Mornhingweg accepts blame for timeout fiasco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 74, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

This was just a complete fuck up of a game. To our INT being wiped out because the guy was a half step in the field, the idiotic timeout call, the amount of holding the Packers got away with (which led to Wilkerson's ejection cause he was pissed), to the non-penalty call on Geno that led to his 1st INT and the game turning the Packers way, etc.

I wasn't impressed with the Packers at all. They were gifted this game, and they only came back thanks to Rodgers. Amazing what an elite QB can do for a team. This isn't me getting on Geno (2nd season and still growing), but I'm starting to think this team will never have a young, elite QB.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The refs screwed us with the bs timeout. But the 12th man on the field call was set up by Rodgers purposefully quick snapping the ball to draw the penalty.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

The refs aren't there to "help" those QBs. The refs make that call when they see it. Unless you're part of the conspiracy crowd about the refs and the NFL purposefully screwing the Jets, they made the right call.

Essentially off the field means ON the field.

Feel free to be emotional about the TO call, I'm more emotional about the Jets blowing that lead.

_

_

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The rule states that a timeout can be called by the headcoach or any player (not a substitute). The ref has MM running towards him signaling TO while Richardson is coming towards him from the sideline appearing to be doing the same. The Jets should not have personnel or players signaling for timeouts if they aren't eligible to do so. I'm sure that's a very difficult situation for the ref and I cannot blame them for accepting the Jets pleas for a TO.

Had one of those people been eligible to call a TO and the ref denied it, and it cost the Jets? Well I"m sure that would have seemed MUCH worse.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I know I never have once said we "lost" because of that call. We definitely were screwed out of the potential of winning, but I've never said we lost because of it.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

1000%.

Smart play by Rodgers but because we're Jet fans the refs should have swallowed the whistle?

_

7. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

If he was on the field that isn't a stupid penalty that's 12 men on the field regardless........we're we flagged for any holding calls? I was listening but couldn't watch

8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

That was pretty bad too. He got hit low. That and the offsides that should've been called a false start. Comes to mind as well.

9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Probably by Wednesday they will own up to it. Almost all NFL games are decided by officials making calls about penalties. This is another matter entirely. Idzik will be on the phone to the NFL office as soon as today's games are over. The league will verify the rule and the NFL will say they are sorry but there is nothing they can do now. The officials will be quietly fined and life will go on. To say that the Jets made this or that mistake and the coaches messed up is just fan talk. This is a clear rule that could have decided the game.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Bottom line is that the responsibility lies on the Jets there. Rex should make sure only people eligible to call a timeout are doing so. He's the leader and should be controlling the show.

11. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Agreed, but it still sucks knowing we cleanly tied the game at that moment and it was taken away from us on the basis of a something going down that isn't recognized because it's NOT in the rule book.

12. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I feel like people say that to make themselves feel better about this game.

I don't care how the Jets were playing post 21-3 score. That was a HORRENDOUS call. Refs screwed the Jets out of tying the game at 31-31, plain and simple.

The 1985er and hornblower like this.
  13. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

Bottom line is only the players & head coach can call a time out. That is the bottom line.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think I've ever read a post from you that didn't have to do with the draft.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Mike Carey said the rulebook states if your arm is contacted as it is in a throwing motion, it doesn't matter where the ball ends up, it's incomplete. The backward/forward pass comes into play when the ball is thrown without the QBs arm getting hit

16. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

Didn't' Rex do the same thing when he was an assistant in Baltimore? I think it was a Monday night game against the Pats. Ravens would have stopped them on downs but a timeout was called giving Brady a second chance. The rest is history.

17. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Tldr- will the timeout be more famous than the butt fumble in our loser lore?

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's a pretty well-known fact that certain teams get all the calls from the referees. Those teams are basically perennial playoff teams. They are smart, disciplined, and don't beat themselves like the Jets do. If the Jets ever get to the point where they play smart, disciplined football, don't beat themselves and learn how to put other teams away, they'll probably start getting the calls too. It's not fair, but it's reality, thus imo it's silly and childish to whine that we got robbed or hosed by the refs. The point is if anything, that bad call should have pissed the Jets off so badly that they played harder, smarter and found a way to still win to stick it to the refs. Rex and CS should know the rules and keep their cool. They should be disciplined and instill discipline in their players. They need to do their jobs better so the players are put in a position to win/given a better chance to win.

19. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I'm less emotional about the Jets blowing the lead, because an 18 point early lead against the 0-1 Packers & Rodgers in their home opener was by no means safe for any team, let alone the Jets with their secondary. And if you thought the Jets were home free at 21-3, then who's being irrational? Was this your first Jets game?

Jets no doubt have a lot of work to do. They have very little room for error The loss is bad, and when you throw in the two officials calls which wiped out a TD and a crucial interception, a fan is going to be emotional over the calls. The 12th man call wasn't holding or off-sides. It wasn't even PI. It's a rare call that just as easily could not have been made. So i'm definitely emotional about that in a one score game.

Let me give you an example. When the Jets got the benefit of the rarely-called pushing penalty on the FG last season, did the Pats bitch about it? You bet they did. Was the Jets'win discredited? absolutely. When the point was made that Rex had pointed the infraction out to the officials earlier in the game, was he given any credit, like you give to Rodgers for his quick snap? Not in my universe. Well, we took that win and we have to accept this loss. I definitely get that. But that doesn't mean we're not right to bitch about it. Or rationalize the loss. I'm not getting your position here.

BTW, you're the one inferring that the officials help superstars like Rodgers or Manning. Not me.

20. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Rex didn't call the time out tonight and neither did Marty
    It was incorrectly granted to a player on the sidelines.