way to China. This next generation of Fans want to give every Jet a mulligan CS and FO included. They absolutely refuse to hold any player or any coach accountable for anything. This is what they call "being a true Jet Fan" is.

Where I come from, that's called being a sucker. The players are now complaining about Fans booing them when they suck? Really? Would they be happier if the stadium was as quiet as a church during a novena? The painful fact is the players get paid for playing. They're not doing this on weekends just because... Fans pay exorbitant amounts of money to see these guys on the field. That in itself should be proof positive that the Jets still have a fanbase that gives a damn. They could easily put that money into other activities or worse yet, watch the Giants. The Jet Fan has choices and they choose to follow this team still.

There's nothing wrong with this fanbase that a well run organization can't cure. We're tired of the circus. We're tired of the excuses. We're tired of blaming the refs. We're just fucking tired of all the nonsense and want better for the team. We thought we had that when Rex got here. He came in and so did the circus. We thought we were getting that with Idzik. He came in and stashed all the 2014 money he could so he could spend it in 2015 on a coach of his choosing.

The worst thing to ever happen to this team was Woody Johnson buying it and making upper level personnel staffing decisions. Its his team, its his money, but the man doesn't know a fucking thing about how to put together a winning Football organization. Must be the PT Barnum in him.

#4 Cman68, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  5. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

We have been going to games knowing we dont' have a chance at the superbowl. NY Jets fans are great loyal fans in my opinion. Inpatient but loyal

6. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

haha Classic :/

7. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Do you mean what's left of our 2014 draft class? :rolleyes:

8. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Lmao no. I hate Jet fans. We are the worst .

Winning or losing.

9. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Nah not the worst!

10. JETSMAN7

JETSMAN7 Member

I wish we were louder on game day. Way too many fans sit there quiet on 3rd down. The fans should give it all just like we expect the players to.

11. DaftGreen

DaftGreen Member

I look at our fan base like this; We are a giant dysfunctional family. Everyone of us have all the answers to all the problems but none of them are right.

KerleyFries likes this.
  12. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

in short anwser.. no

13. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Recently, I find Jets fan pretty annoying. People forget how bad '11 and '12 were. "Cap hell" destroyed the team and now we are slowly, slowly rebuilding. The impatience in fans is evident and probably warranted; but it's also annoying. It's rebuilding folks, it takes time.

At least this brand of football has been decent enough where we are in the game until the very end. We got hosed on a few big calls and have made few really bad decisions; and yet still we have played to the bitter end with a few of the leagues top teams. This is a rough schedule we have faced, outside of Oakland it's been pretty tough. Every qb is getting hit, often, by us and they all seemed damaged in parts throughout the game. Thinking we may have banged some of these teams up so much one of our AFC east rivals will get a weakened opponent.

I think the team is very close to turning the corner, this has been a rough schedule, I just don't know if our fan base will let it happen before "we" demand to blow it up again.

14. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

You're kidding right? The Patriot fans are about to hand Brady over to ISIS for having a bad game, Tom F'n Brady. No, I think our fan base is pretty all right.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  15. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

This is actually going to make the season/league a lot of fun to watch. If New England fans are truly ready to throw the towel on Brady they deserve what is ultimately coming. I see many years of mediocrity, for them, ahead. Lighting is not going to strike twice, you get a player like Brady once in a lifetime.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

CMman gets it.

Look at it this way. I think Richardson is a great player. But how long has he been a Jet fan? In the sense that we all are, he's not even a fan now. Sure he wants the team to succeed, I assume. But he wants to pursue his career more than that, get paid, continue to get paid, be rewarded for his individual performance and all those things mean more to him than how well the team does. But up until last year, he had no connection with the Jets. I have been a Jet fan far far longer than Richardson has had involvement with the team.

It's the nature of things. The fans here have varying lengths of histories as such. But as a group we have all had far longer involvement with the team than the players. And we as a group care far more about team success than about individual performance of this or that player (I recognize there are exceptions to this, but I said as a group).

I also agree with Cmman that the problems with the current situation all start with Woody. As the saying goes a fish rots from the head. My fear is the situation is not going to really improve until he sells the team.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

As for Jet fans, these are my people. It's like belonging to a dysfunctional family. YOu can see the flaws in your family members, even in yourself. But it's still your family and you have to love them.

I love Jet fans. We're the best.

18. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I can understand the fans that have been fans for the last 30-40 years being bitter. But I still dont think they're bad fans. Just beaten down.

Personally Ive only been following the team since 99. In that time the Jets have been pretty good. Nothing great but def not horrible. So maybe Im not as bitter as I would be if I was born earlier.

But the fans that are my age or younger that live and die with every game are the ones that annoy me. Go be Raiders or Browns fans and send me a postcard.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We've played musical chairs far too many years now. Parcelles? gone. Belichick? gone. Groh? gone. Herm? gone. Mangenious? gone. Rex? we'll see soon enough.

I could do the same thing with QBs. gone. gone. gone. gone. gone. Almost gone.

The problem with NY is the vast marketing that drives very impatient fans. "But we haven't won shit in over 40 years". Maybe because you and fans like you who scream/cry/demand change every 360 days.

Regardless of how this season plays out, I definitely want 'some' year over year consistency. For those who cry "we're on the wrong track, fire everyone and start over", this is exactly the thinking that sets us back to square one far too often.

Idzik, Geno, Milliner, Richardson, and many more are just 4 games into their second season. Others are 4 games into their nfl careers.

Give our current situation 2 more years of building and growing to figure it out and get to the top. If not? Then drop the hammer and start all over again.

fozzi58, KerleyFries and JetsVilma28 like this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Like I said, the Jet Fan has choices for his entertainment dollars and time yet he still spends both on the Jets. More often than not on a promise of "tomorrow being a better day". This team has been on the verge for so long now that we haven't recognized that tommorrow has turned into yesterday for a lot of us.

We still hang on to "tomorrow" Why, because that's all we have. The problem comes in, as with most things that frustrates a person in life, is how long do you believe in "tomorrow"? If you're a young Jets fan, you have endless tomorrows. You have no expectations other than what you're told by the team to expect. What happens when the team fails to meet those expectations? There's always "tomorrow".

At some point, the Jets will have to turn "tomorrow" into "Today" or else it will bring on the dreaded apathy monster which IMO is a franchise killer. The Mets are already there and if it wasn't for their kid pitchers, CitiField would look like Randalls Island on most game days. Again, I'm not sure Idzik is the right GM for this market. If you're into handing out endless mulligans for the foreseeable future, Idzik is your guy and Rex your coach. If you have endless tomorrows to use, burn them on the Jets if you're still young enough to do so.

For those of us who value our time and money, we demand a bit more from our teams than 8-8 and a boatload of excuses. Seems to me there are several kinds of Jet fans. Those who will give out endless mulligans and those who demand more. There's a growing segment of Jet fans that simply say: "Show me"..

Count me in that last group. I'll leave giving out endless passes to the younger fans. Besides, I've already seen a Jets Super Bowl so I'm good. The rest of you? I hope you live long enough to see one. Even if its a loss, at least be able to experience a Jets team playing in a Super Bowl. There's nothing quite like this City when that happens. Just ask any Giants Fan.