Available cornerbacks after cuts..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rico college, Aug 28, 2014.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'd pay attention to the Packers cut list; they have a history of drafting quality DBs in the late rounds that can play man.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Milliner showed signs of coming on late last season. There's no reason to think he won't continue to improve with a year's experience and knowing the system. Either way, the Jets have to find out if he's their future #1 CB.

We possibly could have done better at CB, but what would have it cost? What would you have done differently? What FA CB would you have signed, or what CB would you have drafted? I wasn't thrilled with this year's draft. I like Pryor a lot and we definitely needed help at safety, but I'm not sure that taking him was a better than taking Cooks or Jordan Matthews. I didn't like the Amaro pick at all. I preferred ASJ or even Fiedorowicz, but would have even been happier with a lower-ranked TE.

The thing is we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out. It takes 2-3 years at a minimum to fairly assess a draft. If things don't work out, then I'll be right there with you criticizing Idzik in 2016 or 2017. With all the draft picks and this being such a deep, strong draft, this was a huge draft that's going to have a tremendous bearing on the team's success over the next 5-10 years. I he missed on this draft, but his others are very successful, it will hurt some, but I'll give him a pass. No GM is perfect. He's done a lot of good so far. Hopefully, in time, he will be proven to be an excellent GM and this a great draft.

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

What I would have done differently was sign a CB that was a starting caliber player.
    Not someone who's been on 10 teams in 5yrs or is known to be an injury risk.
    Yes Milliner came on at the end of last season but that doesn't mean he's guaranteed to continue to get better.
    My issue is we could have brought in a 2nd tier player and not broke the bank.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Idzik better be reaching out to Champ Bailey's camp asap.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OK, but who is that starting caliber CB that you would have signed? Who is the 2nd tier player that you would have brought in and not broken the bank? Please be specific.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Honestly DRC was one guy, I can't recall the others right now but there were guys out there that could have been had.

7. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

Agreed. His skills have diminished but this CB core needs a veteran presence to help keep them together and grow.

8. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

Jets may want to take a look at Leon McFadden cut from the Browns as well. He was taken in the 3rd round last year, played only 4 games and the Browns gave up on him.

I would have no problem either if we picked up Hayden from the Bears to replace Kyle Wilson.

Jetaho likes this.
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Not Idzik's style to sign somebody, anybody, that is old and winding down their career. If it was there were more than a few CBs he could have signed in FA that would fit that bill.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's not but none of those other CB's were a first ballot HOF'er. Champ is near the end but his veteran presence alone would be a vast upgrade to our weak, inexperienced secondary.

12. pender30

pender30 Member

Louis Young from the Broncos got cut. He was undrafted, but he's tall (6' 1"), fast (4.47) and he was lighting up broncos training camp

13. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

The Steelers 5th round CB, Shaquille Richardson got released. He missed the final 2 preseason games with a knee injury but much like with IK, I think if the talent is there, Idzik would not hesitate on signing him.

14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Nobody fits Idziks bill unless they are guarnteed to get injured,arrested,go awol,or will def sign a 1 year deal,or all 4 of the things Idzik looks for in players

JetsNation06, TNJet and jetlife21 like this.
  15. BakerMaker

74 likes this.
  16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Even if we do sign a guy like that he isn't gonna be ready week one in a whole new system,its to unrealistic to expect a rookie cut from another team to come and start for us next Sunday.Its either a veteran or nothing as far as starters go

17. pender30

pender30 Member

We need depth, and Idzik seems to favor young guys over vets. I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in somebody at CB, but I would be surprised if anybody we bring in at this point is starting week 1. I just don't think we'll find that kind of quality in these roster cuts.

18. BakerMaker

Starting? No.

Someone to jump in on special teams if Lankster gets more playing time and get some snaps vs Oakland? Yes.

19. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Unless there was something behind-the-scenes with Cro, I would've resigned him. He always seemed to want to be a Jet and would've been a stop-gap with the knowledge of Rex's D. Obviously his best days were behind him, but I still liked him better than the DP signing...

20. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

I don't think we should sign Champ Bailey. I've seen him play last year and he looked done even then. It would be worse than Ed Reed last year.

Also, everyone is criticizing Idzik for not signing a corner, but I think he did the right thing. They tried to sign DRC for reasonable money which would've been fine, but the Giants gave him like 8 million a year, which is insane for a guy who had like one decent season in the pros. It's not just that it would be a bad contract, but it would also cause other players to seek bad contracts, and is a bad road to go down. They also tried with that other guy from the Colts, who isn't that good either, and a similar thing happened. I applaud Idzik for not wasting money overreaching on these 2nd tier guys and killing us in the future when our own 1st tier guys are up for new contracts. Alterraun Verner was a quality young CB, but he is a zone CB, and as we all know by now, Rex would rather "fish for a crocodile with his manhood" to quote Al Bundy than play zone on a regular basis, so that would've probably not gone well.

deeznuts21, 74 and LAJet like this.