2014 Week 2- New York Jets @ Green Bay Packers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Sep 7, 2014.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think we actually have a better team in terms of talent, which is something sort of new to be able to say. We may shoot ourselves with mistakes but I genuinely believe our team is better.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If we can run the ball and the Packers can't and we limit turnovers this is a win. Rodgers is going to be a very entertaining sideshow in that situation just like Drew Brees was in the win against the Saints last year. Otherwise this is probably a loss.

3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

That may actually be true, but it's not in all the right places.

jilozzo likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's going to be hard to win this game. Going into Lambeau is tough enough, especially when it is their home opener coming off a loss and a few extra days preparation. I really doubt the Jets come out of this one with a win and I wouldn't be surprised if they get the doors blown off them a little.

The one thing I think the Jets could exploit is Green Bay's rush D. If they are able to run the ball and control the clock they might be able to keep it close until the end, but it's going to be tough to stop Rodgers and it is a hostile environment for Geno Smith.

5. Br4d

Great DL beats great QB most of the time. That's why the Giants are two-time champs in the Eli era.

6. NYJalltheway

That is typically true, but Rodgers isn't just a great qb.

7. Br4d

If the Packers can't run the ball they're going to have a hard time winning even at home. If they can't stop the run they're going to have a hard time winning. If both are true it's going to come down to whether Geno limits the turnovers.

I believe the Jets could get a couple of picks against Rodgers if he's forced to throw the ball from bad down and distance repeatedly.

8. Br4d

At this point in his career he's just a great QB. His supernatural season was in 2011, which is a long time ago in NFL years - almost an eternity.

If the Packers had great personnel all around him things might be different, but he's in the Roethlisberger situation now with not quite enough talent and the offensive line fraying in front of him.

MaximusD163 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  9. NYJalltheway

His effect on the game has never wavered. Just about every year he has ever started is in the 100qb rating range. I know that's not the whole picture, but the pack since 2010 has not had a good defense, and yet he wins games, and it's despite questionable coaching.

10. NYJalltheway

Yes the nyj should dominate the los, but no matter how great i may feel about it, the gb pass game vs our secondary depth scares me.

I'm still very much on the fence with outcome, but i know i like the jets covering the spread.

11. Br4d

Which pretty much makes him a great QB. Not that QBR really means all that much but it is what the experts rate a guy at by watching every play. In 2011 Rodgers QBR was 87.1. In 2012 it was 74.7. In 2013 it was 68.7. That's what I'm talking about. Not only has Rodgers play declined statistically over the last three seasons but when the people who in theory know what good QB play is all about rate those plays their opinion of them has diminished as well.

He's not the unbeatable guy he was when the Packers went 15-2 in 2011 (and were beat by the Giants DL in the playoffs). They're 18-11 with him at QB since then including the playoffs. That's a big difference. The team has declined some around him, particularly on defense, but Rodgers play has also declined some. That's understandable, he's beginning to go post-prime and most QB's tend to get injured more often and play less effectively as they go post-prime.

12. ArodtoJennings

ArodtoJennings Active Member

Good luck this week Jet fans. Here is to a good game with no injuries. I admit to being very nervous about this one. We looked awful in week one.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. and Br4d like this.
  13. NYJalltheway

You do realize he is 30 right?

14. MaximusD163

There was a very unique connection he had with his receivers at the time as well. Back then they had a younger Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, and Jermichael Finley. The only one left over is Nelson, and although he is good he is only one guy. The defense is definitely not so great either. Charles Woodson had his last good year with the Packers, BJ Raji is declining and out of shape, the LB corps is fairly weak even with the addition of declining Julius Peppers, and the secondary is decent in coverage but have tackling issues. They just aren't the same team that was a top 3 team. If things swing the right way this can be a win. I'd love to spank them and make some people notice.

All Gas No Shake and Altoona like this.
  15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am really looking forward to this game. Again it will come down to the front 7. Now we face a HOF caliber QB w/ some nice weapons. I don't expect domination from the D but can they keep this game in the late teens/early 20s rather than the 30s? if they do we'll have a shot.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They will run it enough just from Rodgers opening up the D through the air. This is going to be very tough to win

17. ArodtoJennings

ArodtoJennings Active Member

I have some bad memories against the Jets. The 2006 game where you blew us out. Ouch that one hurt. Pennington was the QB.

18. MaximusD163

I just want to know if Milliner will be playing, because it WILL make a difference.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This week is the opposite of Week 1. Instead of being at home, against a terrible team, where a loss would be unacceptable, now it is on the road, against a good team, where a win would a little surprising. I think if you watched all the games yesterday, you can't just assume the Jets will lose. Anything is possible, including the Jets D-line DESTROYING that Packers O-line. Hope Milliner is back and Geno plays well and the Jets can win this thing. It will be a close game. Can't make mistakes.

20. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

RUN RUN RUN THE BALL!

Keep the tempo, and then let 7 air it out, play stout D, and cut the penalties and I think we have a chance...

Wow, was that a positive gameday post? hmmmm....