QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Sep 23, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You only get so many chances at a choice of 5 or 6 really really good college QBs.

This franchise missed an opportunity for fools gold.

_

2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I think we thought Garoppolo would fall to the 3rd. He almost did.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hear you. I'll admit that I'm a late comer to the Mariota bandwagon for the exact same reasons. First off, he has better fundamentals than Geno. That's on top of the disparity in athleticism. I think Geno may have the better arm talent but early in the draft I value good feet, quick release and mechanics more than I do arm strength. So I think his transition to a pro system will be a lot easier than it has been for Geno. I've been way more impressed with him this year than in years past as his o-line has been shit. He's gotten knocked down but never out. He gets back up and make plays. The concern I have with Mariota is the fumbles. There he and Geno are very much alike.

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I don't really want either....

Jameis is going to be a bust. His throwing mechanics and decision making under pressure are poor. and he gets rattled easy. He's really overhyped as a runner, he's pretty slow. I wouldn't be surprised if his draft stock plummets. Not to mention he's been a trainwreck off the field. Idzik probably already scratched him off his board.

Mariota is probably going top 3 but it would be a weird pick for the Jets to make b/c he's basically the same style QB as Geno but with better mechanics. His first read throws are solid. He's got a strong arm, good motion, mobility, but he's got flaws too. He runs the pistol, uses the shotgun almost exclusively so no snaps from under center. In the redzone he likes to run. A lot of these pistol QB's have problems passing in the redzone. He's not that great of a pocket passer, he likes to rollout and make the same running jump throws that Geno does. He can move but he's not near Kaep or Wilson level running. He won't be able to run as well in the NFL, thats gonna hurt his passing game. I haven't watched any of his games this year yet so we'll see, but if we're moving on from Geno I don't want to draft another QB with a lot of the same issues.

Right now the guy I like is Brett Hundley. UCLA is one of the few college teams that still runs a pro style offense so he's a pocket passer. He can read the entire field and he's always pushing the ball downfield. He's not that fast but big and powerful, hard to bring down, strong in the pocket. His deep ball accuracy is good but his short range needs to get better. He's got to clean up some of his footwork. Also he has a rap for holding onto the ball too long. Could go top 5 if he steps up his game or he might drop to 2nd round.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, I like Hackenberg - depending on the QBs that come out next year I would have a close radar on that guy

6. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Mariota is nothing like Geno. Yes he plays in a spread offense, but he's responsible the for the offensive line protection, and audibles at the line of scrimmage.. At WVU Geno would just throw a bubble screen to Tavon or Stedman and they would take it to house but Mariota consistently dis plays his ability to pass the ball in tight windows, even in the sperad offense. But we won't be anywhere near his range unfortunately.

Hundely's mechanics are just inconsistent, and he's inaccurate. I just don't see him as franchise Quaterback, in my opinion, he's bust waiting to happen. I'd compare him to the likes of a poor , mans Cam Newton.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. legler82

I've already posted about the differences between MM and Geno so I won't repeat myself. But w/ regards to the bold, Mariota will be able to just as well as Kaepernick if not better. Also, I'm pretty sure he is faster than both those guys.

Haven't seen Hundley this year but unless he's greatly improved I want no part of him. He definitely had the bust vibe based on what I saw last year.

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be against grabbing a QB, but I dont know if I want to burn a 1st rounder on one. I think this years 1st has to go to the OL. (I think CB will be addressed in FA)

This draft class seems to be pretty good. I dont care about being crazy athletic and being able to throw the ball 90 yards. This team needs a QB with good footwork and decision making. No gun slingers who can take you out of a game.

This team is built to run the ball and play defense. Get a QB that fits that mold. One that can limit the TO's.

