Fire everyone, cut everyone, blame everyone

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetsclaps, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i'm a fan that doesn't expect a turn around through FA, which is what you were all clamoring for two years ago

rohirrim665 likes this.
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Especially since none of us are in the building making decisions and devising schemes.

Hey you know what?

I'm going to worry about the secondary, the red zone offense AND the return game.

How about THAT?

_

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Marshall and Megatron from my perspective do not have a history of fragility, and to put them even when healthy on the same level as Milliner is laughable. So it's more like a superhighway compared to a cowpath than a two way street.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Injuries aside we do have less than stellar CBs playing as well as they possibly can right now. What Jets fans have to ask themselves is will this hold up to the point where it will be validation for Idzik's passive approach to addressing the position or is it just a matter of time before our CBs start playing at their talent level?

5. Big Blocker

First of all many FO Homers here just a few weeks ago thought the FO did just fine by the secondary in picking up Patterson. It's not like they didnt go FA for the secondary. They just picked the wrong player. Which most people here thought was likely, most people not being the FO Homers here who pretend that the FO builds solely through the draft.

Have you seen how Cromartie has been playing for the Cards? Heh. Yeah, changing him out for Patterson was brilliant.

6. Big Blocker

In addition to the bad stats for the pass D, the cb roster right now is razor thin, and with Pryor going out and Allen committed to the Cb position, the Jets played Jarrett against Detroit, who to his credit did reasonably well. But after Landry and Jarrett, who do they have to rotate at safety?

Hopefully Pryor comes back, not that he's been great in coverage.

7. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

he has been playing well, but it's a little different with patrick peterson covering #1 WRs. they've played teams that don't throw the ball a lot (minus chargers)

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Stephen Hill would still be here, drops, awkwardness, injuries and all if he had caught 4 or 5 key TD passes in tight Jets wins.

Let's get real here. If Geno doesn't lead several good drives at the end of games last year and the Jets don't finish 8-8 despite his generally poor play and an overall lack of talent on the team Geno never gets the chance to start this year.

What's happening right now is that Geno is fumbling away the second opportunity that his finish last year and performance in a few other games late gave him.

It's not particularly fair but it is the NFL at work. You get so many games to prove you belong, with people the franchise is heavily invested in getting the most slack in the process.

If Eli Manning was the Giants 39 pick in 2004 he'd have been a backup QB somewhere long before the first SB win. That just is what it is. He was *terrible* in many games in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007. He was beyond terrible in many of them. The Giants had no choice but to stick it out because if he went he took just about everybody above him down also.

That's not where the Jets are with Geno Smith. He has a limited shelf life to prove he belongs in the NFL and the due date is just around the corner.

9. legler82

I agree with what you wrote about Eli and if "several good drives" is what earned Geno a challenge free starting job then God help us.

10. Br4d

You're aware that the Jets have faced the 7th, 11th, 12th and 21st ranked passing offenses in the NFL but somehow are the 15th ranked pass defense, yes?

Only 10 teams have allowed a lower completion percentage than the Jets.
    Only 11 teams have allowed fewer yards per pass attempt.
    The QB Rating isn't good but that's because the Jets haven't managed to intercept anybody yet. That's a problem but not like giving up 8 yards a pass attempt or allowing two-thirds of the passes attempted to be completed would be.

If you look at the teams they've faced the Jets are allowing pretty much what you'd expect them to allow. They're not getting torched by the big passers, they're giving up what you'd expect to the big passers.

Jets allow 63% completions this year. Their opponents complete 65.5% percent of passes when not facing the Jets.
    Jets allow 6.62 YPA this year. Their opponents get 6.53 YPA when not facing the Jets.
    Ok, so where the Jets pass defense has been well below average is on taking the ball away from the opponent. Where it has been slightly below average is on giving up TD passes.

Given that only one of the 4 guys back there has every been a starter at the position he is playing and that three of them are young players I think the Jets pass defense has been very respectable so far. They need to build on this and they really need to get Milliner back to help out soon.

You guys calling for Rex's head because the Jets pass defense has been taken advantage of at times are just not dealing with reality here. With the exception of Carr the Jets have faced three veteran QB's known for racking up big numbers, particularly against bad pass defenses. Only one of them has actually really torched the Jets and the guy is one of the top 4 QB's in football at this point. He destroyed Chicago's pass defense last weekend. (yes, the one with Kyle Fuller in it having a great season.)

The Jets are the #1 run defense in the NFL right now at 63 yards a game and a 3.0 average. If the pass defense was really bad they'd be getting torched all over the place.

I know most of the people harping on this are trolls out to have a laugh at our expense but I'd expect you to have better judgement on this issue.

11. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I feel like every 50 years the NFL should have a reshuffling... So all rosters, coaching staff, front office personal, division alignment are reset... And we have a fucking fan run fantasy draft at Radio City Music Hall...

Starting today.

74 likes this.
  12. Br4d

It wasn't several good drives. It was several good drives plus a 3-1 December that Geno contributed to as much as anybody.

It wasn't a challenge-free starting job, it was a meet the goals we expect of you and the job is yours starting job. Geno did that in the off-season and has now regressed in-season. Michael Vick wasn't brought in just to push Geno. He was brought in to play if Geno couldn't meet the demands of the position and we're getting near that point now.

