Available cornerbacks after cuts..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rico college, Aug 28, 2014.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Purifoy is weak and too slow, there is a reason he didn't get drafted besides his legal issues. Much better options out there even before cuts, I am sure there will be much better options after cuts.

74 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't. If Milliner wasn't hurt, things would look very different. Similarly, if Allen and McDougle weren't hurt things would look different. No one could predict that so many CBs on the Jets would go down with injuries or that Dimitri Patterson would go AWOL.

You're looking at things as if the way to do things is to go "all in" every year. It isn't. That was Tanny's insane way of doing things and it about ruined the team. Idzik was smart enough not to sacrifice the future by overpaying for a FA CB. He also didn't give in to temptation to draft yet another CB in the first round. You don't have to have two first round CBs as starters.

RuJFan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I agree Purifoy is weak but he is not slow. He ran a slow forty because he's a knucklehead who did not take the draft process seriously. Roberson is the guy I would prefer. Although Roberson is legitimately slow, he has natural cover skilss. If there are better options, great; if not, I wouldn't scoff at either of them. I'm not expecting to get superstars from the roster cuts, just guys with some cover skills or at least some potential. Roberson and Purifoy have both.

#43 legler82, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  4. NCJetsfan

I disagree, but since you think you know more than Idzik, what would you have done? Who would you have signed and what would you have paid?

5. NCJetsfan

LOL I knew it! Your idea was to re-sign Revis! Please. That ship has sailed, as it should have. You guys need to get over it. That was NEVER gonna happen, nor should it. Cromartie was awful last year, he's getting older, his speed is not what it was, and he's not physical. He was NOT an answer.

6. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Texans released Brandon Harris.

That would be a solid pickup.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Similarly to not needing two first round cornerbacks as starters, few teams have first round corners that have turned into studs, and the best one in the NFL right now is a 5th rounder in Sherman.

It seems the flag throwing bananzas this preseason indicate the NFL is trying to eliminate the press man corner. If you cough on a receiver running a streak it's pass interference or illegal contact. This is why the NFL either needs to review the calls or really tell the referees to back off because they error on the side of throwing the flag.

It seems more reasonable to want good safeties who use their eyes to follow what the quarterback is doing and bust their ass to get to the ball as well as good tackling corners who don't let things get thrown over their head.

The league is ever changing and slowly trying to eliminate man to man defense if they want to keep calling illegal contact, holding and pass interference at this amazingly high rate.

8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

A UDFA won't be able to come in here and play in a game this season. But while were at it, I like this guy Greg Ducre http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...5/san-diego-chargers-udfa-watch-gregory-ducre

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Roberson I would possibly take a look at but wouldn't waste time on Purifoy. In addition to Purifoy's play I still think he needs to grow up and I predict he ends up in the substance abuse program within his 1st 12 months in the league if someone does pick him up. I could be wrong but we shall see.

10. legler82

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Lol yea ain't that some shit

12. legler82

Hey if we had 4-5 NFL caliber CBs on the roster yes but these are desperate times. He'd be an UFA picked up after getting cut there would be no risk in taking a flyer on him even if he stays high as a kite.

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Purifoy was always overrated imo

14. legler82

Purifoy is also a very good ST player. He's one of the few somewhat well known players that actual enjoy it.

15. legler82

Agreed. As a 2nd and/or 3rd round draft pick this is certainly true. However, as an UFA he has value and ceases to be overrated.

16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yea I mean overrated by the fans

17. legler82

It is what it is. Not thinking about that now just worried about our roster.

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Purifoy metrics were almost in the negatives. Like a .3 or something. A 7 starts to correlate with NFL viability. 10 would be elite prospect. So definitely guys with lower scores have become good players but a guy with a score that low Id say it's very slim to none chance.

#58 74, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  19. skoobz2001

skoobz2001 Active Member

I saw that too. Seems like a value (read:Idzik) pickup.

20. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

except Jets looking for starting caliber players. They have CB depth...they don't have starters.