QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

The only QB that we could've realistically grabbed last year that would be an upgrade on Geno is maybe Teddy, and even then we need to see more from both QBs. I'm fine having Geno a year further along in his development than Teddy given the current makeup of this team.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah that's how I see it too. Bridgewater is no guarantee and he'd be dealing with the same skill position deficits that Geno is at this point. If Geno doesn't work out I'd much rather have a guy to develop from next year's draft than any of the guys that were available this season.

3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I really hated our 4th round. I wanted Ellington and Savage.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Hated the entire draft:(

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What QBs do you exactly like from this upcoming draft? Because I don't see any that exactly make me excited.

74 likes this.
  6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Never cared for Savage from the games I saw of Rutgers and Pittsburgh and think he's ways away from contributing but I did want Ellington and I never cared for Shaq Evans(He left Notre Dame on a meh note) so I would have went somewhere else with the Evans pick. Never liked the Shaq Evans pick but I think Saunders is a good player if used right which we haven't done on offense.

I loved the Dozier pick though. Would not have minded him with one of the first 4th round picks so getting him late in the round is good stuff. Reading up on him moving to the NFL Draft, he had some good qualities.

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I know my high opinion of savage is an unpopular one (I wrote in some detail why I like him in my mock draft thread). I agree with you on everything else.

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

2014 Draft.

2014 Draft.

2014 Draft.

2014 Draft.

2014 Draft.

Fuck.

_

9. JStokes

Teddy, Carr, Garappolo for this year.

Manziel, Mettenberger and McCarron after sitting a year.

Fales and Murray another year out.

Had we not drafted a QB in 2013, maybe we're sitting there for Bortles. But ANY of those other guys would have been fine.

_

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, I think we missed the train. I went back actually and took a look at Carr's game against the Patriots (friend had it on DVR - big Raiders fan). He did a pretty good job for QB with no weapons (ala Geno Smith rite?). He even had the balls to throw at Revis and complete passes on him, 5-6.

Carr's definitely got something going for him early in his career. Looking forward to seeing Bridgewater the next coming weeks.

11. JStokes

Funny thing is, Carr is Geno with a high football IQ. MASSIVE arm, escapability, great size, quicker release and can read defenses.

_

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Stokes... You think all those guys you listed a cpl posts ago are gonna become starters?

13. JStokes

Most of them.

Bortles will be a 15 year starter and may make Jax relevant.

Manziel is and always has been a wildcard. Don't know.

Mettenberger is primed to take over in Tenn. They apparently love him down there. The pocket passer is not dead.

McCarron may have a hard time unseating the red head who can't win playoff games but they seem to have surrounded him with some talent so IDK if it happens there or somewhere else. That guy on the Jets is consistently 10-6 or 9-7 and competitive every year. Chad Pennington with a stronger arm.

Fales and Murray maybe not, but Fales could surprise.

Garappolo looks to be a very cerebral, athletic QB who could be the heir apparent in NE.

Teddy and Carr will be studs.

Hey, I whiffed on Boyd, sue me.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, you fall in love with QB prospects too easy but I can't blame you because the media is pounding crap into our brains 365 days a year. Two, maybe three guys from that draft class will end up being long term starters. I really did love a bunch of them as college QB's. The nfl is a different game man.

I disagree with you about Bortles and Carr but you knew that. I'm not a Manziel believer but maybe he pulls some shit out of his ass. I really like Metty but he's got a lot of things to work on. Fales I like too but idk if he could be more than a solid backup. The one thing I really want you to reconsider is Dalton/McCarron. Dalton is one of the best QB's in the NFL right now. The media hates him though. Look at what he's doing this year, he's been pretty awesome. McCarron is never gonna sniff his red pube filled jock.

Hey maybe I'm wrong and your right tho. It'll be fun to see how it all plays out.

15. JStokes

That's the funny thing. I never fell in love with any QB in 2013. And only Luck in 2012. I'm not a victim of the media.

When the rhetoric started in 2013 about Nassib being possibly a top 10 pick or maybe the number 1 overall I LOLed out loud. Manuel to me was a big stiff, and the back end of that draft was AWFUL. Tyler Bray? Dudes wanted him in the 3rd round. Undrafted. Tyler Wilson didn't even make it out of camp. Glennon is Macguire out of SD from years ago without the steroids (you know his brother juiced him). Barkley was worse than Sanchez. Landry Jones? Zac Dysert? Oooofa. The only true franchise QB and future Hall of Famer was Geno and by some miracle of ineptitude on the part of 31 other teams (and us on 2 occasions) we stole the number 1 playe in that draft at 39.

But for 2014, I was all over these guys WELL before the draft. In fact I was screaming in 2013 to NOT draft a QB because 2014 was stock full of great prospects and that was before Mariota stayed in school and Mettenberger and Murray blew out knees.

I've always loved Teddy and Carr and thought Manziel would be a hoot in NY and they were ALL there when we drafted but we couldn't because we had already locked down that position for 15 years with Geno.

Garappolo looks like an incredibly intelligent player and whilst we disagree on Bortles you will no doubt some day admit the err of your ways :D.

McCarron would make this team, with Rex's defense, a consistent playoff team. Query whether he could get us over the top but he's not throwing pick-6's on screens or red zone INTs (which don't really matter much any, apparently).

_

16. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

You didn't "just whiff" on Boyd. Boyd is simply the only one who sucked so terribly he's already out of the NFL, and as such you can't defend him anymore (especially since he had to go head to head against Geno).

I agree with Mangolden. If two QBs become anything more than first contract starters, I'd be beyond shocked. Garappolo doesn't look to be anything special. Everyone's favorite player is the backup QB. Every NE backup is set to be the next heir or would be a starter on any other team. Cassell. Mallett. Now Garappolo. He didn't really impress me at all.

Also, I don't get your logic. You hate Geno, but if we didn't draft him, we'd be bad enough to draft Bortles? I don't understand.

17. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I understand your love affection for Teddy, Carr, and Bortles, but MCcaron? He wouldn't make us a perennial playoff contender, because number one he lacks the arm strength needed to play in Metlife, and number two he needs damn near perfect protection to succeed. In my opinion, he's the classic case of a great College QB, but awful pro. And the Sugar Bowl game pretty much validated my doubts about, I just don't understand what you see in him. Yes, he suceeded in college with very little turnovers, but he was playing on a stacked OL and team and both of us know that success in College rarely translates to the NFL. His four picks a year, would become twenty a year against NFL pash rushes.

#57 BigSnacks54, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  18. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Had Oakland drafted Garappolo, I doubt there would be this much hype surrounding him.

But since the evil empire drfated him everyone assumes he's great.

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I think Garoppolo will be good. He and Bridgewater by far looked the best in preseason action of the QB's from this draft.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. JStokes

I don't hate Geno but your use of the phrase "logic" and your inability to understand me is funny.

Well done.

_