2014 Week 2- New York Jets @ Green Bay Packers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's my point. People look at Rodgers as though he was the guy from 2011. He's not that guy anymore. He's just a great QB and great QB's get beat every week in the NFL. In 2011 he still had a great team around him and they made him into a supernatural QB and he repaid the favor by being a supernatural QB.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Fran Tarkenton and Randall Cunningham are the guys I can think of that maintained into mid 30's and were very mobile. Elway declined but he declined from a high level and his production was still good enough to win Super Bowls late when the Broncos found him a pair of really good receivers and a great running back to take the pressure off. Cunningham started getting smoked by injuries in his early 30's but he had one great season left in him in 1998 at 35.

3. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I think it should go without saying that in order for us to win, we need Smith play a very good, if not great, game without any of the turnovers and other types of poor decisions that squandered our momentum, hard work and numerous point scoring opportunities this past Sunday. I think our defense should be fine provided our offense does its' part in carrying the time of possession load so as not to exhaust our defensive unit and make things any easier for Rodgers & Co., especially in the closing stages of the game. I am particularly interested in seeing how our offensive line matches up against the Packers D in terms of its' ability to consistently create holes for Johnson and Ivory and sufficient time for Smith to throw the ball effectively. Like most people, I really am anxious to see how well our DBs and CBs stack up against Nelson and Cobb.

It would be great if we could take the Cheeseheads out of the game early on by securing a lead at the outset and applying pressure/forcing mistakes on Rodgers. Once he's allowed to get comfortable and establishes a rhythm with his passing game, he can be incredibly difficult to stop.

displacedfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm feeling good about the Jets chances. But I'm cautiously optimistic. I want us to run the ball down their throats like we did the Saints last year. They can't stop the run. Then hit them with play action and timely throws. We can win this, the Packers don't scare me.

dawinner127 likes this.
  5. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

We need geno to perform like he did in atlanta last year in primetime. Taking chunks of yards, not turning the ball over, running when the opportunity is available and sliding or getting out of bound before getting hit.

Lots of people forget that when we played atlanta last year they still had mr julio and their season was very much alive, that was a huge win for us on the road. WE can do the same this sunday just have to play mistake free football.

6. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

This is a very winnable game. I'm much more confident that we will when this game then I was prior to the season starting. Packers offense loos vulnerable. This is a game where our defensive line can make a statement and take over the game against a poor packers offensive line. Our secondary is good enough to hold up if we can get pressure on Rodgers.

Also this is a game where we have a chance to dominate in the running game and control the clock.

What scares me most is that this game is in lambo but I think we come out on top

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Someone should tell CBS that no one wants to the Broncos demolish the Chiefs, put the Jets-Packers game as game of the week. Would love nothing more than to see Jim Nantz rage when the jets beat the Packers, besides Nantz and Simms only can get one more Packers game this year while they will surely be calling a crap load of Broncos games.

Give the Jets the national audience so all of the haters can get a wake up call.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I totally agree that the negative press is tailor-made for RR's style of "Us-Against-The-World" motivational strategy and should pay dividends this Sunday.

With all due respect, I am inclined to disagree with your assessment of Luck which, if I am understanding you correctly, seems to suggest that he's just a mediocre talent. Even as an inexperienced QB who is still very much a work in progress, I believe Luck is head and shoulders above most and will be an elite QB very soon. To throw into double and triple coverage constantly, as you put it, AND get away with it, should tell you something special right there. In his two year and one game career, he's already had eight 4th quarter comebacks and eleven game winning drives, which should also tell you something. I also think your conclusion that he's only successful because he gets to throw the ball so much is off base. How many interceptions do you think Geno would have had if he was forced to make 54 pass attempts in a comeback situation against a team like the Broncos (which we may find out soon enough) the way Luck did on Sunday night when he almost pulled out another come from behind win against Peyton and the Broncos?

9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Lol chill bro its week 1... we played a shitty team.. if were still #1 after this week.. then we can start boasting that.. KINDA.. cuz we have a harsh 5 games straight.. this is gonna make us or break us. And everything about this game does not say NY Jets win.. we're not LOB, we cant do the things they do, yet.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  10. JetLifeLo

I think its gonna be up to Geno. He cant afford to have red zone turnovers. (hopefully we just let ivory punch it in next time, not the trickery shit) But if he plays passing wise as good as he did last game we'll be in good shape.. what was his COM/ATT like 23/28? i'll take that all day

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

yup and after we beat the Pack you'll be all like "Don't get too excited. The Pack has a banged up O-Line. Wait till we play someone good".

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yes, so it was a level playing field and Rodgers had a better year than every other QB

13. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Rodgers didn't throw for 5k. You're just making shit up now.

abyzmul likes this.
  14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Elway had some of his best years late in his career. He wasn't as mobile but was as great as ever.

15. JetLifeLo

I will. Until this 5 game stretch is over, even though i must say.. all but Denver looks pretty beatable right now in my trying my hardest not sound bias opinion.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we play like we did against the Faiders with penalties and turnovers we have a 90+% chance of losing all 5.

On the other hand if Rex cleans up the penalties and Geno cleans up the turnovers all 5 games are closer to 50:50, which means they'll come down to ref calls and a crazy good play here or there by either team.

As far as Denver Peyton tore it up the first half but was almost shut down the 2nd half. So it may depend on which Peyton shows up. This is a home game for the Jets and we all know how great Peyton played at the swamp the last time he was here.

17. BobbyGM8000

BobbyGM8000 Active Member

Why doesnt Denver look beatable? Just like the Saints were supposed to run the Jets over last year right? The whole world picked NO to stomp the Jets and the Jets demolished them

18. JetLifeLo

i'll be at that game for sure. Were 4-0 in the metlife when im in attendance! hopefully that accounts for something when the time comes lmao!

19. JetLifeLo

b/c the Match ups said other wise. Their weak o-line + weak run game vs our young hungry up and coming defensive line. Our solid run game vs their shakey run D. Ground N Pound, Attack Drew Brees head. Formula for an upset. Oh and lets not forget we were home and WE WERE IN THE STADIUM GOING BONKERS!!! I was there and i didnt get my voice back til friday, Saints couldnt even communicate correctly.

Peyton has a good o-line, and historically crazy good weapons to pass to (welker will be back), plus a crazy fast RB that can run & catch. They also now have a scary good defense up front and quality players in the secondary too. (esp with their REAL CB coming back from that ACL injury)

20. BobbyGM8000

BobbyGM8000 Active Member

Watch the Jets beat the Broncos. Denver is good but they are beatable. Hit Peyton and keep the pressure on him