Mornhingweg accepts blame for timeout fiasco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 74, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Lol, you are not kidding. At least 3/4 of his posts I've ever read contain something from draft years.

2. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

The timeout was NOT the game sorry

It was a sidebar and sideshow that will never be forgotten

But the real loss was way more, way dumber than that

A Tie on the road with top 3 QB vs horrible secondary and a few minutes with a great kicker is not exactly a great spot to be in for a win

3. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Only a head coach or a player on the field can call a time out. That is the rule. SR was not on the field. Any call he made should have been ignored by the officials. In football, players and coaches do their best to defeat the other team. They make mistakes. The game is hard. Officials mess up on penalty calls all the time and are evaluated by film. There is no defense for completely getting a rule wrong. With so many officials on the field and many in the booth there is no excuse for this. The integrity of the game, such as it is, has taken a hit.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't say that Rex screwed up here. I said that as a result of what happened, Rex should get in MM's face, but knowing Rex he won't, because he's not a real leader, disciplinarian or in control.

If MM notices something, he should be running up to Rex talking to him if Rex doesn't have a his headset on, not running and gesturing to the referees.

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I'm not inferring that the refs "help" anyone.

They see these guys every week and they know their tendencies.

They see these guys doing this EVERY week. When they see a confused defense during a hurry up offense, they see 3 defenders sprinting off the field and a quick snap, they're going to make the call.

Peyton gets that call all the time. Not because the refs are "helping" him, but because it's a rule he has perfected taking advantage of. Same with Rodgers, Brady, Brees, all those guys.

I can't believe people are complaining about that call.

_

Ralebird likes this.
  6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

There's no silver lining. Green Bay scored zero points in the 4th quarter. This accepted assumption that they would have just had a game winning drive is crap.

Compared to a Geno last year he's playing a lot better. Compared to a top ten NFL QB he looks terrible. There's 32 starting QB's in this league, 18 of them I would take over Geno in a heart beat. Not good when your QB is in the bottom half of the talent pool.

7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The game is hard. Green Bay is good at home. None of this has anything to do with the timeout call. So if you want to criticize Geno or the coaches fine. Fans always think they have the answers. As far as the time out goes it is clearly an error by rule. It should be addressed by the Jets and the NFL. There is no excuse for messing this up. The rule is very clear.

74 likes this.
  8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

We proved we could hang with the big boys for 60 minutes today. That's all you need to do in the NFL these days and a few games will break our way. Despite some awful clock and player management today, Rex gets a hell of a lot out of "marginal talent" every week so someone is doing something right. The loss hurts because we had it. Blame whoever you want, but it's one loss and the Bills are in first place. Oddly enough, the season doesn't end after two games the last I checked. We have a playoff caliber team on our hands as the young guys grow and learn on the fly.

9. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

I think that the players and coaches should definitely know the rules. MM and Richardson should have known that they weren't allowed to call for that timeout.

The ref still fucked it up. He made an illegal call. There is no reason to cut him slack for it by saying it was a tough thing to do to ignore pleas by an assistant coach and player. He's supposed to do his job.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I have a way to make it easier on the refs. How about turning around and confirming who is calling the TO before blowing your whistle. What if one of the waterboys yelled timeout behind the ref would you still be so forgiving?

74 likes this.
  11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

None of this matters. The snap was off before the ref called the TO. The refs erased a TD because they're crooked scumbags.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

They may be inept fuckups but to be "crooked scumbags" you need to provide more evidence.

13. Darrelle24Revis

Darrelle24Revis Active Member

The refs are easily some scumbags for the simple fact that Rex pulled them aside and told them that he NEVER called a timeout! For them to review that play and still take the TD away is complete nonsense. You CLEARLY don't see Rex call for a timeout. I don't care if the whole sideline was screaming for a timeout. REX is the ONLY eligible guy on the sideline to do so. It's the Refs job to MAKE sure of that.

The 1985er and 74 like this.
  14. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I just find it crazy how all this shit almost ALWAYS seems to happen to us. I mean, getting a TD taking away because of a timeout that our head coach DIDN'T even call (and play happening as if no timeout was called). Can't make this shit up..

The TD should have stayed. Complete and utter f*** up on the refs part.

15. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

This is it in a nutshell.

We often say we were robbed, and usually its wishful thinking, but this time...

16. gustoonarmy

THEY took away a TD legitimate TD from bus. I'm embarrassed for you

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

And take there eyes off the field? The refs probably fucked up here and they will continue to do so in some way shape or form every week. the jets need to take care of there own business and this shit won't matter. They didn't and it did. if at least two jets on the sideline aren't yelling timeout to the refs we don't give them the opportunity to fuck up but we did.

so blame the refs for the lossand act like the jets didn't completely implode if it makes you feel better.

18. gustoonarmy

One way to HELP stop these BS calls happening again is for the HC to toss his red flag on TOs. The side judge has his back to the sideline and shouldn't turn, a visual aid with all the stadium noise this has to happen

19. Section316

Section316 Active Member

I don't have a problem with that call, but I wish it wasn't enforced in this manner. There are simply right now, too many flags thrown that serve no purpose but for the referee to interject themselves into the game when there is no need to. I compare it to how the NHL handles too many men on the ice, and the NHL handles it far better. They don't penalize you for having too many men on the ice so long as the extras are in the process of changing while you don't have possession. They will call the penalty when it affects play, such as when the team with too many men gains possession of the puck, or if the team without the puck is actually trying to play defense with six skaters (almost never happens) but they do not call the penalty if there just happens to be 6 or 7 skaters on the ice for 3 seconds in the process of an innocent line change.

I don't see why a "common sense" application of the rule can't be applied to the NFL. If you actually have 12 men in a formation (I've seen this happen) call it. If a player isn't making an effort to get off the field before a snap, call it. But having half a foot on the green as the ball is being snapped is impractical nonsense that fits with the NFL being a flood of flags right now and it has to stop, not just with this rule but every rule. One can't watch a play anymore without holding their breath to see if it's coming back on a flag. That's not what penalties were intended to do.

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

^ agreed.

Gus, lay off the bottle.