Available cornerbacks after cuts..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rico college, Aug 28, 2014.

1. deeznuts21

deeznuts21 Member

Well Put! Besides McFadden , Tommie Campbell from the Titans is also worth signing .. I have seen the two play as I worked in both Cleveland and Memphis the past two years. I would play them over Kyle Wilson any day!

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Campbell played 22 defensive snaps last years and 68 in 2012, you must have been looking really hard to see him play.

Footballgod214 and Jets69 like this.
  3. deeznuts21

deeznuts21 Member

It doesn't take 90 snaps to realize he is a better corner than Kyle Wilson. That's not hard to see at all!

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It takes more than 22.

Jets69 and b.reyes16 like this.
  5. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

For those of you who love to hate on Kyle Wilson...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/10/sig-stats-slot-cornerbacks/

Dude's really good at what he does. His value is as a slot corner. He is quite terrible on the outside. The secondary is much better than given credit for. I'm only really worried about the #2 CB, whoever it may be.

How does Derek Cox sound? He's always been pretty good man-to-man.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I really don't get Kyle Wilson's value even based on these stats. Everytime I've seen him he's constantly getting picked on regardless where he's lined up.

Regardless of the fact that he's not very good, that doesn't mean he's not a pro football player. It's not as easy especially in a system like Rex's to walk someone off the street and throw them into the NFL fire.

Not all football players are good, there are certainly average and crappy pro players but that doesn't mean they don't completely belong on a roster.

7. b.reyes16

You don't get his value because you don't understand the importance of a nickel corner. People develop biases against players and never let them go, as is the case with Kyle Wilson. No, he hasn't turned out to be the player we wanted out of a first rounder, but that doesn't mean he has no value. An underachiever, not a bust. It's hard to find someone who can play the nickel well and that's exactly what Wilson does. We saw just how important the nickel was when we let Strickland walk a couple years ago and then presumed to get burnt by #3 receivers.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Trust me, I understand the value of a nickel corner and what exactly Kyle Wilson does. I also watched him get torched against the Bengals this preseason along with much of his career when teams decide that they want to send their slot receiver deep. If you read one on one coverage with Kyle Wilson out of the slot without safety help over the top, throw it deep because the guy can run with receivers but simply doesn't find the ball. He doesn't move his feet well either as receivers start to attack him and often is left flat footed while a receiver breaks in or out.

What he is good at is not allowing huge YAC as he'll get burned on in or out routes and recover the make the tackle after 12 yards rather than 40. This is a valuable trait to have in a football player because it cuts away big plays on short routes and he is a solid tackler. That doesn't mean he's an all-world nickel corner, but it does mean he doesn't completely suck, which is why there's no reason to dump him for an even bigger bum that will let the Welker's of the world run for 30 yards before making the tackle.

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Fortunately slot receivers are usually not major deep threats, and more often than not the bulk of their passes are caught 15 yards or less from the LoS. Calvin Pryor is the other offset to this, even as a rookie I wouldn't be surprised if he's the best safety we've had since Rex Ryan came here. He has solid range and can pick off a ball thrown over the middle, plus he'll be wrecking those slot receivers on deep or short routes.

I am very curious who we'll be trotting out there week 1 though, maybe Walls and Allen on the outside?

10. Jonathan_Vilma

He should fill the same role that LaRon Landry filled in 2012 when we only gave up 189 yards per game through the air without Revis. I don't know how much of that season people can remember but Landry was a terror for quarterbacks over the middle, which allows the cornerbacks to face on routes on the outside and more specifically the deep outs and stops outside the numbers. The wonders a safety who attacks the ball and receivers can do for corners is really undervalued.

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I remember it very well but I think Pryor will be better, even as a rookie. Pryor plays with a more natural flow to the ball than Landry ever did. Landry always looked like he was almost out of control too.

12. The Waterboy

Something tells you you were just talking out of your ass and don't really know shit about him, just joining in the chorus about getting rid of Wilson. Campbell couldn't beat out Sensabaugh for nickel position last year and with Verner leaving and an extra spot opening up he couldn't make the cut but he is now that good that we are going to replace Wilson with him. This is not at all a backing of Wilson's play but if we are to pick him up let him show he can earn the slot position before just deciding he is better than Wilson.

13. deeznuts21

deeznuts21 Member

Something tells me your the owner of a miserable life that comes on to talk shit behind a monitor as a shield. My opinion of Wilson is my own and you don't need to read if it doesn't coincide with yours. In house trolls bore me. Now fuck off as I have better shit to do then entertain douche bags. Your user name best describes what position you play in life.

14. The Waterboy

LOL, keep just throwing out names of bench players that get cut to try and sound knowledgeable. 11 tackles on 22 snaps, yep you saw Campbell play a whole lot.

15. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Ravens just cut Derek Cox

b.reyes16 likes this.
  16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but 11 tackles on 22 snaps, if true, is mind-boggling.

17. The Waterboy

Not really unless we are looking for another gunner on ST, 9 out of 11 tackles were on punt coverage and the other 2 were after he gave up a completion.

18. Monty_Droppings

Monty_Droppings Active Member

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

20. b.reyes16