the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The reports to me read like an initial low ball that backfired.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If Idzik wanted him that badly, don't you think he would have tried to make a comparable offer? I thought I read somewhere that even the second offer was more of a "prove now, get paid later" deal than the Giants gave him. Which was basically "we will pay you now for the one good year you've had".

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

So James Jones had more success matched up against Darrelle Revis than he did against our CB's. DRC has been very flaky so far this season, so clearly not worth the big time contract, and it's been well established that Cro was a major pain tot he coaching staff while he was here. He may have matured a bit, but after reading the excerpts from Collision Low Crossers, it's obvious that the coaching staff would not want Cro's attitude and habits to be around for Milliner's development.

If the CB that Idzik "missed" on picking up was Corey Graham, I'm not that pissed.

4. legler82

I have no idea what Idzik would do as I'm not privy to his state of mind and/or his master plan. I can only give you my interpretation of the reports you referenced. If you are indifferent about the player, why even make a second "strengthened" offer? Teams lose players to other teams in FA all the time; it happens. The good teams have contingencies. It just seems odd that we went from DRC to Patterson. The precipitous drop in talent between the 2 could be interpreted as the Jets not really having a contingency.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

1 yr 6 mil indicates to me that Idzik didn't want him here for the long term. He didn't think much of DRC compared to a football player like Decker.

6. BroadwayAaron

Patterson graded out to be more productive than both DRC and Cro when healthy. I think Idzik would have rather taken the chance on Patterson than overpay DRC. And Cro is an aging CB that is on the downswing. In retrospect, it was a bad call. But at the time I couldn't fault him for passing on DRC, who has not been good until last year and has considered retirement at age 28.

Agreed, but it also says to me that Idzik wasn't ready to just spend money on a guy that hasn't proven he's worth what another team paid him.

7. MaximusD163

I just want to know who could have been the contingency plan? The Jets clearly did not want to sign a vet for any more than 1 year, and the big time CB's all were signed to long term contracts. Aqib Talib, DRC, Brent Grimes... Revis got a stupid big contract from the Pats, and even Corey Graham (who I'll give you props for recognizing as a talented) was given a multiyear deal. If the Jets didn't want to lock into a CB for more than a year, they had to basically choose between Cromartie and Patterson. If the Jets were sure they did not want to re-unite with Cro, they had tot take what they could get. It's just unfortunate McDougle ended up with the ACL tear, and Patterson ended up flaking out. Even if Patterson wasn't amazing, the depth would have been important.

8. legler82

Are you serious with the bold? I hope to God Idzik is not using the same "grades" you are. Patterson is not even in the league right now. But I digress, I don't know if it's a bad call or not, but it does, to Blocker's point, kind of dispel the Idzik just wanted a stop gap like Patterson all along narrative. Lastly, I wouldn't call making at least 2 offers to a player who ends up going else where as passing but it all depends on your perspective. For goodness sake, your perspective has Patterson being more productive than DRC and Cro.

9. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

DRC is not the awnser, an average undersized corner isnt going to help our secondary woes,... paying one 8 million for multiple years is even worse.

you want to harp on them not going after revis, munnerland, or talib thats one thing. but DRC isnt worth anywhere near that, and offering what we did is about right

10. MaximusD163

How does it dispel the idea that Idzik wanted a stopgap? Perhaps Idzik preffered to have a better stopgap (well, obviously he did) but the fact that he was only offering one year deals with incentives shows he was looking for exactly that: A stopgap player.

11. legler82

I never said he was the answer. I was just giving my interpretation of the reports. Didn't think the following was needed but I guess it is:

1. LEGLER82 DOES NOT THINK DRC IS THE ANSWER
    2. LEGLER82 DOES NOT LIKE DRC AS A PLAYER
    3. LEGLER82 DOES NOT THINK THE JETS SCREWED UP BY NOT SIGNING DRC
    4. LEGLER82 DOES HOWEVER THINK DRC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PATTERSON

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am sure it makes no sense to buy into this nonsense that Patterson was Idzik's Plan A. More like Plan what the F do I do now?

13. legler82

Do we know if the second "strengthened" offer was not a multi-year deal? I find it hard to believe that the second offer was still a one year deal when the Giants offer was already out there.

DRC: So the G-Men are offering 5 years 35 mil
    Idzik: Well let me sweeten the pot how about 1 year 7 million instead of 6 million like before. Do we have a deal?
    DRC: My math is only at the 3rd grade level but I think the Giants deal might be better. Let me check with my agent and let you know.

14. BroadwayAaron

Someone quote for me, Blocker is a vag, hates people that make him look bad, yadda yadda...

I don't think you'll find a person out there that thinks Patterson was the Plan A. I don't think anyone has said that so again, you're exaggerating because you're desperately trying to make your opinion look better than it actually is.

I don't think Patterson was Plan A, but I do think that there was very little stress put on the real Plan A. I think by now we know that Idzik operates prudently and efficiently. His Plan C (or whatever you think Patterson was) in his mind is not a bad plan considering Plan A involves overpaying people who haven't earned that kind of money.

15. legler82

All this back and forth is really pointless. The fundamental difference here is that your mind you already see Idzik as a competent or better GM and give him the benefit of the doubt as such. I on the other hand have know idea what he is right now. If I had to lean one way I would probably lean the other way. Time will tell what he is as well as possibly change one of our minds.

16. BroadwayAaron

As we should, considering he decided to not greatly overpay a cornerback who by your own admission is not the answer. Spending the kind of scratch the Giants spent on someone that isn't "the answer" would be incompetent.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that mindset also. He wants free agents that can have a huge impact on the team not just marginal I.E. DRC.

Those that don't remember Plan A was Vontae Davis, not Patterson.

18. legler82

So all it took was a swing and miss at DRC to instill the utmost confidence in Idzik?

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I think he's Free Agency management has been terrible, but I disagree about his drafts. I think his drafts have been great.

20. legler82

Not thrilled with either but if I had to choose I much happier with his FA management compared to his draft.

NYJetsO12 likes this.