Rex Ryan Approval Rating

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Monty_Droppings, Aug 20, 2014.

?

The Rex Ryan Era as a Whole

1. Approve

72 vote(s)
    87.8%
  2. Disapprove

10 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Monty_Droppings

Monty_Droppings Active Member

Looking at his body of work as a whole, how do you think Rex Ryan has done as a head coach?

And why do you feel that way?

2. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

I'm in my mid 30's and I've followed this team since the early to mid 90's, basically when we got Boomer in 93. This is by far the most fun and exciting it's ever been being a jets fan. Rex makes plenty of mistakes but he's a good coach and the players want to play for him.

I have no idea who you would replace him with that would be an improvement either. The defense would surely take a step back and if the new coach fires morningweg and brings in his own guy for oc, then so would the offense. Its just not worth it. We're closer with Rex then we are with replacing Rex.

#2 Tballlz63, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    xxedge72x, Br4d and BacktoQueens like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

4. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

9/10 "It's ok" -IGN

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Someone say BBQ? I'll bring the beers ... I'll bring the beers

6. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

Lol this phone sucks, i meant to say I'm in my mid 30's now. But bbq is always welcome!

7. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

I've been a huge Rex fan but just when he was huge.

TNJet likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Bottom line: I've never had more FUN watching the NY Jets. Rex > God.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

So far I think he has done a solid job,I mean he does have a winning record 42-38 I belive.But he needs to put together a solid winning season this year.Videos of those two afc championahip games are starting to collect dust .We haven't had success in years now

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I honestly want to know who hasn't liked it.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

How can you not like a coach that gets the absolute MOST out of their players!

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This is a great point. If we really were going to overhaul this team then last year was the year to clean house or after 2012. I think it speaks more to firing Marty because that will completely stunt Geno's growth. Young quarterbacks need consistency around them and shifting pieces around just hurts them.

Rex gets another 2-3 period to get this team to compete in my eyes and after that a decision will most likely be made.

13. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

I totally agree about young qb's needing consistency. Just look at what happened to Jason Campbell. I think he was a legit starting qb, but having something like 4 different offensive coordinators in 5 years killed his career. Now all he can ever hope to be is a backup. Inconsistency will do that to a young qb.

In New England Brady has been running the same core offense since he first started. Yes it's evolved greatly from run heavy, to spread, to double tight end sets, but the language has stayed the same. I'm not saying that he still wouldn't have been Brady if he had to learn a new playbook every time New England got a new oc, but I definitely think it's made things easier on him.

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Loved the first 2 years. The last last 3 have been mediocre at best. Hopefully he can learn to be a balanced HC this year.

joeuser likes this.
  15. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

Exactly, Fat Rex was great - Skinny Rex not so much... Plus he's messed up my Rex Bobble Head... Of course, it was never right anyway, it didn't come with an ejecting headset...

16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Rex really is an awesome coach. The guy never had a decent QB to play with yet he still has a winning record. And he only has 1 losing season.

If somehow an average QB like Cutler or McNabb fell on his laps I am sure we would have made play offs more often than not. He is the man. I hope Geno turns out decent so we can start to see Jets making play offs regularly.

74 likes this.
  17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I'd give Rex about a 6.5, maybe a 7 if I am feeling generous, on a scale of 1 to 10. Over the course of his career with the Jets he has had a huge hole in not understanding how to run the O. Marty fills that hole now, but it has been a big problem in prior years.

I also think he plays favorites. While many, if not most, HC's do that, I still don't like it.

But given the roster as a whole, I think he gets more out of the players than the average NFL HC does. And he does understand Defense.

I dont place much emphasis on the entertainment factor, though. Yes he can be, but sometimes he makes me wince. Like some of his post game pressers down the stretch in 12 I thought he was losing his mind. And off the field stuff is problematic, too like the tatoo and also the feet thing. It's a mixed bag.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Approve: 2 AFCCGs, Winning Regular and Playoff Record, top defense every year and has brought relevancy.

19. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

I give Rex a solid 8.
    I truly love him as a coach and he changed the culture around the jets dramatically.

The only reason of not having a 10 is that I believe you need a SB ring and maybe our lack of balance in offense - but to be honest as a fan I rather have a defensive team as i believe it's more exciting to watch.

Heck i'll give him a 8.5!

20. Monty_Droppings

Monty_Droppings Active Member

I avoided posting my opinion in the OP as not to install a bias in the vote.

Here is my take:

When I became a Jets fan in the early-mid 2000's (yes, I'm a young one), the Jets were irrelevant, with brief sparks of life that continued to be snuffed out by misfortune at every turn.

After the dictatorship that was Mangini, who had a 16th ranked offense and defence; Rex came in with basically the same talent turned the '09 Jets into an All-Decade Defense, with stats mirroring the great '02 Bucs D. His mind for defense has never been challenged. It also became quickly evident that he was a superb motivator, getting the most possible out of his players. It also became quickly evident that he was very loyal to his players. He does not criticize them often in public, therefore when he does you know something is really out of the ordinary. The unfortunate thing is that Rex is simply not a very good talent evaluator, and due to that sometimes his loyalties get in the way of the team's progress. (see Reed, Ed)

That being said, I think Idzik complements Rex very well, with his "competition" mantra making it harder for Rex to play favorites. He also has made Rex dim down his bold predictions that put unnecessary pressure on the players.Also, for the first time, Rex has a competent offensive mind to run the offense. Rex's strong belief on running the ball must have an effect on the game plan, as Marty has been notorious in the past for getting cute with the pass for no reason (see McCoy, Lesean) I believe this is a staff that complements each other very well, covering each other's weaknesses while all having their own respective strengths.

If Rex was a quarterback, I would see Rex as a "system quarterback" kind of coach, where he NEEDS to have the correct people/staff around him in order for him to succeed. That being said, he is phenomenal at what he does, his mind for defense is second to very few in this NFL era, and he gets the most out of his players, they are willing to fight to [and sometimes past] the last whistle for him.

For the Rex Ryan era as a whole, 9/10, during the glorious playoff runs in 2009/2010, the Jets, not the Giants, were the talk of NY. The only thing he could've done better was win a Superbowl.

For Rex Ryan as a coach 8/10. It is great to see the amount of growth that we have seen from Rex as a coach over the past few years; I firmly believe that he can take the Jets to a Superbowl. But I can only hope that he will have the chance.