Why do we feel the need to blame ANYONE right now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Sep 26, 2014.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It’s Rex, it’s Marty, it’s Idzik, it’s Geno, it’s the receivers, it’s the secondary, it’s everyone!

Did you ever think that maybe it’s actually… no one?

We’ve lost two certainly winnable heartbreakers in a row by a combined 15 points with chances to tie the game in the waning minutes of regulation. For most of the game, we were the better team. It’s not shocking that frustrations are boiling over… hell I’d be lying if I said I just took the past two games in stride and moved on with my day to day life. It sucks, but it doesn’t suck enough to lose track of reality.

A big part of the problem is understanding the reality… something way too many people are guilty of here, on the radio, in the media, in general. I hate that we lost the past two games, but I’m not calling for anyone’s head. Here’s why you shouldn’t either:

The reality is that we are a rebuilding team. And if you disagree with that notion, explain to me how a team totally guts its defense, drafts a new QB and starts him and then waits til year 2 to give him a legitimate WR and a pass-catching tight end (who is a rookie). Some may say “well Rex is coaching for his job so we must be trying to compete” but I’m not really into declaring something a fact when all we can do is speculate.

We are in the 2nd year of a rebuild. Are teams even supposed to look competitive in the 2nd year of a rebuild, let alone come a few terrible whistles away from being 3-0, and in the process beating two far-superior teams? On top of a solid start by the numbers in year 2… year 1 brought us the defensive rookie of the year and an 8-8 record. It also gave us the intangible confidence moving forward.

Stop trying to place blame on something that doesn’t need a scapegoat. Our young QB just played his 19th game EVER. He’s had a legitimate WR for a game and a half total. The defense is young and only getting better, including a secondary which was supposed to be the worst in the history of the league if you ask some. We have a first rounder in on every down, a second rounder getting better as the weeks go on, a 4th rounder at a position of need that we won’t even see til next year. We have pieces waiting in the wings to try out.

And guess what? That’s ok. ALL of this is ok. Because that’s what rebuilding means. This is where we are supposed to be. If you don't want to accept that reality, then your complaints are going to keep falling on deaf ears. Or they'll just be made fun of.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If we lose this weekend, I'm blaming the loss on you.

Jetfan76, Royal Tee, Bellows1 and 7 others like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What's sad is this would be right on par with blaming the GM.

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

The reality is that Geno Smith is not a franchise QB and we're just gonna be sucky to mediocre until the FO realizes it

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Welcome to 2014.

_

6. NewYorkEveryThing

It's Geno and decker not playin.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

8. NewYorkEveryThing

RR is gonna always blame the QB situation. He's gonna get fired cuz Idzik is not gonna take the blame and coach a team thàt has a offense already in place .

9. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

I'm right on with the OP, Last week was a tough loss because of the tough early stretch I thought going into this season that would be one of the "winnable" games. But IMO we're a little bit better off right now then I thought we would be despite the 1-2 start.

The Milliner injury was way worse then anticipated by the CS ( and then exacerbated by rushing him back ). Preseason thinking was if Milliner didn't come back week 1 we were toast, Well we're not in week 3 and Dee has played a very small number of snaps but I feel way better about our secondary then I did previous. Walls has turned into a serviceable #2 and AA's solid tackling ( aside from the Jordy Nelson touchdown ) have really allowed Rex to play a more aggressive scheme.. Where #24/#31 could be trusted to not allow the completion,. He's trusting Walls and AA to make the tackle and keep the play in front of them. For whatever reason, the current #24 ( ?? WTF ) was in for the Bears TD and totally blew the pass off between him and Landry, The announcers stated this was the first play he had played all season ( Not sure if thats a true statement ). Without that blown assignment the game takes a different look. There are a couple tough assignments coming up for sure but I don't feel as worried as I did previously that we were just going to get torched up and down the field.

If these guys can continue to grow together and we can catch a f'ing break with some turnovers we should be in really great shape to finish out the season with a string of wins,.. Which with how the division is playing out so far that might just be enough to get us into the party. Patriots have not looked like they're perennial dominant selves and no one is really stringing together a lot of wins.

My Biggest concern right now is WR, When Decker leaves the game the whole offense takes a step down. Kerley legit seems like the only NFL WR we have on the team sometimes. Nelson showed in this last game just how ill suited he is for playing in a WR#2 role. As the "Big Body" target on the team a lot of the RZ inefficiencies come down to him just not being that good. Geno doesn't have a big guy that he trusts to give a shot 1o1. That's why we see QB draws up the middle on 3rd and goal from the 5. If that final play to Kerley goes to a 6'3 or 6'4 WR that doesn't have to jump 3' to get the ball, That's probably a TD. We really need Cumberland or Amaro to become bigger parts of our RZ Offense.

