the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is the obvious answer for anybody who just looks at what the Jets have done over the last two years. If a person can't see this then they're looking at the situation with their eyes shut or possibly just trolling.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

While at times Milliner has seemed to be more comfortable in a zone coverage, he is undoubtedly a capable press man corner. Just watch his college game tape. Nearly all rookie CB's struggle, especially in press man, and this idea that Milliner needs to be used as a zone corner is idiotic. The front office drafted him to play a shut-down man style corner, and have every expectation he will develop into that.

Richardson can't play "anywhere on the front 7." He is an interior lineman, and although he has versatility, he is almost exclusively a 3 or 5 technique. He is not big enough to play the 0 technique consistently, and definitely not a 7 or 9 technique. By the way, front 7 includes all of the linebackers, and while he might play an LB role once every game or two that does not mean he can play those positions.

Of course Pryor is not a single high safety, which if anything indicates he was taken to suit Rex's scheme. Rex uses single high looks occasionally at best, and almost always uses two safeties that are closer to a strong safety mold. If they did draft a guy who was able to play that single high center fielder look consistently, that might be evidence that they are moving towards a 4-3 zone base defense, but in fact Pryor is the opposite.

Barnes and Babin are situational edge rushers, in a 3-4 you call them OLB's and in a 4-3 you call them DE's. If you are a situational edge rusher, it really doesn't matter which scheme is your base D because you do the exact same fucking thing. Not to mention Barnes has technically been an OLB with every team he's played with as a pro. Situational pass rushing OLB in Baltimore. Situational pass rushing OLB in San Diego. Situational pass rushing OLB in New York. On top of this, these are very temporary players and obviously should not be considered when considering Idzik's intended long term scheme.

Calvin Pace is another short term player, but he is a quintessential 3-4 OLB. Trevor Reilly is also a quintessential 3-4 OLB, and Idzik just drafted him this year.

Dexter McDougle did not play cover 2 hardly at all, and was not great at it. He primarily played off-man (as you might be able to tell, the man part of that phrase indicates it's man coverage). Idzik and Rex saw things they liked and picked him to play in their primarily man scheme, intending to develop his press abilities.

So yeah, you're pretty much wrong across the board on this one.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Exactly. The idea is to push for the Super bowl when Mo, Richardson, Coples, Milliner, Pryor, Davis, Geno, etc. Are all in their primes rather than still be paying Corey Graham at age 32 or DRC an absurd amount of money to get burned my #2's at times.

You pay premium if you get premium play. You don't pay premium for average play because the market indicates that players at partial positions are getting overpaid.

BamaDoc likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I really believe that, yes.

For starters, there isn't neon glowing letters on every move he has made. For what you want to see, maybe. You seemed to have had him pretty figured out from the get go though. He was a month on the job and you were making blanket statements (your M.O.) about how he (de)valued the CB position during the Revis saga. Since then he has wasted a high first round pick, a day two pick and signed Patterson... I digress a little bit.

The point is I think you are full of shit regarding him. Simply put there is no way one could say that he has these policies you mention because he has done so much to contradict them. He's signed plenty of post-prime guys. Idzik is more of an enigma than you think but you seem to think you have his blueprint.

I said it was about evaluation because he made that pretty clear himself with his own words. He's the one that said he thought he had the cornerback position shored up with the Dimitri Patterson signing.... he also didn't bring Graham in for a conversation so there's no way it was about a contract... it was about him thinking Patterson was the better player.

Oh - and just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they are trolling.

BeastBeach likes this.
  5. MaximusD163

At the moment I'm pretty high on signing Byron Maxwell this offseason as the big acquisition. I'd like to:

-Sign Byron Maxwell

-Re-sign David Harris to a short term deal

-Re-sign Douzable to a 2 year $3 million deal

-Re-sign Michael Vick to a 1 year deal

-Use a first round RFA tender on Damon Harrison

-Lock up Wilkerson long term.

I'm pretty confident in my desire to do all of these things at this time. I'd consider bringing Kerley back but I just don't know how much of a role he'll have on the team. At a very early glance I'd like to draft something along the lines of:

1st: LT of the future
    2nd: Big play WR
    3rd: MLB of the future
    4th: RB of the future
    5th: Developmental OLB prospect
    Comp 5th: Developmental CB prospect
    6th: Developmental NT prospect
    Comp 6th: Developmental WR prospect
    7th: Punter

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

7. legler82

I was harking to the fact in college against Texas A&M, he was asked by his coaches to play MLB and shadown Johnny Football the WHOLE GAME!!! What other close to 300 lbs tackle you know can do that?