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

No way Mariota will be able to run as well as Kaep. Kaep runs a 4.5. MM is more like Manziel speed. First 7 games '13 against weak part of schedule 70.4 yds rushing 1.3 rush TD per game. Final 6 games '13 against tough part of schedule 48.0 yds rushing 0.0 rush TD per game. That second stat line tells me he's not going to be nearly the dynamic runner in the nfl as everyone thinks.

Not pounding my fist on the table for Hundley, just throwing his card in the ring. With all these guys we gotta let the season play out and see how they do before we can pick favorites.

10. legler82

Dunno, they say MM runs a sub 4.5 and it looks it on tape. That's a WR/CB type speed. That aside; if I'm a fan, coach or GM of the NFL team his on, I wouldn't want him running the ball anyway, unless forced to. I already picked mine:) MM is pound the table worthy already in my book. I have to catch a few Hundley games this year to see if he's improved.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

No thank you on Winston. Kid gets opportunity after opportunity at Fla St and keeps messing up off the field. He shouldn't even be playing.

I think we will stick with Geno and go offense heavy in the draft early.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Garoppolo isn't gonna be all that. Decent serviceable QB maybe but very unlikely to be a star. If he had star caliber talent around him on O it would help but the Pats have been QB centric for the last couple of years and arguably since they ditched Randy Moss.

13. JStokes

LOL still trying to defend your assault on the strong 2014 QB class because of your lightly veiled affinity for Geno.

Nice.

_

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

To be fair, I don't think Garoppolo is all that good. Playing well in the preseason is no indicator of regular season success. But we did miss out on 2 other QBs that draft.

15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

And if we have a decent serviceable QB we are a perennial playoff team

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Br4d

Not with the receivers we have right now. If Decker and Kerley were both healthy it might be different but we're in our third year in a row now where the health of the receivers is an issue.

We'll draft a young stud next year early on and then maybe a decent serviceable QB will be enough.

17. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Are you sure Idzik will draft a stud WR next year? I remember everyone here thinking that would be the case in February, March, and April, and we didn't even draft one within the first three rounds. I don't really want to be that "guy", but if Idzik had traded one of our fourth round picks right now we'd have Jordan Matthews or Marquise Lee to go along with Decker, Kerley, and Cumberland

We would at least have two competent wide receivers, to compensate for the Decker injury . As of today it's looking like Shaq Evans was a wasted pick , and Jalen Saunders is a dissapointment. I would have definitely given up one of those guys for Lee or Matthews.

NYJetsO12 and 74 like this.
  18. JStokes

Wow, that is something to aspire to.

That's what you strive for.

A decent serviceable QB.

What was Lombardi's famous quote "if you strive for average maybe you can achieve mediocrity"?

How about once in our lifetime we strive for excellence? For superior? For all-world?

Nah, let's just shoot for decent serviceable.

That's "enough".

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Br4d

Shaq Evans is hurt. There's no way of knowing what his value is at this point.

At 18 the Jets took the best player available given the configurations that they run on offense and defense.

After that trading up was a bad option. Adding one of the WR's would have been good but not having Jace Amaro would have been part of that deal and he has some real potential also.

Next year we'll have Jace Amaro and we'll have Shaq Evans back and hopefully healthy. I'm guessing that's our starting TE and our #3 WR. I'd rather have that than just Lee or Matthews and I really like both of them, Lee in particular.

20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

The only QB I really think we missed out on was Bridgewater. Bortles was gone, and I think he's going to be a stud. He wasnt available.

I think Bridgewater is also going to be damn good, so I think he was the only guy we could have taken. Taking Manziel would have been a huge mistake IMO, and I'm not a huge fan of Carr. Fales or Mettenberger would have been cool, but I'm not going to kill the Jets for not taking them.

Right now, I want a receiver in the first or second. OLine in the first or second. Grab a QB in the third. A fundamentally sound QB who is intelligent. Not a gunslinger or anything like that. I dont care about the read option. A quarterback with good footwork and decision making.

I think the Jets could be superbowl contenders if they could cut back on the turnovers.

NYJetsO12 likes this.