How will JJ Watts contract impact the NYJ and Mo Wilk

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by thedrjay, Sep 3, 2014.

1. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

JJ Watt signed a new deal?

Damn, I didn't read that in the other 20 post long thread about this.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

. I'd guess 5 for 85, 45 mill guaranteed

4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I think it's fair enough to ask this question here. Don't think it was intending to bring us breaking news about JJ Watt but to ask a relevant question about how his contract will impact our negotiations with Mo.

From my point, I don't think we were ever going to be able to get a deal done with Mo while Watts was pending. Everyone knew it was going to set a precedent. Not sure that Watt's contract has really raised the bar that much, so that's probably good for us. An of average $12M per year for Mo, or about half Idzik's current cap space if you prefer, I'm guessing?

5. Fleetwood

Fleetwood Member

I agree with this. Too many thread start out assuming that everyone has read the other thread(s) on an issue. If you already have the details, skip the link. It's not like the OP contained the source material in the post.

6. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

Not the best to assume this but if Idzik (and all the other league execs) knew Watt was getting resigned prior to the start of the season, he had enough forethought to know the team would need a minumum of 11-13 million per season to allocate to a new Wilkerson deal which i see as the range. So 78ish million over 5 years possibly 25-30 million guarenteed?

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Psht, are you talking about that #96 guy? Dude's never even made a Pro Bowl.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He won't command in Watts ballpark unless he goes out there and has a 15 sack year in dominating fashion.

Watt is a top 10 maybe top 5 player in the NFL and to have a 20.5 sack/16 PD/4 FF season to go along with being the face of the franchise is truely special.

Wilkerson is a special talent and makes our defense what it is or can be. But he doesn't yet have the accolades to compare. His importance is similar to that of what Haloti Ngata brings to the table for the Ravens. He'll get paid like most are saying in the $11-13 million range and if he gets low balled and leaves after his option year it would be a disaster for this team.

9. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be the only one to say offer him a team friendly contract, if he doesn't like it, let him walk in 2-3 years. 8-10 mil range.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i think he gets at least 13M per...
    he's not going to sign a team friendly deal at this point, so i think we'll wait to ensure he is still playing at top form before dishing it out.

11. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Mo wilk is overrated and nowhere near the same league as watt.

Although dominant at times, he also does disappear for long stretches of the game....

--------------------------------------

Both Richardson and Harrison have much higher ceilings than wilk, and I think they are more critical to the teams future.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wilkerson plays every position and technique on the defensive line. Watt plays one position and 2, maybe 3 different techniques at the max.

#12 abyzmul, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I agree to an extent,he def isn't getting a JJ Watt contract but he deserves a solid contract.He does disappear pretty often at times.I'm expecting Wilk to have atleast 14 sacks this year ,I predicted he would have 10 before last season

14. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

6 year extension with $80M in new money, including a $10M roster bonus in 2015 and a $6M signing bonus. $8M base salary in 2016-2019, $10M for 2020 and $12M for 2021. Salary fully guaranteed through 2017, totaling $32M in fully guaranteed money (not including the already guaranteed salary for 2015).

The roster bonus takes advantage of the rollover money from this season while keeping Wilkerson's cap hit low into the future. This is a contract that rewards past performance while keeping a cornerstone player with a manageable cap charge into the future. I could see this deal happening this year, but I bet it gets pushed into next summer.

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

he'll get in the 13-14M per range.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

What if Idzik offers him an insane contract but he wants insane 2x? Mo seems pretty humble but you never know what other GMs are whispering in his agent's ear.

How much would be too much to retain his services? If it were this year, $12M/yr is close to the ceiling. Beyond that it starts getting iffy.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

What if Mo speaks regularly to a palm reader who told him he would be the highest paid athlete of all time? Forever?

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I believe that goes without saying

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I dont see why we have to pay wilk based on JJ Watts contract. Wilk doesn't seem like the type of player thats even worried about things like that. He knows his big pay day is coming, Watt is on another level, Wilk is like on top of the second tier 3-4 DE's (Honestly Watt is in a class by himself IMO). Maybe we can get away with a 5 yr 50-60 million type contract. Only thing that pisses me off is we shoulda paid Wilk before hand while we had the money bc now there is going to be a bidding war for him which scares me having Idzy as our GM (if we were to wait until next offseason to do make a move).

20. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

How good is Mo next to Watt?

How much is he willing to shave off to help keep some of his SoA bud's if needed?

Now that Watt is signed this is what will define how much makes. It'll be a fraction of the cost of Watts deal obviously but the fact that JJ made 100 mill means Mo will probably make 60 mill at the lowest and 80 mill at the highest.