13. Big Blocker

I don't know what you are talking about with teams that don't throw alot. The Cards rank ninth in the NFL right now on the stats of pass attempts against their D at 37.3. Probably since the Cards have been getting up on opponents, their opponents are passing the ball, or trying to, against them.

Clearly the Jets would have been much better off keeping Cromartie than letting him go and attempting to replace him with Patterson. How much factual evidence does one need to ignore to reach a contrary conclusion?

Perhaps we will soon find out from any and all contrary assertions here.

14. legler82

In my book, "challenge-free" = "meet the goals we expect of you…in the off season" as you can't show you won't turn the ball over in the off-season. While there's been a bit of bad luck with regards to the young QBs the organization has drafted, the poor handling of such has been all on them.

15. Big Blocker

You at least refer to some of the stats that are adverse to the Jets, to your credit, such as Qb rating. Which is awful, and also the lack of interceptions. TD pass total is also awful at third worst in the league. If you look at the TD v. Int. ratio, it is worst in the league.

THe ypa and total yardage numbers look better than they otherwise would since the O is not giving the D good field position on average. Yes, that is on the O for the most part, but then asserting it is to the D's credit that it has less yardage to give up is, well, a problematic argument.

But on the bolded part I for one am not blaming Ryan. I think the blame falls on Idzik for not getting the Jets better corners.

As for the comparison to the run D, you know better than to say it should lead to the pass D getting torched. Chicago and Detroit led their games from their first scores and never fell behind. Why should they rely on the pass to aggressively attack the Jets when they are ahead? When their best receivers were hurt?

GB's stats against the Jets were awful but would have been worse but for some miscues by the Pack O in the first half. GB also lost two of its first three before killing Chicago last week. What point you want to make out of GB's year so far is not clear to me.

Look Brad, you know and I know that all off season you were defending the moves and non-moves of the FO. Now the Jets are 1-3 with a shit Qb and a woefully thin secondary that is deficient in several categories despite being helped by a front seven that leads the league in sacks. I would think by now you might be a bit more respectful of those like me who have been skeptical of the FO's approach to the secondary and much of the rest of the team as well by now. At least have a bit of humility.

16. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

You expect a rookie with no nfl experience to turn the Jaguars into contenders? Um...ok. well so far he's 0 for 1.

17. legler82

#RIF

18. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

You certainly can, but regardless, all the games we've lost were winnable if not for major red zone debauchery. (Among many other things, yes, but red zone deficiency was the most tangible, not penalties and referees) I'm not vaunting the secondary, but they have played better than expected and their negative impact is not as glaring as the red zone offense, in my opinion.

My question to you is, what should we have done to fix the secondary? Not draft Calvin Pryor and let him develop? Sign DRC or Vontae Davis? Foresee the injuries? ( Might even give you that one) Or foresee Patterson going missing? I might be missing something, but there isn't much we could have done besides overspend for a FA, while we really should be trying to develop draft picks in Milliner and Mcdougle.

#58 rohirrim665, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  19. Br4d

You still don't get it.

You're buying the crap the media has been spooning out all spring and summer. The Jets actually have a decent secondary at this point. It's not world class but it's getting the job done. You can't consistently stop great QB's. You particularly can't do that when the offense gives up short fields fairly often and the special teams contributes a mid-field turnover.

Jay Cutler passed for 60% completions and 5.92 YPA against the Jets. He did get 2 TD passes and he wasn't picked off. What else has he done this year? He passed for 349 yards against the Bills, he passed for FOUR TD passes against the 49ers. He passed for 2 TD's and 7+ yards per attempt against the Packers last weekend.

Why did the Jets not beat the Bears? Because the offense kept turning the ball over at bad times and could not get into the end zone from the red zone.

That has nothing to do with the secondary. Cutler has torched two secondaries this year and had two mediocre games. If the Jets don't turn the ball over they win that game. If the officials don't blow the Cutler fumble dead they probably win that game.

Why did the Jets not beat the Packers? Because they turned the ball over and they got a bad whistle at a key point and they tried to rush Milliner back from his injury to face Rodgers. This game was probably the Packers game even without that because the Jets got two huge breaks early on and could not capitalize but you can't pin the loss on the guys in the starting secondary. They did as well as they could and then one big play against a player who shouldn't have been in the game cost them. Another big play sealed the deal when the Jets lost the TD on the timeout call.

Why did the Jets not beat the Lions? It was the offense. Pointing at the secondary is just a fool's errand when 6 of the Jets 11 drives ended up with a punt and 2 more on a turnover.

If the QB play becomes better this team still has a decent shot at a playoff spot. With better offensive performance all around this team is 3-1 right now.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  20. Big Blocker

This has been a problem developing over two off seasons. I had high hopes for the way Milliner finished last season, but he looks more and more like a fragile player who can't stay on the field. and not being on the field he is not developing enough to live up to his draft status. So that's a problem not limited to this past off season's moves and lack thereof.

But simply redoing Cromartie's contract and keeping him on the team would put the Jets in a vastly better position than they are in now.

Cromartie signed for not much more then Idzik signed Patterson for, and Patterson was a jag.