Geno Smith Sucks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Playcalling adjustment would go a long way in that regard.

2. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

He flat out missed 4-5 wide open receivers against the Lions. He's too slow and deliberate in his decision to run.. he essentially telegraphs it to the defense then runs sideways instead of up the field to gain positive yards. He has no pocket awareness on his blind side which means he isn't focusing on or recognizing what the defense is doing over there in his pre-snap reads, he's just getting the ball in his hands looking for a receiver and throwing it towards the receiver he locks onto whether or not he's open and whether or not the other receivers are open that he hasn't bothered to look at. When under duress he runs backwards and forgets to throw the ball away resulting in deep sacks. The playbook had to be dumbed down to avoid the type of plays that have resulted in interceptions at or near the line of scrimmage. he has no clue how to line up under center so their backs need to get the ball deeper in the backfield which can result in a lot negative yardage runs. The fact that he's operating out of the shot gun pretty much kills the surprise of the play action pass that catches defenses out of position for easy gains.

He did however throw a perfect pass to the other team when there was no Jet receiver in the area so I guess you can say that was accurate ; )

MizzouJet likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

When Geno is good the kid is amazing to watch.

However, I don't see any improvement in the decision making process. That's troublesome. He doesn't play situation football

JetBlue likes this.
  4. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

4th rounder for Brady, get it done. Trade would bring out the fire in Brady while getting revenge against the Pats and winning another ring with us

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Players still has to execute.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

7. The 1985er

He has used his legs far more, he's actually thrown under center a few times this year. He's able to make pre snap adjustments and audible and has changed his protection on the line. He's extended plays with his legs and bought time in the pocket. He's stepping up in the pocket and going through his progressions. He's improved over last year. He's still a work in progress and he still does a few of the things you mentioned in your post. But he's doing them a lot less. If he improves his decision making he'll be alright. He has the physical tools and he's improving.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

no doubt. but he is competing at 60%.

Perfect example is the pick at the end of the first half in GB,

that play had no business being called. did it work...yes, except the part where Geno got hit as he was delivering theball.

but we had a lead and the three points we were sitting on, were far more valuable than going for the throat at the half, since we were getting the ball back after the half,
    That 10 point swing was the difference in the game.

too many times already they've been asking him to throw the ball in situations where they should be taking points.
    which is not to say abandon the passing game in the Red Zone, but be aware of what he can and cannot do at this stage of his career.

9. The 1985er

I agree with the bold.

As for your second point he's still a work in progress. I see improvements but he still falls back on bad habits. If he doesn't clean it up that'll be his downfall.

10. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The plays he uses his legs on in a good way are by and large designed runs or a quick read then run. He's not that good when scrambling. No argument with his physical tools.. I've said all along he has a $1mm arm and a 2 cent head. Nothing he's done has changed my view on that. I disagree on reading progressions, he's missed way too many open receivers because he locks onto one guy.

11. The 1985er

I had no problem with the playcall. Running him up the gut was an example of bad play calling.

12. The 1985er

Not true he's broken tackles and made people miss. I think he's imoroved on going through progressions. He does fall back on bad habits. He does stare guys down but he's doing it a lot less.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The biggest problem in my opinion with Geno, is football smarts. I don't think he can process information, read defenses, make decisions and execute it in the quick, fast reaction time needed at the NFL level. He was good and accurate in College because the mental aspect of the game was much less tasking than in the NFL. I might be wrong but his biggest challenge is with his brain power and football IQ, not with his arm or feet. I hope he proves me wrong.

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agree completely. Geno has a great arm and is a book smart player but his game time IQ is terrible. When he was in college, he played in an offense that many no name quarterbacks could thrive in. The play was basically built for one read and was a quick short burst attack.

He comes into the NFL where a QB needs to progress through his reads and make accurate intelligent passes and we all see how he struggles. The game is too fast for him. It has slowed down some, as his play has gotten better, but it just doesn't seem like it will ever slow down enough.

15. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

That last sentence right there really sums up what's wrong with Jet fans. There is no "suddenly". It's a progression. Is the guy not allowed any time to develop, or is he supposed to be playing like an All-Pro already?

BTW --- Any idea which QB has the most passing yards and the highest YPA in our division?

16. Falco21

You're making the AFC East division the measuring stick for him? Have you seen who is in the AFC East division? Granted, Tom Brady has had a shit year, but you're comparing him against EJ Manuel and Ryan Tannehill? Lol

Oh god

17. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Yeah ... I'm crazy like that. I'm comparing him to the QBs we need to beat. Pretty stupid.

18. Falco21

No, the qbs we need to beat are Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Alex Smith, Big Ben, etc.

Not to mention yards in a game don't tell you shit about the quarterback play. Last game, Alex Smith threw for 200 yards and three touchdowns and never threw a pass over 8 yards.

This game is based on overall record, not just teams in Division.

19. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I just listened to (actually, watched) Rex Ryan's press conference from earlier today . . . and my first impression: Geno SO isn't getting benched anytime soon. You would think he was talking about Andrew Luck.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Is Hobbes on the Smith train?

I'm impressed.

It's easy to suck at quarterback. Just ask Tom Brady.