HBO's The Leftovers

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Uniform Bomber, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

We could also add the woman from the opening scene of the pilot and being stressed with her baby. I think she also showed up in this last episode. Maybe a fun way of thinking about all of the celebrities that disappeared, I'm sure they meet the criteria in some way.

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's a good point. How many seasons you think this show will last? I'm giving it 3 or 4 seasons. Don't want to make it something like True Blood or Dexter.

3. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Right on. Definitely, the wailing baby was a stressor for that woman.

BTW, it was awesome seeing Laurie and her pass each other. Those brief interactions are powerful moments.

Haha I always forget about the celebrities having departed. And the Pope departing would definitely line up with the current theory.
    Good question. We know there will be a Season 2. I reckon that, at some point, the show will outlast the source material from the book.

Speaking of the book. I haven't read it, but I did read that Patti (GR leader) and Dean (bald guy) are not characters in the book.

4. DogWarZ

DogWarZ Active Member

Man I have watched this from the start with the wife and neither one of us can get into it. I mean the plot just treads water. Btw the never explain what actually happened in the book either. Ireally hate open ended ambiguous stories.especially since the GR main goal in the book is just to commit suicide so people won't forget but they never delve into the why and how come they are fine with it.

5. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

^^^^^^ SPOILER RIGHT ABOVE THIS POST ^^^^^^

Dude what the fuck? I'm sure this wasn't intentional as the show can certainly deviate from the book but still. I'm sure there are people who don't want to know what happened in the book. I'm not too into the show so I don't care but you just revealed some events that I'm sure people didn't want to know about until it happened on screen.

^^^^^^ SPOILER RIGHT ABOVE THIS POST ^^^^^^

Can we get spoiler tags on TGG?

6. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

Whew thanks for that spoiler alert, I was able to flick away I would ' like ' the post but I think I'll steer clear of this thread a bit

7. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

So dogwarz can't get into the show but posts a spoiler???
    Thanks

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, the guy is a faggot cubed.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

That was a great episode...Right from the womb, stolen.

Who the hell were those ladies in the car? I think they told the Chief "Are you ready?" on the day of the departure.

10. The Uniform Bomber

Dogwarz, that was a major blunder. I'm not gonna get pissed, but you gotta try to be better than that. Have some awareness.

In response to your post (I won't quote it): It's ok if you can't get into it. Some things aren't for some people.

Personally, I enjoy ambiguous stories for many reasons. One of them is how ambiguity mirrors many aspects of our lives. Who really has all the answers, especially to the gray area questions in life?

11. The Uniform Bomber

Oh man, good call. I intended to ask about that part and totally forgot.

Kevin was smoking a cig on the side of the road. A car with 4 (or 5?) women rolls up.

The passenger, an older woman, asks "Are you ready?"

Kevin reacts as if he doesn't know what she's talking about. Pretty sure he even says, "What?" as in "I have no idea..."

Upon Kevin's reply, the woman turns to the driver (maybe says something to driver, maybe doesn't; it was inaudible). Then she turns back to Kevin and says, "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were someone else." The car leaves.

What I thought most peculiar about that exchange was HOW the woman said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought..." She delivers the line in completely different way than when she asked him, "Are you ready?" The question was asked in a very serious tone and then her response was very lighthearted, almost laughing, as if to say, "Oops, my mistake hehe." Contrary to her happier tone, the rest of the women in the car had very solemn faces; they didn't share in her moderate humor about Kevin and him not being the 'right' guy.

The woman's sudden tonal shift and the stark contrast to the rest of the ladies' demeanor puzzles me.

But who were they? I suppose they could've been a cult, but nothing about them suggests that.

It was definitely a strange encounter, especially on the day of the Departed event. Had it not been for that manhole eruption, I think Kevin would have given more thought to it. But when he arrived home, he immediately started telling Laurie about the manhole. So, it's likely he forgot about it for the time being.

I assume the show will return to that at some point. I have no solid guesses, but I'd like to hear if someone does.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

When's the season finale? Next week?

joeuser likes this.
  13. The Uniform Bomber

Yep. There was no episode this week, presumably, because of the holiday. So, the finale is Sept. 7th.

joeuser likes this.
  14. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

Thought I might have missed it. If history holds true, it should be a strong finish & leave us hanging for next season...

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Wow, finally watched that last one--what a GREAT episode.

So many questions that we are at least getting answers to, this is great back story stuff.

Loved the symbolism of the High Schoolers "making a circuit" only to have it broken by a departed.

Loved comment by the puppy lady (the woman stoned to death Gladys) to Laurie when she said it was sad taking them from their mother--"oh, they don't need her anymore".

The baby from the womb, holy crap.

Kevin's daliance--just dashed? Beautifully filmed.

What a transition, the daughter from this fun loving, braces wearing, hugging mom-and-brother kid to a drawn out, sullen, depressed teen.

Nora on the mayor's campaign, the husband obviouslyy wasn't at work, the kids driving her crazy.

And Kevin's dad, what a great character Scott Glenn plays.

Also so much Tarrantino-like cross-over--Matt and his wife getting drunk and her having to drive, the old folks and downs syndrone kid in the house where the deer rampages through, Patti being Laurie's charge and how that flipped, Laurie passing the wailing-baby lady in the car, on and on.

Brilliant episode.

_

16. The Uniform Bomber

I want to watch the Finale tonight. Still debating if I'm going to, during the game.

The GR stole the pictures from peoples' homes.

The Loved Ones company uses images of a person to create a replica of that person, in the form of synthetic corpses.

We saw Pattie strew clothes on the church floor, stolen from the peoples' homes.

We saw Laurie - on behalf of the GR - pay for that shipment (of bodies wrapped in shrouds). The delivery guy says something like, "You people are sick."

It looks like the GR is planning to recreate the departed individuals. But what will they do. Imagine Nora Durst returning home one day to see her "kids" (synthetic bodies) tucked into their beds. That would be so fucked.

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Nope I'm taping it. Game tonite is a good one plus I have Manning on my FF team. Taking a business trip to Syracuse tomorrow (lol, how perfect), will watch it Thursday nite.

_

18. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

Nothing Else Matters - Metallica

19. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

Cant wait to start watching this !

20. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

Well... I'm hooked. I may watch the season over again on HBO GO... Very excited about next season!