2014 Week 1- Oakland Raiders @ New York Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Aug 31, 2014.

1. CaneGreen

CaneGreen Member

The D would have gotten an A from me today...but I still dont trust our corners. I dont feel like they were tested enough and with GB gettin trashed last week and Arod being accused of ducking Sherman, Rodgers will be all over the field throwing darts next week. Ivory gets the game ball. He put the nail in the coffin. Looks like we needed it...shoulda put up 38 today. Btw I saw people bashing Marty and calling Rex's team dysfunctional after 2 quarters..smh stop it. They called a great game. More offensive synergy and I can see us puttin up 24 a game...coupled with the D we will be hard to beat.

2. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

patriots are going to lose, thank the lawd

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I consider this game to be the final test before the actual season begins. Jets passed, but MM needs to stop being fancy.

4. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

And for at least one beautiful week the Patriots will have sole possession of last place in the AFC East.

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

So Pats are in the last place in div? LOL

6. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Bittersweet cause the fish win.

7. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

GOT to clean up the penalties. They were killers, and we would have lost against a better team.

Overall we were good. The offense looks leaps and abounds ahead of where it was last year. The only problem I have with Geno is him losing 500 yards on that one sack to knock us out of FG range. The defense will be fine.

8. CaneGreen

CaneGreen Member

Everything he called was right on time. how about the players execute. 1 was a vick touchdown bad throw, another a geno fumble. Had Vick comlepleted that pass, which he 100% should have, he would have been a great decoy in the coming weeks while lined up that formation and gave defenses something else to gameplan for. I like a jet team taking chances. shows their confident and there is no better time to throw bullshit out there then against a rookie playing for the Raiders...

9. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I'm glad we got the win, but we should have blown them out .

A better team will take advantage of our lack of discipline, and end up beating us.

Geno was stout, the front 7 was as well, and our secondary played suprsingly well.

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

We played like shit. We got lucky Ivory pulled that long run out of his ass.

AK-JETS4Life likes this.
  11. AK-JETS4Life

AK-JETS4Life Active Member

Yeah, but it would have been called for holding either way. Remember, there was a flag on that play. But it was no doubt a bad mistake. The jets should have score 30 points in this game, but the penalties killed them. The jets can't do that against greenbay.

12. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I think this is what you call an ugly win.
    Geno is better BUT he still has ball security issues.

As expected the D-kine dominated, but the team was playing against a rookie quarterback in hus first game.
    The REAL test us next week in Green Bay.
    The Packers will be foaming at the mouth, looking for redemption.

No Jets fan should be thinking championship, much less playoffs after today's performance.

13. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

My impressions:

- Geno overall looked much better than last season, but I still want to see him play against some better defenses. His passes for the most part looked good. However, he still has the turnovers issues, with the pick, and the two fumbles. One thing that worries me in particular is his running. It's a double edged weapon: one one hand, he really used it effectively today to gain first downs, evade tacklers and keep plays alive. On the other hand, when he runs, he flails his arms for balance, and when one of them is holding the ball, it just creates opportunities for defenders to strip the ball. Still, all in all, last year he couldnt move the ball and turned it over. Now he s turning it over but at least moving the ball, so lots of improvement.
    - Decker looked great. Kerley had sure hands again, but wasnt very productive, just catching some short passes. Salas had the huge drop, but otherwise played ok, Nelson was so so. Cumberland and Amaro were quiet for the most part, though Cumberland had a couple of nice plays early.
    - Like everyone else, I am tired of fancy playcalling, like that Vick throw near the end-zone, or Ivory running sideways. I think we have enough offensive talent now that we don't need to waste plays on that stuff.
    - The running game was excellent, with both Ivory and CJ doing really well, and the offensively line doing a heck of a job blocking.
    - The penalties were just killer. Colon in particular, man.. I am really torn about him. On one hand, I think he s really good at run blocking (and decent at pass blocking), but on the other, he costs us so much with penalties.
    - The Defense was dominant for most of the game. Up until that last touchdown drive, we held them to 76 yards for most of the game, and only gave up one TD when they started at our 28. It seemed like the D-Line was quiet until the very end, but we held their 2 excellent running backs (Drew-Jones and McFadden) to 25 yards total, and the D-Line was the main reason for that. The linebackers played well.
    - AA did a nice job as a cornerback. He got beat early on a pass, but after that, made some outstanding tackles and did a good job in coverage. Walls got beaten on that TD throw, and once again, he couldnt interfere with the ball coming in high. We need Milliner back, and I think once he s back, it will be Milliner and Allen as the 2 starting CBs.
    - Pryor had a really good game. Yeah, he dropped the pick-six, but the fact that he was there in position to break it up at least and possibly intercept it was good. He played as a free safety today mostly, with Landry playing in the box more (and doing a heck of a job). Pryor had 2 passes defensed and made several nice tackles. Not bad at all for your first NFL game.
    - The play where Coples tackled Drew-Jones and made him punt the ball back overtook the Butt Fumble and Geno's Behind the back Butt Fumble II as the funniest play I've ever seen in football. I almost choked on food laughing.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Initial take:

- usual rollercoaster performance by the Jets
    - Geno played overall pretty well - some nice runs and some nice throws - I don't blame him too much for the pick but the fumbles were bad and that sack for -25yds or whatever was a really bad move
    - the backfield is great - so good to have so many nice options back there as the game goes on
    - Colon is a penalty machine, I would rather he was not out there
    - AA played great and was MVP for me
    - way, way, way too many penalties but they were not discipline penalties and so its more on the players than the coaches IMO
    - hate that we always seem to make things so hard for ourselves but we come out of week 1 with a win, with no major injuries and a lot of positives - so a thumbs up by the end (now the memories of the first quarter are starting to fade.

Also - what a week for crazy results - Phi coming back from 17 down to win 34-17, the Phins closing out the Pats, the Bills winning against the Bears, the Browns nearly beating the Steelers after being way down

15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I think that Vick to Decker pass was a pretty good ass play though, Vick was off with the pass.

16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Our running game is sexy as shit!!!

CaneGreen and HardHitta like this.
  17. Midlife Crysis

I missed a few defensive plays but didn't see Kyle Wilson do anything to hurt us. Do we have to give him credit for doing his job today? :)

And I really like Marty M -- think he did a lot to make lemonade out of lemons (most of the time) last season -- but I'm with everyone else here who thinks he needs to be less cute in the red zone.

18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

How bout this: with a rookie quarterback and a supposed agenda to establish the run to protect him, the Raiders ran for 25 yards.

19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Why disrupt the dynamics by getting Vick in. He did it twice, and twice otherwise great drive stalled. Yes, Vick should've completed that pass. Why bother though? running game was working, Geno was doing just fine... Why change when it's not broken?

20. CaneGreen

CaneGreen Member

No reason to not be thinking playoffs. We went 8-8 last year with the worst offense in football. This D is legit top 5 giving the corners hold up and if Geno keeps us in it with good ball security and a decent td-int ratio...I can see us winning the division. Lets be honest...the the pats, Miami and the bills arnt scary...its the NFC north that scares me and i think we can come out on top with what we have. The D is that talented, the rushing attack will be Top 3 meaning we will control the pace of the game slowing down high potency offenses ala GB and Chicago and I have faith Geno will only get better as the season progresses...