Is Hill still floating around on someones PS? ( Just kidding, kind of - I'd cut Nelson for him. but you all know that ).

10. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

U think Idzik has done a good job so far?

Jets69 likes this.
  11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I liked your post at first, but then you said we are rebuilding.
    Unlike.
    Edit: Since according to you I have to explain why, fine...

A rebuild is when you blow up the whole roster, get all new coaches, come off a 4-12 type season, and let good, older players go. Does that explain us? No. In some ways sure, but no.

We have had roster turnover, but every team does. No team looks close to the same if you rewind 3 or 4 years. Rex is not new, nor is DT. It's just Idzik, and Marty. Our worst season dating back to 2008 is 6-10. We didn't let any good, aging players go. We let past their prime players go.

I like to think of it as us having a little team overhaul.

#11 NYJalltheway, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  12. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

In a lot of Jets fans minds we are the best team in the league while also being the worst. We suck but should win every game. Its always either us beating ourselves or the refs screwing us.

Fact is we lost to 2 teams that are flat out better than us. Could we have won both games? Yes. But we didnt because we werent as good. The same reasons why we won Week 1 against Oakland is why we lost in Week's 2 and 3.

Simple really.

rohirrim665, jerseyjay14 and Noam like this.
  13. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

So we are not going to win another game until we play buffalo

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

+100

Lots of pressure on Geno. Pressure to make plays with shitty receivers. Pressure to not make mistakes.

15. NYJalltheway

You're correct to a degree, but the refs did cost us a tie game week 2. That is not debatable. Then last week they cost us another undebatable touchdown. I know that would have changed how they came out playing in the 2nd half, but we still win with yet another fg at the end there. I'm not going to sit here shouting foul for not being 3-0, but there is no doubt we should be 2-1.

papapump likes this.
  16. irishwhip03

Its possible.

To beat better teams you have to play better than them. Not equal and def not worse. Jets played about equal to the Packers and worse than the Bears. That's mainly why they lost both games.

17. irishwhip03

They did for sure. But I said this in a previous post and I'll say it again. If you have to rely on the refs to get the calls right then its a problem. Would it help if the refs actually did their job correctly and got the call right? For sure it would. But fact is we just cant rely on those things these days.

Teams have to beat their opponents and the refs.

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Being 1-6 with an improved team over last year is a real possibility.

mgjetman22 likes this.
  19. NYJalltheway

No not really. It seems like only the jets have to beat 2 teams every Sunday. Do you not watch other games?

I absolutely hate the stupid argument that you can't rely on good reffing to win, Um HELLO!? They are there to enforce rules, and make sure it's a FAIR game. When they literally take 2 touchdowns away from us because both games THEY fucked it up, sorry, but that's a great reason to be upset, and say we got screwed. We got hosed Tommy.

20. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

<< fixed that.

While Decker and Kerley being our only legitimate threats doesn't help, Geno certainly isn't helping himself out either. There are still a number of rookie mistakes that he's making, First and Foremost of those is throwing the ball away.

Geno has gotten a lot better with his footwork for the most part. For the life of me, However, I cannot understand why / what is going through his head when he runs for a 1 yard loss out of bounds instead of throwing it away 10 seconds earlier. Sure there's a small chance that he can turn the corner at the last second and gain a yard or 2 but in the long run I really don't think it's worth it. WCO is based on timing routes and getting the ball into the hands of the WRs. If it's not there throw it away and reset.

Drawing the play out that long has such a marginal return and I think it wears down our depleted skill position players. I think Geno's legs get tired from doing to much early in the game and it leads to him holding onto the ball and taking a lot of sacks later in the game. I would much rather him throw it away for the first 3 quarters and then safe it for a late game burst or 2 when we really need a first down from him. Sprinting to the sideline for -1 yard literally helps no one. Just throw it away.

As much as people say CJ is done for, we have 3 really solid backs. We have been utilizing them in every fashion possible and then going for the soft spots in the defense wehn it opens up. Short down and distance and get a first down to move the chains. What's killing us is clipping away at 3-5 YPC but then losing a yard on a throwaway or 15 yards on a sack because he was holding the ball to long.

TL;DR: Throwing it away > running for -1 yards to the sideline