8. MaximusD163

He still did it, it just wasn't a point of emphasis with Nick Saban. He played press man all the time in college.

And as far as Richardson, NCAA is a totally different beast than the NFL. Completely different.

9. legler82

Rex like to go man across the board that includes the SS on the TE, that leaves a single high FS to help the less favorable match up. Don't confuse what Rex has to do to compensate for what he has with what he likes to do. Even with bottom tier CBs he can't help himself from calling the occasional zero coverage.

10. MaximusD163

... You've lost me, I don't even know what point you're trying to make. He uses Allen (SS) to man cover TE's when he's available, and technically Pryor might be "higher" in the alignment but that doesn't mean it's a "single high safety" look; he still mostly plays in the box.

11. legler82

We actually agree here. In my book "situational pass rushers" are DEs regardless of what position they are listed on the roster as they can not fulfill all the responsibilities of a true OLB. Pace was a Tanny left-over so I don't classify him as a player brought in by Idzik even if he was resigned. I said before I'm not including guys like Reilly that have no legitimate shot at seeing the field. That' besides the fact we have no idea if Reilly can make the transition from college DE to OLB. At this point we'd be lucky if he's able to develop into a "situational pass rushers".

12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I like it, but we'd still be throwing out some crap guards next season

13. MaximusD163

Reilly was a 3-4 OLB in college dude. He is the direct backup to Calvin Pace, and has the same Strong Side OLB role as Pace when he is on the field.

14. MaximusD163

If we draft a first round tackle, we'll still have Brick at LT for at least a season. The draftee would move to RT, and Breno would slide into RG. We would have to field one halfway decent guard out of Winters, Aboushi, and Dozier.

15. legler82

Cover 1

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I understand why you think the stop gap argument is compelling, but you can't mean to suggest it proceeds in a vacuum. No matter what the thinking on that, you still have to include your assessment of personnel and talent. And on that measure Nagle is right that the decision to pick Patterson without even having a discussion with Graham about a contract can't be understood as proceeding purely on the stop gap consideration.

Unless Idzik thought Patterson would be an effective player as a stop gap, even that analysis means nothing. Last I checked Patterson is sitting home getting soft, like Captain Willard in Apocalypse Now in that Saigon dump.

Plus I don't see what could have been the Graham signing as putting some roadblock in the development of the team. What nonsense. It would not have been that expensive.

Meanwhile it would have gone a long way to filling the Grand Canyon hole on this roster right now.

You realize Brad is really agreeeing with you because he does not think Cb is an important position, don't you? He is on record as okay with the Vick signing, not that he was wrong about that. But he just doesn't think the Jes should spend significant resources at the Cb position, whatever the impact on the cap or roll over or anything else.

17. legler82

If you say so. Quite a few draft sites list him as a DE. Never seen the dude play other than preseason where he was getting man-handled. If you think he has a legitimate shot at being Pace's replacement, then go with it. I'll say it for a 3rd time, I did not include any late or undrafted picks as their chances of seeing the field are slim to none. To expect anything from Reilly would mean one would also have expect something from the guys drafted befor him like Tajh Boyd for example. That's a slippery slope I don't think any fans of Idzik would like to go down.

18. MaximusD163

Reilly was a 3-4 OLB for sure. Sites may list him as a DE because most NFL teams run a 4-3, so fans looking at the site would know to to expect him to play DE on their team. Late round picks may be long shots to produce, but GM's have a plan and reason for picking them, it's not just random selection. Idzik even had a plan for Boyd, but they understand that the plan is less likely to work for late round picks. Remember, Reilly was a productive coleege player, and the main reason he was drafted so late was because he's a bit older.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'd like this a lot.
    i was hoping Martin, the Notre Dame lineman, would have fallen to us this year. Also thought signing a FA CB was most important need, so I'd be onboard with addressing those 2 needs first next offseason.

what do you think Maxwell will pull in?
    the CB market is as high as ever, and i still don't understand how/why we deferred on signing a good vet CB when the FA pool was at its deepest.

20. legler82

Off man can often times appear as zone when watching a regular broadcast and not all 22. That said frm what I've seen he looks like a NFL starter in a Cover 2 scheme and a nickel in predominantly man scheme. His scouting report reads the same way as well.

Says who?

Sorry for the piece meal responses but a brother has to work!