The AFC East

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Axel3419, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Patriots: 2-2
    Bills: 2-2
    Dolphins: 2-2
    Jets: 1-3

At this point, no matter how bad we've been playing, the AFC East can be won by any of us. If we start to turn this team around in the next few games, it is going to be the divisional games that determine our fate.

If we have any chance at 8-8/9-7, we're going to have to beat the Pats, Bills and Dolphins. And though it's an early prediction, a 9-7/10-6 record may be all it takes to win the division this year.

Then again, the Jets have only won the AFC East twice in our long history...

2. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

holy shit i thought i knew everything about the jets and that is the most interesting stat i've ever seen.

only twice? you'd really think karma would come and give us more than that

Vida and Axel3419 like this.
  3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

It's winnable if we go Vick

By the way, pats forums exploding ripping Brady, asking for Pats to start JAG next week......

So one of greatest QB's of all time getting no love - football fans are fickle

Vida likes this.
  4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm cautiously optimistic about Brady's decline. I'm chalking it up to playing against a solid Chiefs defense.

The division is up for grabs but too bad we blew those 3 games.

kevmvp likes this.
  5. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I know. When I first read that stat I couldn't believe it... It's not that we've always been a horrible team. It's that we've played the last 3 decades with a dominant Miami team, a dominant Bills team, and a dominant Patriots team.

6. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

One thing I feel is that I would be mad as hell if my team spent the last 5 years not giving Brady a stud WR
    Agree
    By process of elimination, it's our turn to be the dominant team

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The good news is our division games are very winnable. EJ Manuel and Ryan Tannehill hare very questionable QB's nothing like the gauntlet were in the middle of. We should be able to get to them with our defensive front, and make their lives hell. The Patriots are not doing so hot clearly, although they always seem to establish a better rhythm as the season progresses. Only time will tell if this is a genuinely declining QB.

The good news is that if we can pull off 5-1 against our division, which is definitely possible, we still have games against the Vikings and the Titans, two games that are very winnable. That would give us 8 wins, so if we can squeeze out a win or two against the Broncos, the Chargers, the Steelers, or the Chiefs, we're looking at a winning record. A winning record might be all we need to win the division.

The Patriots still have the 3 toughest NFC North games, while we already played them. We have to play better football, but it's nice to know the Pats schedule is only going to get harder later in the season, while ours will only get easier later in the season. There's still a real chance we can get hot late against some lesser teams and win the division I think, and we probably wouldn't go far in the playoffs but at least we'd have a home playoff game.

Axel3419, Brook! and NYJalltheway like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Looks like all you idiots who declared Geno Smith the worst QB in the NFL should have waited until all week 4 games play out.

Turns out he ain't even the worst QB in the AFCE.

Oh and just like that.......EJ Manual gets the hook.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The Patriots look weak,they got destroyed tonight on MNF something you haven't seen in Belicheat era.41-15 by KC,if there was ever a chance to sweep them nows the time.The division may be our only hope and if we can win our AFC east games,this team should be able to destroy inferior competiton

10. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If it spirals out of control Rex will lose the team if he doesn't put Vick in,unless we beat the Chargers its gonna get ugly fast

11. MaximusD163

Our best hope is to beat up on teams with weak or young QB's like EJ Manuel, Ryan Tannehill, Teddy Bridgewater, whoever starts for the Titans, and apparently Brady now too.

Alex Smith is decent but nothing like Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler, so we should be able to rattle him.

Manning and Rivers are the biggest challenge we have left, and those are going to be very tough games.

Roethlisberger is still good but the Steelers are still beatable. A lot of their vets are slow and injured, so we could definitely pull out a win against them at MetLife if a few things go our way.

I know it's tough to come backed from 1-3, but the QB's we face for the rest of the season are:

Phillip Rivers
    Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Kyle Orton
    Alex Smith
    Ben Roethlisberger
    BYE
    Kyle Orton
    Ryan Tannehill
    Teddy Bridgewater
    Jake Locker
    Tom Brady
    Ryan Tannehill

Our defense can really screw with most of those guys.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Winning AFC East matters, right?

