QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Sep 23, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think you need to have some foundation in place to develop a QB. You can't just have crap all around him and hope things work out. There must always be a plan in place when drafting a QB high in the first round.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

But it's backward thinking to build the offense from the skill position inward to the QB.

Get that QB. THEN build around him. THEN surround him with pieces. Make the effort to build around him--don't take pieces away (Sanchez) or disregard it after you take a QB (Geno).

Everything starts with the QB--if he doesn't have the skillset or the football IQ, surrounding him with talent just masks the issue.

You can sit a QB for a year or even 2 to gather the talent.

But you can't build an offensive machine then expect to get a QB to pull it all together.

Minny has a lot of talent around Teddy (if AP comes back) so he's in a great spot. But Jax and Oakland have nothing around those two guys, and if they make an effort to surround them with talent--they are going to be perennial contenders.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

Throwing to Greg Salas an Az Hakim is a joke. I think Kapernick would stink in this offense..

4. JStokes

Said differently--the year to draft offensive talent was 2013 considering the talent at the QB position that was going to be available in 2014.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

At the same time, you can't have practice guys out there trying to catch passes and running crappy routes. You need players that can be reliable and make a catch. At least to instill some confidence in the QB. Now let's say you have that QB you want out and he's not turning the ball over constantly, then look to put the offensive over the top with a blue chip prospects that can win big time if you so choose to.

Jacksonville has some talent at wide receiver and at TE. They have Cecil Shorts, Allen Robinson, Marquise Lee, and Allen Hurns who looks to be a surprise. They also have Mercedes Lewis as well. That offense has potential and with Bortles they put the QB in the right position to succeed.

I'm not asking for an offensive machine, but I would like some reliable targets to help out when needed.

This is what I wanted when Idzik was hired. We can do this NOW with 2015, then wait until 2016 to get the QB.

I mean if Mariotta is available for the Jets, you have to take him as well. I don't know if Mariotta is the type to make those around him better like a Luck or Wilson.

6. 101GangGreen101

We missed out on some good offensive players in 2013 all because Idzik wanted to draft an often injured CB and Geno Smith.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. JStokes

We allowed an IMMENSE opportunity to escape us because we already took a guy in 2013 out of a weak class.

Hurts every time I think about it.

SMH.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Not sold on Kapernick, league is catching up with him. He's like every other mobile qb. Bob Griffin, Kapernick, Cam newton, Geno, Ej manuel. These guys will have zero staying power. Rodgers, Flacco, Dalton, Wilson, Luck. Pocket passers last.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Chadchrebet

Guy went 11-2 and threw for 4200 yards (as a RS soph)! You have high standards!

10. JStokes

And as bad as Cousins was last week--he'll be starting for the Redskins for years after RG3 is out of the league.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Chadchrebet

I would trade a first round pick to have Cousins right now.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

No way in hell.

13. Chadchrebet

What you can sit here and tell me you'd rather have Dee Milliner, Calvin Pryor? Hell, Kirk Cousins is worth more than Sheldon Richardson. Nobody ever built a team around one defensive lineman. Not saying that Kirk Cousins is the second coming, buts he is considerably better than Geno smith, and a good QB masks a lot of problems.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

Nah, I wouldn't waste a first rounder on an un-proven QB. He's not going to make anyone better on this roster and more than likely will struggle just like Geno Smith. With Garcon, Jackson he still threw 4 interceptions.

If anything the RG3 story isn't over in Washington just yet.

Nobody ever built a team under 1 defensive lineman? We have 3 prime time lineman in Wilk, Richardson and Snacks.

15. Chadchrebet

Those three are good players, but lets see them do it for a couple years before we call them "prime time".

I disagree with your assertion that Cousins is unproven, in his short body of work he has better stats than Geno Smith, and you can't tell me that there are not GMs out there that would trade a 2nd rounder for him right now. Maybe a 1 as I suggested is a bit high, but my philosophy on how to build a team is different than yours.

At best, if we were to dump geno we could get a 7th. Hell we got a 6th for Sanchez because he has experience in the playoffs.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Do you enjoy 8 and 8 seasons and medicore QB play?

Yes, Vick is better than Geno, but he still isn't good enough to lead this team, imo, to the playoffs. I don't mind being lousy for one year , to get a superstar QB.

17. 101GangGreen101

Saying someone is a better QB then Geno Smith isn't really proving anything to be honest. Notice how no one in the league threw a first rounder at Cousins when there were rumors about his trade. Jay Gruden is also a pretty good offensive coach.

Cousins isn't a bonafide starter yet in this league and hasn't proved anything as far as I am concerned.

18. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

If we keep this up, Maroita will be in green next season.

19. Chadchrebet

You don't know if anyone gave them a one so thats not fair. On the contrary I could say that the redskins wouldnt let him go for only a 1

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Cousins might work on the Jets...

NYJetsO12 likes this.