the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If there's anything I've learned from you, it's that sometimes staying quieter makes you look a lot less dumb. Take a hint.

2. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

lol...take ur own advice...now; don't respond...just go sit in the corner...QUIETLY. C me after week #9. ty.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

It's too early to tell. But you're right.

The goal is to win a championship his quick fix method was a way to get to a championship quickly. We didn't win a championship and with that old roster we knew we had a short window before those vets were no longer effective. So therefore it didn't work. Were we successful during that timespan? Yes. We were on our way to a division title before Favre got hurt. We made back to back AFC Championship game appearances. Then we had a shot at another playoff appearance sitting at 8-5.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If you're gonna keep posting garbage, at least post it in English.

All I need to know about you is someone took the time (wasted their time) in responding to you with some very well thought out points and you're response is "c me in wek 9 yo 4 rel". Not even a semblance of a retort.

74 likes this.
  5. The 1985er

After the abortion of that 2012 season someone had to take the fall. Rex up to that point never had a losing season and he still had cache with the 2 AFC title game appearances. So he caught a break. Tanny took the blame for that mess of a season. When things go sour like that heads usually roll and Tanny was the easy target.

The Sanchez contract extension was a gamble that backfired. That was what did him in. More than anything else.

"Dolphins announced Friday that Tannenbaum is joining the team as a consultant “on a variety of projects involving innovation, analytics and sports science.” What exactly that entails remains to be seen, but Tannenbaum’s move is one of several moves Miami made in what General Manager Dennis Hickey called an effort to boost the team’s analytics and sports science departments."

6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

How does one sad person have 2,121 posts worth of time to troll a football team's message board? That's one thing I can't comprehend. So does anybody want to start a pool on this guys MO? I for one have my money on:

Sits at computer and uses forehead to type.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

My point is 1 or 2 bounces our way in 09 0r 10 and we would be a singing a different tune. Knowing that I can't say that the "quick fix" method does not work. There are too many elements out of your control in football. A missed call, weird bounce and/or injury can cost you a game.

8. The 1985er

We didn't win a championship. The team was assembled with the idea of winning a championship within a short time period. We had success. But the goal was never accomplished so it didn't work.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

After sifting thru 8 pages of this thread I have come to the conclusion that the title should be more appropriately changed to reflect it's content.
    If I may be so bold to conceptually retitle this as " The #1 problem with the Jets...myopic assessment by some Jet fans"

Fortunately some of you have realistically pointed out the current state of the Jets in response to this madness. I was beginning to loose faith on my fellow Jet fans. In a nut shell, in two years we have significantly improved the quality of our starters thru the draft, with youth , depth and speed and cap room to maneuver. Idzik was left with nothing but a big personnel and cap mess and its navigating smartly to improve it. Yes, we are still a handful of players away from elite, but seem to me we are moving rapidly in that direction. Perhaps a WR, OLB and CB away thru the draft and or free agency and more help at the OL. But all in all we are looking far more like a competitive team than I can remember.

We can sit around and argue about draft picks or trades all day long, but to ramble on about the value of Decker, Mo, Richardson, Pryor, Amaro and others is insane. These players form a solid and powerful base for our team and would be starters or at least contributors in just about any other team.

IMHO our beef now is relegated to fixable execution problems (time out, interception, lack of self control) and a couple of weak link positions, (CB and OL) but with those issues non-withstanding we were in the game to the last moment against a top notch opponent in a very difficult environment .

Mercifully and hopefully the days of horrible offensive and defensive collapses, the pathetic circus of Tebo, Favre, senseless trades,mortgaging the future and loosing valuable draft picks, are long gone.

We can now suffer through a competitive game week in and week out no better and no worse than most all the other teams and their fan base, with good days and bad days. We have a young team with creative coaching on both sides of the ball that its still jelling. Mistakes are been made but progress is evident and on any given Sunday or Monday we can play and win against the best of them. For now, I'm happy with that situation.

Monday will tell us plenty as to how resilient this young team is.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

My problem with all the pro-Idzik people running Tanny down is they focus on the overall strategy rather than the individual mistakes he made. In the end it was the way he handled specific situations that led to his downfall, not his overall strategy.

Sure you can say in hindsight his strategy LED to his making those mistakes. But that's saying nothing more than no matter what the strategy, poor execution can undermine it.

Take the way Tanny would trade up, specifically the Sanchez pick. I totally believe that was one of the worst moves, most damaging moves, this franchise has made in the last ten years. But it was so in large part because there were reasons to question Sanchez as deserving of such a high pick and huge investment. If Sanchez had turned out to play up to his draft status, and to deserve that contract extension Tanny gave him, Tanny would likely still be the GM.

Since then Idzik takes the opposite approach, stockpiling lower round picks. His fans say that is the way to build a Super Bowl team. But at least so far we see lower round picks from last year's draft who can't supplant another of his picks, Winters (meaning Aboushi in particular). On the other hand Allen is a low round pick who provides excellent value. but can we really say Tanny would not have picked him? Hard to say. Meanwhile most of the other low round picks have not done much.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Pro Idzik people? What happened to "FO Homers"? Big Bugaboo going soft on us?

12. legler82

We can't since Tanny drafted Allen, assuming, of course, we are talking about Antonio.

13. The 1985er

Idzik's strategy if he hits on most of his picks is that we get a longer window. Tanny's strategy gave us a short window.

14. Big Blocker

I stand corrected, but you get the point.

15. Big Blocker

That conclusion is often thrown around alot around here. But let's be clear what exactly we are talking about. Is it more emphasis on FA? Because clearly Idzik is not a virgin when it comes to FA.

Or is it trading up in the draft? So, Idzik would not have traded up for Revis?

Of is it stockpiling lower round picks. How does that make for a longer window?

16. The 1985er

If Idzik hits on his picks (the jury is still out on them) then we have a longer window due to the age of the players. By stockpiling picks you give yourself a better chance to hit on a pick. Stockpiling picks are a way to add depth to the roster. Free agency is a way to compliment the draft. To add stop gaps to fill a hole while you develop players to takeover in a year or two.

Maybe Idzik will move up if he feels it's necessary.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  17. legler82

So far Idzik's mid to late round picks have been a little suspect. We shall see how they pan out ultimately.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The bottom of the Jets roster was such shit, I think it was a good idea to use all 12 picks the way they did.

19. Big Blocker

It still depends on execution. Stockpiling lower picks might do nothing more than add mediocre players to your team.

I acknowledge the implied principle here that adding depth, all other things being equal, can make your window somewhat longer, although I don't think the connection is all that strong and direct. But yes it can be longer if for no other reason than that starters get hurt, and quality depth can mean you will not have your season derailed by the same number of key injuries taht would decimate a team with little depth.

But it still depends on execution in hitting on those lower round picks, and then developing them into decent players.

20. Big Blocker

So far it is too early to tell if that approach will pay off.