Because Jets can get raped in the first round of the playoff at 6-10 record then go home?

And if you think Jets can defeat Chiefs, you are delusional.

It does not matter how much this defense can go toe to toe with most of the QBs. When Geno gives the ball - and points - on a silver platter, defense can do only so much.

Jay Bizniss, BleedGreen89 and TNJet like this.
  13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Alex Smith can be rattled, but have you seen that team? They had 10 pro bowlers last year.

Their running backs are insane, their receivers seem to have found their footing, they have one of the best pass rushing duos in the NFL, and their defense is very good, hence they destroyed Tom Brady. You can rattle Smith all you want but can our line hold off their pass rush? Can we stop their run and screen game?

That's gonna be tough.

14. MaximusD163

I don't believe they would consider firing Rex early in the season, so even if we lose the next two, and are sitting at 1-5, I think Rex will have a shot to lead the team all year. I have to think if any coach can rally back from a 1-5 start, it's Rex. If we can manage to go 8-2 somehow over those last 10 games, we might actually have a shot at the division.

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

16. MaximusD163

It will be tough, but there's always the chance of injury, plus we should have Dee back by then as well. Maybe more injuries will hurt us too, only time will tell.

17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I think were really good at stopping plays that come out of the backfield (runs, screens, etc) which is their bread & butter. I think the game we play the cheifs will be a very good & close one, cant even really call a winner bc our offense vs their defense is ehhhhhhhhhhhh

18. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

The Chiefs looked like absolute shit first two weeks and then played the Dolphins and Patriots. They get SF and SD, both on the road next two games

19. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Odds are, we can still pull a few wins out of our ass against the better teams. I'd have liked our chances against the Chargers much better at home since they're a horrible road team, but I don't think they're unbeatable at home. Denver has Peyton but their defense hasn't been very good so far. New England looks horrible

JetLifeLo likes this.
  20. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

Watch Idzik and the Jets ironically pull a Seahawks from 2010. Go 7-9 and win the division. I have watched most of the AFC East games this year, and it is clearly the worst division in football.

-The Jets are the best by far in terms of offensive yardage and defense, but just can't get out of their own way, not to mention just can't catch a break this year. There have been atleast 4 terrible penalty calls on us, a scoop and score negated because of idiot refs, and a few fumbles that we would have gotten if called on the field that way but the video evidence was inconclusive. Even with all the mistakes the team has made, if a few calls in each game go the other way we are 3-1 right now.

- The Pats are a 7 win team tops. Front 7 is the worst in the league. Receivers are below average at best. Gronk is a shell of himself. O-Line is a mess. Brady has the worst completion percentage in the league on passes over 5 yards, or in other words, passes. They barely beat the Raiders, and not Jets style where we shot ourselves in the foot, they legit almost lost. They beat the Vikes but they had 5 turnovers. The Raiders would beat the Seahawks if the Seahawks had 5 turnovers. They then got smashed by a solid Chiefs team, and a mediocre at best Dolphin team.

- The Bills are going with Kyle Orton who has 190 pass attempts in the last 4 years. Good luck with that. They are idiots. Manuel hasn't been amazing or anything but benching your QB after having a rough day against a top 5 defense is what shitty ass teams and coaching staffs do. I said the same thing about Geno. In the 1st three games he looked solid, but made a few mistakes. He faced the #1 defense in the NFL (Lions) and had a rough day. So did Aaron Rodgers week 3. That doesn't warrant benching. The Bills now have to face Detroit, New England, Minnesota, and The Jets. With Orton in at best they go 1-3, 0-4 wouldn't shock me one bit.

- The Dolphins against good rush defenses have been horrible. We saw this in the Chiefs and Bills. Tannehill just isn't good enough to lead them down the field, even with decent receivers. Against teams with bad front 7's they can win. We also saw this when they faced the Bills and Raiders. The real question though is what happens once they face some good offenses like the Jets have.

It's finally the AFC East's turn to be trash. It will change in a couple of years like it does whenever other divisions suck but that's the reality of it right now.